Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft and Nintendo VS. Sony?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo and it didnt happend. So I doubt anyone will join "forces".
    No they didn't, that was a completely fake article. As prideful as the Japanese are, the CEO of a company would likely never tell another company to "Suck my tiny yellow balls."
    Both of you have things mixed up. Bill Gates DID say that he'd be interested if Nintendo was for sale. The "suck my tiny yellow balls" article was true, sure, but that's not where the rumor started.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've speculated about companies teaming up for a long time, but realistically I believe Sony has already made fatal errors with the upcoming gen that will not be readily apparent to the general public until next year.

I don't think that they though out the PS3. They are so damn arrogant they just assume it will crush the competition, just like their braindead fans assume.

they have good studios with good games
    Yep. And I'm the Queen of England.

After 2 complete generations dominated by Sony I just have this feeling that SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE somewhere in the industry in this upcoming generation something has to change with the current 3 console manufacturers and I believe that something WILL something SIGNIFICANT something MAJOR the question is what?
    I'm about 90% sure that Sony will take a big hit this time.

I dunno wat the prob is with nintendo fanboys.
    They have taste. If that's a problem then so be it.

They also were by and large awake when brains were handed out.

But I can't be certain because I am actually a Sega fanboy.

The DC always did and always will have much better games.
    It died becuase people were dumb enough to think the PS2 would be better.

I bought a PS2, but it was an afterthought. It's the people crazy enough to choose it over the DC even to this day who are fools.

Sony intentionally misled consumers before the war in.... erm the PS2 launch. The effect on sales of the DC was insurmountable. IMO, about half of true gaming died that day.

MS isn't messing things up at the moment IMO, but if the N were to fall someday they would be at least as big a hoser as Sony.

However with MS and Nintendo there could be a kind of unintentional defacto "cooperation".

1. MS provides early pressure on PS3 in the US. IN the meantime, DS sales continue to outpace PSP sales in Japan. Zelda helps boost N's flagging reputation.
    2. Sony's mistakes begin to have their effect, PS3 sales are poor to mediocre initially in the US be, fairly brisk initially in Japan, but not one the level of previous launches. The thin software support for Sony systems aids MS in the US. The improving DS library and less psychotic price point cuts into PSP sales worldwide.
    3. Uncertainty about PS3 in the US market combined with engineering mistakes worse than PS2, a higher price point, and the lack of a solid giimmick this time around contribute to software support even weaker than the first year of PS2, which was pretty damn naff.

WIth a smaller installed base in the US less devs will be willing to put about with the goofy hardware. The growth in the US and decline in Japan of the game market will force some of the Japanese developers to pay at least some attention to this.

The effects of weak software support in the US will play out differently this time. The US public isn't ready for a new movie format this time, which could be used as a crutch in the case of weak software support otherwise.

This time not only is Sony making more mistakes, but the system released before it has a much stronger consumer base to draw from than Sega had, and the time gaps before and after Sony's launch are smaller. The mass market perception of XBOX is infinitely better than that of the Saturn. Brand strength had much more to do with the DC's failure than the time issue, and if people don't like what they see when PS3 arrives, MS will be there on the shelves to cash in.

4. With Sony weak in the US, JP devs will have to focus less intensely on PS3 worldwide as far as major releases go. WIth the weak software support perhaps even on the order of the N64, extremely high cost in a weaker JP game market, and the relatively insignificant difference between the size of Rev + standalone Blu-ray and PS3 (and I don't think that Blu-ray will be enough of a major force to make a large sales difference in JP until half a year after launch, a year later in the US at best), and minor factors like the PS3s shitty controller, will dampen sales slightly early on in Japan, and as the US market evolves and realities set in the JP market will be very receptive to the Rev. Because the Rev does well, the PS3 will become weaker yet and overtime the Rev will overtake it in Japan. The Rev will take enough market share to be second in the US without much difficulty, while M$ will have the mass market machine that has games which appeal to the lowest common denominator. The boost to Nintendo combined with Sony's problems should seal the fate of the PSP.

5. Inevitably:

M$ screws themselves over like Sony did.

Someone else will enter the console market and either become the new lowest common denominator or fail miserably. And if they fail Nintendo's dominance would return to a level unseen by any company since the early 8-bit era. Unless the timing is rather peculiar, most of the LowCD games would probably just end up on N anyway.

Just as it was after the last crash, after the next mass extinction (many developers will become insolvent because of their platform biases in favor of dead console manufacturers),
    Nintendo will be the alpha and omega of video games.

Time flows like a river....... And history repeats........

We've seen arrogant people who didn't understand much about gaming do this before.

Sony has more than one Stolar-Tramielish fop in their ranks I'm afraid.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've speculated about companies teaming up for a long time, but realistically I believe Sony has already made fatal errors with the upcoming gen that will not be readily apparent to the general public until next year.

