Thread: Funny article: female characters in video games history

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Funny article: female characters in video games history

Funny Article on Women's roles in Video games, the first few paragraphs are just junk but then it goes into a whole Sean Baby type list of women in video games history and stuff and includes lots of pictures but you might find it easy to skip past some of the introduction talk first:

more... http://venusormars.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Interesting article. Lots of time and effort put into making it. It's a nice read. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not a bad article.

I'm glad someone else noticed the nauseating portrayal of women on G4tv. As if Video Game Vixens weren't one of the worst shows ever created, and it is, I'm sick of seeing dumbass women like Diane Mizota and Kristin Holt who have about enough expertise to host a video game show as I do of hosting a show on quantum physics. Which is about none. Instead, I watch idiot women like this try (and fail) to look smart as they read of their cue cards, spout cheeseball quips that I guess is supposed to pass as wit, and all in all show no evidence that they've ever picked up a joystick in their entire lives, all the while wearing sexy outfits of course.

Although in regards to the article, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that DoA is aimed at guys, and that Barbie isn't a stellar video game heroine.

I've said this before, but the single worst video game of all time is Barbie Fashion Pack for the Gameboy. If the ladies out there want to feel like complete idiots, give that game a whirl.

The article gets bonus points for remembering Taloon from DQ4. If there ever was an "every-man" in a video game, he was it.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Girls in a huge proportion of games are eye candy, it's clear to see. But as long as there's a market [I'm thinking preteen/teen boyos], there's going to be a lot of sleezy supply.

So, I guess, that's how the world works. All that feminism for nothing? Nah.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I'm liking 1up.com more and more. They consistently have stuff that's either interesting or fun to read concerning video games. Haven't checked their reviews to see if they're that good, but I'm definitely going to be doing that soon.

One issue that they didn't exactly bring up was the lack of multiplayer cooperative games in the whole industry. Men seem to want to blow one another up; seems to me that women would rather work together to accomplish the goals in a game. Things like *The Adventures of Cookie and Cream* seem to do well with a female audience.

Until gaming becomes a bit more of a social activity, I'm not sure it's really going to hit it big with those of the female persuasion.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was a really well made article i have to say i did enjoy reading it other than the first little part.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

What about The Sims Online? I'm sure a large number of them have to be females. And I have a good female friend who plays both Everquest and WOW. She estimates her clan has around 20 percent female players.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion