Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Ripping Help - Super Mario's Wacky Worlds

  1. #1
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    2,802
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Ripping Help - Super Mario's Wacky Worlds

    Since I just brought this up in the Propellar Arena thread, and I don't want to bog it down, I'll just start a new thread. I need help ripping a CD-i proto, or at least copying it. The game is, of course, Super Mario's Wacky Worlds, an unreleased sequel of sorts to Super Mario World. I don't expect anyone here would be TOO educated on the subject, but here goes:

    Everything on the CD can be read, using the proper software, EXCEPT for sector 0. If sector 0 is replaed with empty data, it creates a bad image. No program I've used has been able to read that sector at all. I can copy each file individually, but it seems that without a proper sector 0 header, the game won't work.

    Someone suggested to me that I simply replace that sector with the 0 sector from another CD-i game, but I'm not so sure that will work. Another suggestion was to try using a professional CD copying tower. Theoretically that could work, but I'd HIGHLY prefer that there be a downloadable image. I'd like everyone who would enjoy this game to be able to play it.

    One final suggestion is to tell the story to the geeks at Slashdot and see if they can help. They might be able to come up with something, but I'd kind of prefer not to go that far just yet.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Lisle, IL USA
    Posts
    398
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Best and most reliable software I have used so far is Clone CD. Not sure if it will work for what your doing but it can make CD image files and do direct disc to disc copying. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    2,802
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Nope. Rips an image without any complaints, but then says the image is bad when you go to burn it.

  4. #4
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    596
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Are you sure your drive is upto the task? it may sound like a daft question but many copy-protection methods are untouchable unless your actual hardware is capable of reading and bypassing them, regardless of the software you use.

    Some of these methods were abandoned because certain drives just didn't like them or they weren't feasible for widespread use. However in the case of discs such as protos, such problems wouldn't have been of concern because the only drives to be reading the discs were likely of similar or the same design.

  5. #5
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    2,802
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I've considered that, but haven't taken action yet. I have a couple people who have drives circa 1993, I think one is even a Phillips model.

  6. #6
    Kirby (Level 13) Buyatari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    5,331
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

    Default

    I am moving this to the emulation forum. While it is Prototype related I think you will get a better response from over there.

    Adam

  7. #7
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Heheh. =)

    By the way Frank thanks for slinging shit in my face
    when I wasn't looking. I saw what you said in the Prop
    Arena topic! Remember... I have a lot of friends here.

    Hey I bought and XBOX like 6 months ago, I'm going
    to take one out of Toys R Us because afterall since I
    bought it once I can always take another when I feel
    like it right? Certainly not theft eh? But my XBOX was
    a special unreleased one.. Maybe I shold call Bill Gates an
    asshole because he refused to make me 5 more for
    free right?

    And you say I'm selling copies of this? What kind of little
    shit do you think you are? You have a lot of nerve to open
    your mouth and like like that without any proof.

    Frank, you have lost my respect.
    You're just another ROM & ISO pirate and
    always will be.

    Enjoy the proto kid because NOBODY
    will be able to copy it for you. NOBODY!

  8. #8
    Great Puma (Level 12) YoshiM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,145
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923

    Default

    Only thing I can think of is to check the newsgroups. I'm sure somebody there must have figured out how to get protos to work.

  9. #9
    Kirby (Level 13) zektor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Classic Jersey
    Posts
    5,394
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Did you try WinISO or Alcohol 120%? Two great imaging programs...just might work.

    Alcohol 120%:

    http://www.alcohol-soft.com

    WinISO:

    http://www.winiso.com


    I have been ripping/copying for a long time, and have an array of backup programs. Others you can try:

    Disc Juggler 4
    CDRWin
    Ahead Nero

    You may be able to extract it with CDRWin, but I would try WinISO first. I used it recently to extract a data track on a certain game that no other program would allow. Worked great.

  10. #10
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Ballz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    internet
    Posts
    39
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RW^OlderGames
    And you say I'm selling copies of this? What kind of little
    shit do you think you are? You have a lot of nerve to open
    your mouth and like like that without any proof.
    It's not really my business so I'll only be brief, but I think you misread the other thread. He said you were offering to trade (not sell) to other people, although, according to Frank, you claimed not to have any copies other than what you sold to him. And he posted a link where, indeed, that's what it sounded like you were doing; offering to trade a second copy of the game.

    You shouldn't jump the gun with such harsh words and accusations. ^_^;; We're all a big happy classic gaming community around here, right?

    Right?!