I don't think that they though out the PS3. They are so damn arrogant they just assume it will crush the competition, just like their braindead fans assume.

The top 2 devs in JP last year by sales volume were game freak and Nintendo. THink about that before you consider Nintendo to be 100% in last place.

After 2 complete generations dominated by Sony I just have this feeling that SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE somewhere in the industry in this upcoming generation something has to change with the current 3 console manufacturers and I believe that something WILL something SIGNIFICANT something MAJOR the question is what?
    I'm about 90% sure that Sony will take a big hit this time.

I dunno wat the prob is with nintendo fanboys.
    They have taste. If that's a problem then so be it.

They also were by and large awake when brains were handed out.

But I can't be certain because I am actually a Sega fanboy.

The DC always did and always will have much better games.
    It died becuase people were dumb enough to think the PS2 would be better.

I bought a PS2, but it was an afterthought. It's the people crazy enough to choose it over the DC even to this day who are fools.

Sony intentionally misled consumers before the war in.... erm the PS2 launch. The effect on sales of the DC was insurmountable. IMO, about half of true gaming died that day.

MS isn't messing things up at the moment IMO, but if the N were to fall someday they would be at least as big a hoser as Sony.

However with MS and Nintendo there could be a kind of unintentional defacto "cooperation".

1. MS provides early pressure on PS3 in the US. IN the meantime, DS sales continue to outpace PSP sales in Japan. Zelda helps boost N's flagging reputation.
    2. Sony's mistakes begin to have their effect, PS3 sales are poor to mediocre initially in the US be, fairly brisk initially in Japan, but not one the level of previous launches. The thin software support for Sony systems aids MS in the US. The improving DS library and less psychotic price point cuts into PSP sales worldwide.
    3. Uncertainty about PS3 in the US market combined with engineering mistakes worse than PS2, a higher price point, and the lack of a solid giimmick this time around contribute to software support even weaker than the first year of PS2, which was pretty damn naff.

WIth a smaller installed base in the US less devs will be willing to put about with the goofy hardware. The growth in the US and decline in Japan of the game market will force some of the Japanese developers to pay at least some attention to this.

The effects of weak software support in the US will play out differently this time. The US public isn't ready for a new movie format this time, which could be used as a crutch in the case of weak software support otherwise.

This time not only is Sony making more mistakes, but the system released before it has a much stronger consumer base to draw from than Sega had, and the time gaps before and after Sony's launch are smaller. The mass market perception of XBOX is infinitely better than that of the Saturn. Brand strength had much more to do with the DC's failure than the time issue, and if people don't like what they see when PS3 arrives, MS will be there on the shelves to cash in.

4. With Sony weak in the US, JP devs will have to focus less intensely on PS3 worldwide as far as major releases go. WIth the weak software support perhaps even on the order of the N64, extremely high cost in a weaker JP game market, and the relatively insignificant difference between the size of Rev + standalone Blu-ray and PS3 (and I don't think that Blu-ray will be enough of a major force to make a large sales difference in JP until half a year after launch, a year later in the US at best), and minor factors like the PS3s shitty controller, will dampen sales slightly early on in Japan, and as the US market evolves and realities set in the JP market will be very receptive to the Rev. Because the Rev does well, the PS3 will become weaker yet and overtime the Rev will overtake it in Japan. The Rev will take enough market share to be second in the US without much difficulty, while M$ will have the mass market machine that has games which appeal to the lowest common denominator. The boost to Nintendo combined with Sony's problems should seal the fate of the PSP.

5. Inevitably:

M$ screws themselves over like Sony did.

Someone else will enter the console market and either become the new lowest common denominator or fail miserably. And if they fail Nintendo's dominance would return to a level unseen by any company since the early 8-bit era. Unless the timing is rather peculiar, most of the LowCD games would probably just end up on N anyway.

Just as it was after the last crash, after the next mass extinction (many developers will become insolvent because of their platform biases in favor of dead console manufacturers),
    Nintendo will be the alpha and omega of video games.

Time flows like a river....... And history repeats........

We've seen arrogant people who didn't understand much about gaming do this before.

Sony has more than one Stolar-Tramielish fop in their ranks I'm afraid.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo and it didnt happend. So I doubt anyone will join "forces".
    No they didn't, that was a completely fake article. As prideful as the Japanese are, the CEO of a company would likely never tell another company to "Suck my tiny yellow balls."

Doubt it was a fake article. Seen it tons of places. But if it was buying was serious or just an idea I dont know. Anyway, it doesnt matter because it didnt happend
    Wow.

