Thread: Some TurboGrafx16 questions

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Some TurboGrafx16 questions

Im kinda interested in buying a TurboGrafx16 and I have some questions.

Is the system cheap, the buy off a site like ebay?

Is it an expensive system to collect for?

Does a regular TurboGrafx16 play the cds and the HUD-Cards?(or whatever their called)

Is there alot of good games, enough to warrent a buy?

How many games was released in US for the system?

Thanks for the replys

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turbografx 16 on ebay will run you around $20 - $50 without shipping depending on the condition of the system, and if you get anything with it.

The games go for an average of $10 - $20

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

An original TG-16 (which only plays HuCards), without any kind of CD player attachment, should be pretty cheap, really. They were always really cheap, even when they were new. If you get a TurboDuo (TG-16 + CD attachment built in), that'll cost you a bit. Don't know exactly how much, though. My recommendation is to avoid buying a TG-16 and a CD attachment separately, because many people report that their CD player units are broken. Somebody on here might be able to fix them for you, but it's just a hassle. Also, if you get 2 separate units, you have to worry about getting the right system cards, while the Duo has one built in that will play any game released in the States.

As for collecting, most of the HuCards are pretty cheap, but some of the CD's, like Dynastic Hero or Dungeon Explorer II, are incredibly rare, and go for at least $100 on ebay usually.

There are definitely enough good games to warrant getting a TG-16, with or without a CD player. This system had an extremely low fluff-to-quality ratio. Hudson designed the overwhelming majority of titles released in the States, and did an outstanding job. There are very few crappy games for that machine. Often, if the game was ported to multiple system, the TG version tends to be the best (especially for shooters--such a fast processor!)

I don't know how many games were released in the US, but it's enough to keep you busy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As an owner of the entire US library and every US console, it is a worthy system to buy and play with, though sadly now a days to get the complete experience it will cost you a pretty penny. For the penny pincher consumer, I would go with this route:

A Turbo Grafx 16 with the Turbo CD Add on, with the 3.0 System Card (Or japanese Acrade card pro with convertor).

This set up can be pieced together for a little less or equal amount of a Turbo Duo, but with this you get to play TG16, Turbo CD, Turbo Super CD, plus the added bonus of the Arcade card games from Japan (great ports of several SNK Games to boot).

Be warned though; lately the TG16 has become the eBay obsession, and I've seen some common games go for ridiculous prices. There are many more common cheapie games you can pick up to start, all of which are a blast to play.

There are roughly 139 games for the *entire* TG16/Duo library, and the majority are fun, worth while games. May I suggest these titles to start with, since their all HuCard based:

Ninja Spirits (think Ninja Gaiden with access to all weapons)
    Bonk (any of them, Bonk 3 being a $$$ title)
    Military Madness (awesome hex based strategy)
    Super Star Soldier
    Neutopia I + II (Or: What Zelda looks like on a TG16)
    Super Lap Twin (Racing RPG!)
    Splatterhouse
    World Court Tennis (Uber Pong RPG!)
    Bomberman (required by law to own )

Hope ths helps,
    Jason

**EDIT**
    I almost forgot: The Turbo Grafx 16 is the sole reason why I stayed with video games. Were it not for a $30 TG16 with Keith Courage and Aero Blasters, I would have probably been some lonely non-gaming dope instead of the Dangerific PSX Editing / Game collecting geek I am today.

Let me know if you ever have any questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    As an owner of the entire US library and every US console, it is a worthy system to buy and play with, though sadly now a days to get the complete experience it will cost you a pretty penny. For the penny pincher consumer, I would go with this route:

A Turbo Grafx 16 with the Turbo CD Add on, with the 3.0 System Card (Or japanese Acrade card pro with convertor).

This set up can be pieced together for a little less or equal amount of a Turbo Duo, but with this you get to play TG16, Turbo CD, Turbo Super CD, plus the added bonus of the Arcade card games from Japan (great ports of several SNK Games to boot).

Be warned though; lately the TG16 has become the eBay obsession, and I've seen some common games go for ridiculous prices. There are many more common cheapie games you can pick up to start, all of which are a blast to play.

