Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: think there will ever be a serious nazi game?

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default think there will ever be a serious nazi game?

aside from the occasional character you can pick for deathmatches or some crude internet flash novelty, do you think there will ever come a time when nazis could be playable characters in some type of game?

it wouldn't have to be some kind of empowerment to the ideology or a deathcamp simulator. we have hundreds of video games where you fight them in whatever ww2 / vampire-demon-plot is the latest rage. there are movies that have realistic portrayals of them, some ending with a theme of punishment or "what man is capable of".

what kind of villian can honestly be taken non-lightheartedly (i'm looking at you, GTA) and show the gaming audience a much squashed aspect of modern politik and warfare?

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm...except for multiplayer, I can't really think of an occasion where any game has let you play as a nazi. I couldn't really see there being a nazi only side game, as I don't think it would sell well, but it might be doable as an axis & allies campaign within one game. If you're thinking of some game where you're a nazi death camp soldier who wheelbarrows a pile of corpses into a pit....well...then I don't think we'll ever be seeing something like that.

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the main character of ring of red (ps2) was a former nazi ecommunicated from germany. however, the us version was edited so there's a gaping plot hole.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic insanester
    the main character of ring of red (ps2) was a former nazi ecommunicated from germany. however, the us version was edited so there's a gaping plot hole.
    What! thats such a cop out. Why not just hack away at A Hunt for Red October while your're at it. There was that one famicom game that fetches a somewhat high price. Other than that just play Wolfenstein

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Give Rockstar a few years to run out of ideas.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the free Wolfentstein: Enemy Territory online game. Or Wolfenstein for that matter... The online game anyway, can't play a Nazi in the single person game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Peragmatic Insanester
    think there will ever be a serious nazi game?
    What do you want? Schindler's List - The Video Game???

How do games such as Medal Of Honor go down in Germany?

Obviously they can't be as successful over there as they are in the UK or America, for obvious reasons... Like, what self respecting German wants to play a game where they are an American shooting their own?

I have a copy of the original MOH game on PSone and it's completely in German. No English. No other European languages. Just German. This got me thinking to whether the actual story in the game is the same as the English version, or was it edited slightly so as to not offend the Germans???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wouldn't Panzer General qualify?
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/panzer-general

I'd call it a serious game.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I swear there was a game released in the early 90's called Km manager or something that was based around running a nazi death camp. anyone else know anything?
    -Craig
    So it goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    Obviously they can't be as successful over there as they are in the UK or America, for obvious reasons... Like, what self respecting German wants to play a game where they are an American shooting their own?
    You mean like how the 194X series isn't as poular in Japan because of the subject matter?
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peragmatic Insanester
    think there will ever be a serious nazi game?
    What do you want? Schindler's List - The Video Game???

How do games such as Medal Of Honor go down in Germany?

I have a copy of the original MOH game on PSone and it's completely in German. No English. No other European languages. Just German. This got me thinking to whether the actual story in the game is the same as the English version, or was it edited slightly so as to not offend the Germans???
    read an article in some game mag about this (cant remember the name of the mag). Mentioned that the Germans don tmind because they're arent Nazis - which is a political party. Just because they're German != Nazi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would definitely play a Nazi death camp simulator game. While they're at they could do a "serious" suicide bomber game too. They could top the trilogy off with a Necro-pedophile game.

I really don't see the need for a Nazi game. Not many people have problems with killing Nazi's in game b/c they are scumbags. Why give Washington and groups against gaming more fuel? While I was obviously sarcastic if they made that stuff I would have to play no matter how offensive. Play and not buy. Fuck Nazi's.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.Faxanadu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only game I ever saw that dealt with the subject of Nazi's was Bionic Commando for the NES. I remember finishing that game for the first time..... "hey isn’t that….. it is….. oh wait….. oh there’s guts everywhere!”

Check out HitpointZ.com to see all my items for sale!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Guh, MORTYR. This was a funky FPS from around 1999 (actually released at the very beginning of 2000) that had you playing as the son of a Nazi (I think) from the future who had to go back and ruin some Nazi plans, you see. Lots of WWII guns and funky German-style weapons. The demo was actually pretty good looking. I don't suppose it holds up on merits of story and co-op like System Shock 2, but it looks a heck of a lot better as I recall. Or it did, anyhow, but I played no later than 2001.

The box art for this one had an overturned helmet with a pool of blood in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Glad to see someone remembers Mortyr. That was a fun game with an interesting twist. Here's a review.

Apparently Mortyr II came out in February this year. I knew nothing about this. Anyone play it? Here's another review.

I recall recently reading an article in PC Gamer regarding Call of Duty 2 wherein it said they were considering a campaign for the Germans. Apparently it has the backing of some of "the powers that be" at developer Infinity Ward.

Check it out here.

I know playing as a member of a notorious regime has to be carefully thought out, and considerate of those who suffered at their hands, but consider the following:

Call of Duty lets you play as the Soviets. Although an ally of the US and UK, they weren't exactly nice guys. Prior to the invasion of the USSR, the Soviets had allied themselves with Nazi Germany over the partition of Poland and the takeover of the Baltic States (Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia). Moreover, Stalin's regime was responsible for far more deaths than the Nazi regime.

Battlefield Vietnam, although not a single payer game, lets you play as the Communist North/Viet Cong. After the war, the Communists sent hundreds of thousands of people to "re-education" camps. During the war they used tactics such as "eliminating" the middle and upper class "bourgeois" members of the community such as teachers, local politicians and merchants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nothing to add, except . I have to agree with RCM here. Games have a bad rep anyway. Why bring the noise like that. I have thousands of games, i may get close to as many in the time coming. Maybe not if people start making games that make it politically correct to squash %80 of the gaming industry by restricting subject matter to sports and other non inflammatory content. JMO.
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

omg, i really hope you're not as stupid as that statement makes me think...

1) you are shooting your own in so many games, how can you play "Destroy all Humans (PS2)" ??

2) if you actually mean that we are shooting "our own" when we shoot nazis, then **** yourself. We are NOT shooting ourselves, we've got nothing to do with those bastards
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Disregard my previous post. I just realized it's July 1st. So this topic is clearly 3 months late for April fool's day, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without getting to aggressive, MoH is one of the most succesful games in Europe I'd say.

KZ Manager is banned in Germany (I recall some pics though).

There is actually a Nazi version of Doom1. Produced by some white power group it is a clear example that ideologies indeed make people stupid since its the worst Doom Mod I've ever seen in my life.
    Guns don't kill people,
    Chuck Norris kills people!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Humanoid
    I swear there was a game released in the early 90's called Km manager or something that was based around running a nazi death camp. anyone else know anything?
    The game is called KZ-Manager and was programed for the C64, but it was not released. There are other games like that, but they are all Nazi propaganda! By the way they are all forbidden here in Germany as we have some very restrictive laws when it comes to Nazi symbols, denying the Holocaust, etc. Most of the Nazi-propaganda which circulates in Germany today comes from libaral countries like the USA. An organisation like the NSDAP which is also forbidden in Germany enjoys the freedom of speach in the USA. Most of the Nazi music on the German market comes from Denmark and Sweden. The easiest way to get "Mein Kampf" is to import it from the UK....

I don't mind shooting Nazis in games and I think every self respecting German should do it! They are not my own and remember that your country paid a high price to liberate Europe from Nazi ocupation. Why shouldn't I play a GI shooting at Nazis?