  11. #11
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    2,802
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default This isn't even TheRedEye

    TheRedEye is in california on vacation right now. Speaking for him will be PopaSmear:

    Right, regardless of any kind of over-reaction or anything like that, what the hell is all that shit about calling red a fucking pirate? If you were thinking instead of spewing vitriol you'd realize that couldn't be more off base. I mean, ass-shit-bastard-blowjob man, we have one guy who desperately wants to GIVE AWAY A VIDEOGAME. A guy who spends thousands of dollars each year, never making a profit, occasionally breaking even, all so that he can get things released, documented and played. There are words that describe that, words like Historian, or Philanthropist. Pirate though? No, pirate describes a fucking asshole who is willing to go around selling a fucking CD-R that he can make copies of for fucking 50 cents a peice for thousands of dollars. Some preservationist you are. One of the only things you have that anyone will ever care about and you're not willing to help the one person who wants to make it available. Pirates lie and steal for profit. Only one of you have done that.

    Again, keep in mind that this is NOT Frank. He's out of town, and he'd probably wouldn't have said "fucking" nearly as many times.

  12. #12
    Kirby (Level 13) zektor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Classic Jersey
    Posts
    5,394
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    OK NOW. This thread is turning into something it shouldn't. If it is to continue, take it over to the Battlezone, ok?

  13. #13
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Re: This isn't even TheRedEye

    Right, regardless of any kind of over-reaction or anything like that, what the hell is all that shit about calling red a fucking pirate?.
    I'm sorry, I must have missed the news release where he announced
    sucessfully licensing rights to release Nintendo roms on his site. Tell
    him I said congradulations! It's big big deal for one to legally gain permission to distribute things like StarFox 2, because afterall - Distributing something without licensed claim to it, or copyright ownership of it is.. afterall... uh.. PIRACY.

    we have one guy who desperately wants to GIVE AWAY A VIDEOGAME. A guy who spends thousands of dollars each year, never making a profit, occasionally breaking even,
    Make that 2. We still have yet to break even in fact
    so you can just throw your assumptions out the door.

    all so that he can get things released, documented and played.
    Ditto. But we license our releases!
    That way in a few years when Franks getting reemed in the
    anus by Nintendo lawyers we will still be here and in full legal
    control of our company and games.

    There are words that describe that, words like Historian, or Philanthropist. Pirate though?
    Actually yes. A pirate in todays definition would be Frank Cifaldi.
    Regardless of his intentions which I think are very honorable and
    should be respected he is still a fucking pirate.

    No, pirate describes a fucking asshole who is willing to go around selling a fucking CD-R that he can make copies of for fucking 50 cents a peice for thousands of dollars. Some preservationist you are.
    Ok now I'm pissed! Show me some evidence you moron!
    The only "copy" of Mario I've offered to sell before is my other
    official copy you maggot.

    This is exactly why Frank can go kiss my ass.
    He has penis envy because sadly he doesn't have half
    the brains I do to make a copy to dump on his little website
    and when he pestered me to do it for him I told him to go away
    and if he really wanted it that badly to give me stuff.

    Now the poor little broken hearted manchild is just talking
    crap because he has nobody to help him, and is fucked.

    Poor Frank. HAH!

  14. #14
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    240
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    @RW: You do realize your childish posts here are doing nothing but reinforce the suggestion that you're the one who is unreasonable, don't you? I can't possibly imagine anyone with any point of view on this matter reading them and coming away with anything but a negative impression of you. You seriously need to take a pill or something because you're making yourself and your company look bad to everyone who reads these forums.

    By the way, those are some nice XBOX and PS2 mod chip banner ads on your site. A "fucking pirate" in "today's definition" also includes having, selling, or aiding in the acquirement of such devices, regardless of the intention in what they would be used for. So I guess that makes 2 of you.

  15. #15
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Jersey USA
    Posts
    7,498
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

    Default Re:

    Quote Originally Posted by RW^OlderGames
    Enjoy the proto kid because NOBODY
    will be able to copy it for you. NOBODY!
    Hey RW,

    You copied it, didn't you?

    If you did, then you figured it out how to do it. What says no one else will?

    dave

  16. #16
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Li Wang
    @RW: You do realize your childish posts here are doing nothing but reinforce the suggestion that you're the one who is unreasonable, don't you? I can't possibly imagine anyone with any point of view on this matter reading them and coming away with anything but a negative impression of you. You seriously need to take a pill or something because you're making yourself and your company look bad to everyone who reads these forums.

    By the way, those are some nice XBOX and PS2 mod chip banner ads on your site. A "fucking pirate" in "today's definition" also includes having, selling, or aiding in the acquirement of such devices, regardless of the intention in what they would be used for. So I guess that makes 2 of you.