Following that logic, someone in Nigeria must really be waiting to deposit a bunch of money in my bank account because I've seen that email a bunch of places.
    What e-mail? And why would someone in Nigeria deposit money to you bank account for seeing a e-mail? Do you know someone from Nigeria that want to give you money? Cool
    But let me try to explain it to you, dunno if you understand tho. Might be too complicated for your brain. If so, let me know or ask someone else for further assistance, thanks.
    I just find it strange that so many sites would write about it if it was completely fake. Even big ones like CNN. Even if the buying wasnt very serious I think the idea might have been brought up. This is what I think, I didnt say it was like it.
    Please prove me wrong, that the article was fake. I havnt read that atleast.
    Now that wasnt so hard to understand was it? Or maybe it was for you..? If so, let me know.
    Do you believe everything you read on the Internet?

Sidenote: "Ill love Nintendo so hard it'll make your head spin." made me LER. Heh.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I do belive everything i read on the internet, who doesnt?

Stupid to compare spammail to articles written by many serious newspapers. Even if its not true, noone have given me proof that it was. Why not?

All I said was that I havnt read anywhere that its fake. Thats why I asked for proof on this. Even if its fake (most likely) its not unthinkable that m$ tried to buy Nintendo.
    Why do ppl take a dissing tone just because I belived it wasnt fake? I think thats strange.

Now back to Nintendo. I would let Nintendo do me in my butt if they asked. Really, if I saw a Pokemon running around my house I'd catch it and make little Nintnedo lovin' PokeBabies, then I'd call them Nintenkemon. Then Id make babies with the little Nintenkemon...and more babies made out of the babies I made from the Nintenkemon babies. You dont want none of this , man. Ill love Nintendo so hard it'll make your head spin.
    You too? Shit.. that happend to me about 3 weeks ago. Seriously! Did Nintendo use a condom when they fucked you? They forgot it on me. Now I got some nasty rash in my ass, also some green infected stuff around there. Did that happend to you too?
    Im too scared to go to the doctor. Please tell me what do do!
    I also had some Nintenkemon babies, about 4 I called all 4 cockémon. What did you call yours?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey to PS2 Hawk and the others Im not a fuckin Nintendo fanboy and I never said it was NOT ok for someone to play games on whatever system they want.

I simply asked a hypothetical question and got flamed yeah thanks guys I expected better from this board.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    Hey to PS2 Hawk and the others Im not a fuckin Nintendo fanboy and I never said it was NOT ok for someone to play games on whatever system they want.

I simply asked a hypothetical question and got flamed yeah thanks guys I expected better from this board.
    Agree, alot of strange behavior from some people at this forum. Just ignore them.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Stupid to compare spammail to articles written by many serious newspapers. Even if its not true, noone have given me proof that it was. Why not?

All I said was that I havnt read anywhere that its fake. Thats why I asked for proof on this. Even if its fake (most likely) its not unthinkable that m$ tried to buy Nintendo.
    Why do ppl take a dissing tone just because I belived it wasnt fake? I think thats strange.

Now back to Nintendo. I would let Nintendo do me in my butt if they asked. Really, if I saw a Pokemon running around my house I'd catch it and make little Nintnedo lovin' PokeBabies, then I'd call them Nintenkemon. Then Id make babies with the little Nintenkemon...and more babies made out of the babies I made from the Nintenkemon babies. You dont want none of this , man. Ill love Nintendo so hard it'll make your head spin.
    You too? Shit.. that happend to me about 3 weeks ago. Seriously! Did Nintendo use a condom when they fucked you? They forgot it on me. Now I got some nasty rash in my ass, also some green infected stuff around there. Did that happend to you too?
    I also had some Nintenkemon babies, about 4 I called all 4 cockémon. What did you call yours?
    You are my new favorite poster.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol, nice to hear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

umm......thats a no. Don't forget Microsoft is trying to do away w/ Nintendo, and sony. Nintendo is wants to do away w/ sony and Microsoft. and Sony likewise. Their will be no joining of the game buisness. And from my memory Nintendo dosn't make the graphics chip, that use IBM or another company to design the chip. So any rumors that people hear are just that, rumors.

I also must state im a nintendo fanboy, whats so wrong with that. I have all the systems, and i do enjoy my ps2, and xbox, and sega systems, but i still like my nintendo more, people act like once their called fanboys, they think people called them sum racial slur. Anyways im looking foward to the Rev, and it will kick ass. Because of the logic that a video games system's main support is video games. i don't know flame away if u want.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

microsoft and nintendo are, seriously, right across the street from one another. from nintendo, you can see microsoft. so, it would be real easy for them to join forces in that regard, if they wanted to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FurinkanianFrood

I think this is less arrogance than desperate haters looking for something - anything - that might portend a weakening of the "Evl Empire."

Sony has done just fine letting third party devs take up the hardware because, for whatever reason, people snapped up the PS2. It'd take a major event to weaken the PS3, and nothing of the sort has happened yet.

I'd like to be knighted. Ever hear of Ico? Colossus? Even their Cambridge studio has put out some good to great titles over the years (in the Medievil games). Definitely no worse off than Microsoft. Of course the important thing isn't if you own studios - they're a potential liability - but if good studios are working on your system. Definitely true of Sony.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

interestingly enough, Nintendo dominated exactly 2 console and 2 handheld generations, then fell. lets watch history repeat itself, but personally i couldnt give a crap less, i mean what do you all care who dominates the market? seriously? the market has always been dominated by a single party and the rest trying desperately to catch up. domination of one sparks creativity in others to overthrow said one. why bitch about Brand X selling better than Brand Y. just buy both and enjoy games for both. damn people.

this topic has turned into a bunch of fanboys throwing feces at each other... i think ill just walk away, especially since i just saw some sega mofo trying to claim the DC was/is/will always be better than the ps2...

*walking away slowly*

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by FurinkanianFrood
    realistically I believe Sony has already made fatal errors with the upcoming gen that will not be readily apparent to the general public until next year.
    It's nice to see a fanboy 'realistically state' that the public won't see any problems until they see the hardware. Most fanboys just trash it as soon as it's announced....
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Cockémon!!
    I almost shat myself! That makes me want to draw a cartoon.

"realistically I believe Sony has already made fatal errors with the upcoming gen that will not be readily apparent to the general public until next year."
    For instance?

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Microsoft developing for Nintendo DS

Job listings for internal studio Rare confirm the software giant is making games for its archrival's latest handheld.
    Last week, rumors began to surface that the Xbox 360 would let gamers download Micrsoft-developed games onto Nintendo's DS handheld. Given that Nintendo's handhelds are its main source of revenue, Microsoft creating new content for the DS would be giving ammunition to its archrival in the current- and next-generation console wars. Such a move struck many industry watchers as being highly unlikely, if not outright ludicrous.

However, it now appears that Microsoft may be crazy like a fox. This week, evidence surfaced confirming that the company is indeed developing games for the DS. It came in the form of two job listings on the official Web site for Rare Ltd., the Britain-based developer of Conker: Live and Reloaded for the Xbox and Perfect Dark Zero for the Xbox 360. Rare is wholly owned by Microsoft and is part of its Microsoft Game Studios suite of internal developers, which also includes Halo maker Bungie Software.

The first advertisement, under the "Artist Vacancies" subsection, calls for submissions from "EXPERIENCED 3D ARTISTS (NINTENDO DS)." The position requires a "Good understanding of 3D packages (preferably Maya), strong modeling and texturing abilities, imagination and motivation are all required from anyone hoping to join our Develop award-nominated team in creating key DS titles."

The second advertisement, under "Software Vacancies," asks for "GAMES PROGRAMMERS (NINTENDO DS)." Applicants must "be motivated, enthusiastic and skilled in C/C++ to join our dedicated handheld team, recently nominated for a Develop Industry Excellence Award. 3D skills also an advantage in creating high-profile titles for this unique system."

Although job listings by a Microsoft-owned studio for DS developers would strike most as definitive proof that the company is making games for Nintendo's handheld, nothing is official...yet. When asked by GameSpot, a Microsoft spokesperson declined comment. "At this time, we have nothing to announce in regards to Rare developing titles for the DS," said the rep.

Ironically, the as-yet-unidentified DS games will not be the first that Rare has made for Nintendo. Prior to Microsoft's purchase of the studio, Rare was a Nintendo-only operation, making games exclusively for the Nintendo 64 and the GameCube before Microsoft bought it in 2002.

Since then, however, Rare has developed several games for Nintendo's other portable: the Game Boy Advance. However, these have largely been legacy deals to port existing Rare games, including last year's remake of its 1985 Commodore 64 game Sabre Wulf and the upcoming version of its 1996 SNES game Donkey Kong Country 3. -from Gamespot

It is also pointed out that DS games and content will be downloadable FROM the Xbox360

OK sooo never happen right?

FANBOY bullshit right?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    Ironically, the as-yet-unidentified DS games will not be the first that Rare has made for Nintendo. Prior to Microsoft's purchase of the studio, Rare was a Nintendo-only operation, making games exclusively for the Nintendo 64 and the GameCube before Microsoft bought it in 2002.
    I hate it when people use the word irony incorrectly (I know this isn't you, it's the original author). Where's the irony in Rare coming from Nintendo originally and continuing to make games for their handhelds?

OK sooo never happen right?
    I'll believe it when I see it. Not so much the "Rare making DS games" bit - I have no problems seeing that. The other stuff is still just rumour, so yeah, it's fanboy wishful thinking still.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is fucking awesome.