Thread: Possible 2nd Gaming world crash?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Possible 2nd Gaming world crash?

I am sound like nostradamus talking like that but I need to know what everyone thinks. Why do I think there is a crash coming? When I look out at what the gaming masses have to play, I feel like it is just the same old thing with better graphics.

I have played more FPS games on my PC then most people. I got Halo 1 and I was completely disappointed. The game was not much fun and there was no real reason to play it again after I had beaten it. The story was not much to say, Troops fight aliens, A lone solder saves the day. Seen it all before. The recycled story items were not what made the game atrocious for me but the Library was. The flood just kept coming and going up that damn elevator... I think I remember doing something like that in a better game. I think it was called "Smash T.V."

The problem I see is this; Most games are just recycled ideas with a different look. Halo 1 was just using all the old clichés of Science Fiction. Advent Rising was accused of ripping off Sci-Fi novels and movies, well seeing that Halo did the same thing why not? Halo is the MOST popular game for the X-box despite the fact that it uses the same engine style for Medal of Honor games and uses Sci-Fi clichés.

What games are ones that are new then? Postal 2 was quite an FPS. The overall style of the game went FAR beyond another game. Conker's bad fur day, GTA and those adult games from Japan are no where NEAR what Postal 2 had in terms of inappropriate actions and activities. The game's story line was not exactly that well written. On Monday you have to get your pay check, cash the pay check and get some milk. Sounds boring? Considering that protestors assault the main character’s office and will kill him on sight, it is not so simple anymore.

Why am I yammering on about game play? If the same old ideas are recycled but given a different look someone someday will catch on and then the great question will be asked, "why do I want to play this?" It's just like the one I got at home when all there is a new look?

Now, just how do I propose the gaming industry fixes itself? Easy, when I read the E3 reports about the new consoles, I heard the usual, "More power, better graphics" line from Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo, however, said, "We do not want to focus on power and graphics like our competition but we want to focus on game play. Retro games from most of Nintendo's consoles will reappear on the "Revolution” That means that Good and Bad games (as there were both) will be able to be discovered by a new generation and the older generations will get to enjoy the classics again.

How does this stop the crash? Nintendo is not following Sony and Microsoft like a lemming to the proverbial cliff of the 2nd crash. They are thinking for the future. Games can only look so great then you need to go and look at other elements, such as story and game play. A game is only as good as its story I believe. Maybe I am wrong, but if I am wrong I want to stay that way, some day I may become right.
    "Posting to the 'net these days it's more like shouting into a deep cave
    in which lives a fire-breathing dragon who hordes Hormel products.
    You get an echo back with flames and Spam"

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This has been discussed many a time before. Here's a thread where we can continue this line of thought:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30767

Also, this was in Off-Topic, despite being very much on-topic, so...moved and/or locked. But feel free to carry it over to the above thread!