    All I have to say on this matter is that Frank has no merit in coming
    to these forums and knocking me for refusing to copy SMWW for
    him. We went through this all before (about 3 months ago) and even
    though I don't know who YOU are you don't even know whats going
    on. My stance is I refuse to copy this and that's not changing.

    If you feel that defending myself by calling him on his lies I'm
    somehow affecting how people feel about OlderGames you
    are definately the one who is being childish.

    Slandering me publicly doesn't make me look immature, in fact it's
    quite the opposite. That is all I really have to say about this - good
    luck to him I always said that and I hope he succeeds but he needs
    to learn to keep himself under control because my company's stance
    on SMWW isn't a cause for his blatant knocking of our efforts.

    And if you think I should just sit here and take his shit then obviously
    your a passivist and don't know what it means to stand up for yourself Li Wang.

    I'm to busy for this bullshit. You know where I stand and thats that.

  17. #17
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    2,802
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Wow. I'm not even sure how to reply to this.

    First of all, yes. That post above was my friend Ian, not me. I gave him my account info to check out a private thread, because I didn't want to force him to sign up for an account he'd never use just to read something I found interesting, and so after being tipped off about this thread he just used my account to reply. Sorry about any confusion. Now then:

    Quote Originally Posted by RW^OlderGames
    Hey I bought and XBOX like 6 months ago, I'm going to take one out of Toys R Us because afterall since I bought it once I can always take another when I feel like it right? Certainly not theft eh? But my XBOX was a special unreleased one.. Maybe I shold call Bill Gates an asshole because he refused to make me 5 more for free right?
    I assume this is an argument against why you shouldn't be obliged to copy, or even assist in me copying, Super Mario's Wacky Worlds. And frankly, I agree. I think it's a tad ridiculous, but I don't hold any blame or ill-will toward you because of it. Not only was this clarified in a private email, it was also clarified in the Propellar Arena thread you seem to be replying to. In the future, I suggest reading a statement before replying to it. Let's move on.

    Quote Originally Posted by RW^OlderGames
    And you say I'm selling copies of this? What kind of little
    shit do you think you are? You have a lot of nerve to open
    your mouth and like like that without any proof.
    Again, R.W., I really do suggest investing in enough time to actually read written words before you form a rebuttal. I don't recall once claiming that you are selling copies of Super Mario's Wacky Worlds.

    As for calling me a "little shit"...please, R.W. You're a respectable business man. You're better than that.

    I have no proof of you selling copies of the game. I don't need proof because, frankly, I don't believe you are. I do, however, have proof that not only did you lie about having another copy of the game, but that you're also able and willing to trade it. Again, these were posted in the thread that I assume you're replying to, but for the sake of clarity and because of my newfound assumption that you didn't actually read that thread, I suppose I'm forced to display them again:

    This post clearly shows "your little secret" of having a second copy. Granted, I don't really care. If my intentions are to distribute the game for free, I'd be a fool to object to you having a copy. However, when combined with this thread, and also combined with the fact that you are 100% unwilling in any way to help me copy this game, I'm forced to assume that you're trading Super Mario's Wacky Worlds behind my back.

    So now that we're past the false accusations, childish name-calling, and misinformation due to a lack of reading comprehension, it's finally time for the real meat of your rebuttal:

    Quote Originally Posted by RW^OlderGames
    Frank, you have lost my respect.
    You're just another ROM & ISO pirate and
    always will be.
    ...at least, I'm assuming this is your argument. I have argued, with substantial proof, that you have a history of lying and of trading games behind my back, and I have posted the facts and allowed the users of this forum to draw their own conclusions. Your reply to all of this is that I'm a "little shit" and that I pirate software.

    ...what is your point, R.W.?

    Quote Originally Posted by RW^OlderGames
    Enjoy the proto kid because NOBODY
    will be able to copy it for you. NOBODY!
    ...moving on.

    Quote Originally Posted by RW^OlderGames
    I'm sorry, I must have missed the news release where he announced
    sucessfully licensing rights to release Nintendo roms on his site. Tell
    him I said congradulations! It's big big deal for one to legally gain permission to distribute things like StarFox 2, because afterall - Distributing something without licensed claim to it, or copyright ownership of it is.. afterall... uh.. PIRACY.
    And indeed, by that logic, I'd like to see the licensing agreement that you've acquired to sell Propellar Arena on eBay (not to mention Super Mario's Wacky Worlds to me). That's not only "...uh...PIRACY," that's also profiting off of piracy, something I have never done and am completely morally opposed to doing. Not only do you not have any intellectual rights to be selling either of those games, you also have no rights to OWN those games. They are stolen company property. I fail to see how you are not a pirate as well.

    From there you've gone on to explain exactly why it is that you'd consider me a software pirate, every example of which could easily be turned back to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by RW^OlderGames
    This is exactly why Frank can go kiss my ass.
    He has penis envy because sadly he doesn't have half
    the brains I do to make a copy to dump on his little website
    and when he pestered me to do it for him I told him to go away
    and if he really wanted it that badly to give me stuff.

    Now the poor little broken hearted manchild is just talking
    crap because he has nobody to help him, and is fucked.

    Poor Frank. HAH!
    ...again, we'll just move on. I would, however, like to know exactly how it is that I'm "fucked," if you wouldn't mind explaining.

    Your third thread came while I was in the middle of writing the one you're reading now.

    Quote Originally Posted by RW^OlderGames
    All I have to say on this matter is that Frank has no merit in coming
    to these forums and knocking me for refusing to copy SMWW for
    him. We went through this all before (about 3 months ago) and even
    though I don't know who YOU are you don't even know whats going
    on. My stance is I refuse to copy this and that's not changing.
    Again, I hold no ill-will towards you not wanting to help copy the game. I, again, think it's absolutely ridiculous to assume that I'd sell bootleg copies of your releases, but I understand that you're trying to maintain the integrity of your company.

    I do, however, suggest that in the future, you avoid referring to customers who have complaints against you as being "little shits" with "penis envy" who "can kiss your ass." Is this an official company reply to my consumer complaint?

    Quote Originally Posted by RW^OlderGames
    If you feel that defending myself by calling him on his lies I'm
    somehow affecting how people feel about OlderGames you
    are definately the one who is being childish.
    When, exactly, did I lie? And what lies are you calling me on?

    As for the rest of your third thread, I really have nothing to say. I've said nothing to make you look immature. If anyone were to draw that conclusion, it would be from your replies in this thread.

    Also, the word is "pacifist," not "passivist."

    I'm sorry that you've lost respect for me over this matter, R.W., though I frankly can't see how I'm in the wrong.

    Now then. If I may, I'd like to get back to the point of this thread.

    Zektor: thanks for the two suggestions. I haven't tried them out yet, but I will soon and let you know how it goes. I've been away for a few days, so I didn't have the chance to see your reply.

    Also, I'm sorry this thread turned out the way it did. As you can see, I didn't intend for that to happen, and I haven't been around to stop it. R.W., if you want to call me any other silly names, I think zektor and I would appreciate if you did it elsewhere.

  18. #18
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    240
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RW^OlderGames
    All I have to say on this matter is that Frank has no merit in coming
    to these forums and knocking me for refusing to copy SMWW for
    him. We went through this all before (about 3 months ago) and even
    though I don't know who YOU are you don't even know whats going
    on.
    I assure you I do indeed know what's going on and have been following this whole situation from the beginning. Anyway, I'm not going to bother explaining how laughable your claims of "slander" and other such nonsense are since Frank already owned you.

  19. #19
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    79
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Kinda off the subject, but was that "NOBODY will help you! NOBODY!" thing supposed to be followed by maniacal laughter and lightning striking? I got that impression right away. But maybe it's just me.

    Oh, and hiya, peoples. I play games. What up.

  20. #20
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,272
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    <And indeed, by that logic, I'd like to see the licensing agreement that you've acquired to sell Propellar Arena on eBay (not to mention Super Mario's Wacky Worlds to me). That's not only "...uh...PIRACY," that's also profiting off of piracy, something I have never done and am completely morally opposed to doing. Not only do you not have any intellectual rights to be selling either of those games, you also have no rights to OWN those games. They are stolen company property. I fail to see how you are not a pirate as well.>

    I have to agree with this. Although I respect what Oldergames is trying to do with their releases, by going on Ebay and selling stolen property which belongs to companies which are still in business, they are clearly in violation of the law. I am also skeptical of their "licensing agreements". While I am certain that they have contacted and received permission from many of the programmers on the Sega CD and CDi whose software they are selling, they have not always gone all the way and gotten permission from the current right holders. For example, Citizen X was part of the intellectual property of Digital Pictures when it went under. Sega also still had rights to the title since it was a piece of software they commissioned and paid DP to develop. I know for a fact Sega was never approached on this issue and in speaking to the current right holders to the DP intellectual property, neither were they. So, I'm not really sure what was done to "license" this title, but I would love to hear about it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 07:54 PM
  2. Super Mario`s Wacky Worlds
    By Playcosm in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-19-2008, 04:06 PM
  3. Super Mario's Wacky Worlds CDI prototype...
    By Ballz in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 07:23 AM
  4. Super Mario's Wacky Worlds PC VERSION? On eBay?
    By Zach in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2006, 01:10 AM
  5. Super Mario's Wacky Worlds Article
    By Devin in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 02:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •