View Poll Results: Where do the majority of your games come from?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • eBay

32 41.56%
  • Car boot sales / flea markets

17 22.08%
  • Online retro shops

3 3.90%
  • Charity shops

8 10.39%
  • Retro shops (GameStation etc)

15 19.48%
  • Trading

2 2.60%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do the majority of YOUR games come from?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Where do the majority of YOUR games come from?

Please select your preference from the above poll and state why you prefer that means of obtaining your retro goodies!

For me, I've become something of an eBay fanatic since I realised I am as much a collector as I am a gamer. I suppose I prefer eBay because it is nonconfrontational. At a car boot sale, I often feel somewhat uneasy perusing the various items of interest. I dislike the thought that someone might think I would steal something because I'm hovering about. I also feel uneasy asking if I can examine a game's condition. All this is quite strange when you consider I am actually an extremely confident person otherwise!

On eBay, my thrill comes from finding mint/rare games at absurdly low prices that no one has paid any attention to! I feel rather underhand - which makes me feel rather good I also like the challenge of getting my money's worth out of the seller by buying multiple items. It can all be quite time consuming but it is also very satisfying.

Don't get me wrong - I do very much enjoy the car boot sales I attend on Sundays (of which I have now gone to three). I enjoy the uncertainty of it all (I don't even know if it is on until I get there!). But as eager as I am to go, I am as eager to leave. Make of that what you will.

What are your thoughts, then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have a guess where my goodies come from :P

I love car boots, and especially the uncertainity of it as you say.
    Wonderin what will turn up/surface is part of the game which i love.

For example, finally gettin hold of Secret Of Mana at the weekend for 50p. I refused to buy it at the price it goes for, for years now, as i knew one day it would appear, which it did.
    If i broke down and went to eBay for it, i probably would have paid about £20
    So lets see:
    50p or £20, £20 is 4000% more to pay than the price i originally paid!
    I <3 Car boots!

What i dislike about eBay is shipping, sure you win an item for 99p (or whatever) then you gotta pay for the item to get delivered (and ive found its usually over charged)
    With car boots, no shipping is neccesary... Just a ride home!
    Imagine the cost of shipping on some of my hauls if they were eBay winnings!

Another (personal) issue with Ebay is you dont have the option to bargain with the seller, if eBay was a real life car boot, you would have hundreds of people around 1 sellers item and not have a single chance of gettin it cheap...
    Car boots win again, the power of bargaining is awesome!

However eBay does win on one issue, the condition of an item... With eBay you can be absolutely sure on what you are buying due to the explanation/descriptions...
    Just avoid the poor quality stuff and browse what you like...
    Car boots however, you cant guarantee you will find anything sealed or mint.. (luckly for me, a game is a game so i dont mind poor condition games/consoles as at the end of the day theyre all the same to me)

At the end of the day, i guess im a cheapskate really, id rather get loads of cheap 50p games not in the best condition instead of paying £40+ for a brand new game

Adam

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

There's a place around here called Allied Record Exchange. Sorta like a pawn shop, but only with games, movies, and music. I'd go as far to say that half of my collection ended up coming from there, including some real rarities when they first opened and didn't know what this stuff was worth (like a complete Spiderman for the 32X for $5 )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

These days I'm probably about 50/50 eBay/in the wild.
    You might want to edit the options slightly - the term "Charity Shops" may confuse our Thrift-Store-hunting cousins across the pond

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where I get my games isn't on the list. I get most of my stuff from Jed. I buy at least one thing a week from him, if not a lot more than that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Patrol
    Where I get my games isn't on the list. I get most of my stuff from Jed. I buy at least one thing a week from him, if not a lot more than that.
    I put trades in the poll. That'll probably cover Jed

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a local shop which is very cash-in-hand. He sells games off book shelves and doesn't have a till. His games usually aren't very good but it's somewhere to go to collect games.

Next is Gamestation in town. I don't go there too often because their prices seem quite high and I have to pay for the car park to go there.

I've bought a few things on ebay but it seems a little expensive. After looking around shops for a snes for a while I finally had to buy one on ebay. I got a Starwing boxed one with 6 loose games (starwing, mario world, mario allstars, adventure island, donkey kong country, dragon's lair) for £30, which was probably a bit high. I make myself feel better by saying the games are probably worth £5 each.

I went to my first car boot sale ever on Sunday. All I found was a box of 9 megadrive games and a megadrive for £10. He wouldn't go down on the price and I caved in. It turned out the megadrive didn't work and I had some of the games. Not to worry though. I got £5 for 3 of the games, so I got 6 games for £5 which isn't bad by my standards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm also addicted to eBay, in part due to lack of other sources in my surroundings. When I lived in the US, I would sometimes visit game stores and such, but around here there are hardly any flea markets, game stores, thrifts, etc. There are no carboots, which I find unfortunate, and the thrifts that do exist are mainly for furniture so I simply ignore them. Many people in this part of Europe, from my experience, are very cheap, and ask high prices for games and other gaming items. At the first and last flea market I went to, each and every NES SMB/World Cup/Tetris compilation cart (Europe's SMB/Duck Hunt) was priced at roughly 10 dollars or more. None of the sellers were willing to bargain, either.

The majority of my collection has come from eBay - whenever I am into spending money on my collection, the first thing I look at is always eBay. This can be quite time consuming, especially here in Europe where various countries have their own eBay site, but I really enjoy searching for and finding rare goods for reasonable prices. I collect to document rather than to play, so I tend to seek out rather unusual or rare video game items, which pop up on eBay more often than I were to find them in the wild (especially with the lack of sources, in my case).

-Speedy
    I'm always looking for new boxed NES accessories. If you've got any for sale, shoot me a PM!

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Owning an online business consisting of largely ebay, this one is pretty easy for me to answer.

Also doesn't help that there are only 2 flea markets, and NO PAWN SHOPS/Goodwill/salvation army within 30-45 miles of where I live.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of the choices given, I would say Ebay but there are many places I get games from that aren't in the poll. For instance, I just ordered a couple games from Amazon.com, specifically their Marketplace program. You also don't even give us a choice of going to department stores like Wal-Mart and K-Mart or even electronics stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. With all that said, I probably don't even buy a majority of my games from one place...I go all over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say about 50% of my collection is from local collectors selling out their stuff. Hmm... that isn't listed.
    Other than that, I get alot of stuff through people here on DP and random thrift/used video game stores

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    I'd say about 50% of my collection is from local collectors selling out their stuff. Hmm... that isn't listed.
    OKay! I get the message! My poll options stink! If I could edit it (and I can't), I would. We'll just have to muddle by.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Where do the majority of YOUR games come from?

eBay. Poll needs an "import from overseas option," but how many people can do that anymore? eBay is a much better option for a lot of the rare/expensive games out there.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say 90% of my used stuff comes from local game stores. I've found lots of good games from them for resonable prices.

I look at Ebay sometimes to see if there's a deal to be had but I've only resorted to Ebay for 3 things:

Ren & Stimpy Fire Dogs

Madden Championship Edition

SMS 3d Goggles
    We saved some guy's life. Killed some vicious murdering lichs and blew up something big. I'd call that a pretty good night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also picked ebay because it's really the only place around here I can get 16-bit and below games that aren't sonic or mario related, so when I get a "classic" game it's usally from there.

But lately I haven't been buying much classic, I've been getting a lot of current gen/last gen stuff, and that usually comes from EB or Gamestop, cause ebay shipping is rediculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The majority of my stuff is from Cash Converters and more recently, Good Samaritan Stores.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Summer Soldier

Game stores for me. The EBGames nearby me has quite the NES selection and they get the occasional PSX Longbox or boxed snes/genesis game. It is nearby me and a couple of the employees are likable. The manager, although not the most friendly, is pretty knowledgable. Overall, I end up buying stuff there more then anywhere else.
    In a land beyond sight...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is this place around here called Gamers, well three of them actually, where I get almost all of my classic games from. They are expensive (although not always), so I pretty much only shop there during sales.

Online is next.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of my retro stuff nowadays comes from Garage sales (or car Boot sales to you guys in the UK) but back when Funcoland used to sell NES/SNES/GEN stuff, I got everything from there. I'd say at least 60% of my retro stuff was bought there.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mainly get my stuff from shops. (GameStop, Electronics Boutique, GameCrazy)