There are roughly 139 games for the *entire* TG16/Duo library, and the majority are fun, worth while games. May I suggest these titles to start with, since their all HuCard based:

Ninja Spirits (think Ninja Gaiden with access to all weapons)
    Bonk (any of them, Bonk 3 being a $$$ title)
    Military Madness (awesome hex based strategy)
    Super Star Soldier
    Neutopia I + II (Or: What Zelda looks like on a TG16)
    Super Lap Twin (Racing RPG!)
    Splatterhouse
    World Court Tennis (Uber Pong RPG!)
    Bomberman (required by law to own )

Hope ths helps,
    Jason

**EDIT**
    I almost forgot: The Turbo Grafx 16 is the sole reason why I stayed with video games. Were it not for a $30 TG16 with Keith Courage and Aero Blasters, I would have probably been some lonely non-gaming dope instead of the Dangerific PSX Editing / Game collecting geek I am today.

Let me know if you ever have any questions
    well, I have to disagree with you on this one. the 3.0 system cards are insanely hard to come buy and seem to be going for upwards of $80 to $100 just for the card alone. a japanese arcade card and convertor will be even more. add in the TG 16 and the CD add on and you will probably be spending another $200. the CD players with the docking ports, etc are not cheap. plus this set up is slower than a Turdo Duo (slower load times), less reliable, and much clunkier (lots of parts and wires, etc) . I have this set up. I also have a Turbo Duo and a PC Engine Duo-R. The TG-16 with the CD set up sucks.

My advice would be to get a stand alone TurboGrafx 16 and a few quality hu cards. Devil's Crush, Ninja Spirit, Bonk, Legendary Axe, Legendary Axe II, Military Madness, Splatterhouse, Blazing Lazers, R-Type, Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade. All excellent choices and most can be found fairly cheap on ebay or the like.

You will get quite a bit of mileage out of this set up. You can get the system and a couple of games for around $30 on ebay.

Should you really really want to get into CD games, get a Turbo Duo which will cost you around $200 or so. No system card needed and you will get to play most of the must have CD games. Or, get a PC Engine Duo (the japanese version of the Turbo Duo). It will play all US and Japanese CD's, but only Japanese hucards. I have seen them down around $150.

Well, that's my input. IMO, the TG-16 is one of the coolest systems to collect for. Not a huge library, but some amazing games and graphics that are to die for. Have fun!!

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just get a Turbo Duo. You'll get the best of both worlds. It's an expensive feat but it's worth it.

However, you might want to check out the Japanese side of the system (PC Engine). So many high quality shooters and platformers America rejected cuz they have no taste for games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    An original TG-16 (which only plays HuCards), without any kind of CD player attachment, should be pretty cheap, really. They were always really cheap, even when they were new.
    Is it me or do I seem to remember buying it at launch (after stealing one) for around $250? Or was it $200..

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Contaminous
    Just get a Turbo Duo. You'll get the best of both worlds. It's an expensive feat but it's worth it.

However, you might want to check out the Japanese side of the system (PC Engine). So many high quality shooters and platformers America rejected cuz they have no taste for games.
    Probably NEC PC Engine Duo-RX with region mod would be the ultimate apart from SuperGrafx titles...

Personally I use heavily mod'd SGX with SCD module for most play as my Duo-RX is packed away...

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    An original TG-16 (which only plays HuCards), without any kind of CD player attachment, should be pretty cheap, really. They were always really cheap, even when they were new.
    Is it me or do I seem to remember buying it at launch (after stealing one) for around $250? Or was it $200..
    At launch, yes, it was that expensive. Around a year afterwards, though, Genesis was around and the price dropped. I think that by 2 years after it's release, it was under $100. I bought a new one for $50 at Toys R Us about 3-4 years before they stopped making games for it. I got a ton of mileage out of it. It was a great deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll probably just start out with a regular TG16 since, their very inexpensive, and seem to have alot of good games for it. I may buy I Duo sometime, as I would like to be able to play cd games too, but I just don't have the cash for it right now.

Also, I have another question, were more game released as CDs or HUD cards?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

HuCards, by about 100 to 39 I think. Too lazy to count.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great, that means I have access to most NA releases.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snes_collecter
    Great, that means I have access to most NA releases.
    Where in VA you at?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, a good way to go if you are starting down the path of the Turbo, is to just get a TG-16 system for the time being, and a few of the best Hu cards.

Here is a list of some very good Turbo games, and the price that you will typically have to pay to get them if you are relatively patient and use esnipe. (usually loose hu cards or with broken case hinge)

1. Bonk's Adventure (around $8)
    2. Splatterhouse (around $14)
    3. Dungeon Explorer (around $6)
    4. Legendary Axe (around $7)
    5. Aeroblasters (around $14)
    6. Blazing Lasers (around $13)
    7. Military Madness (around $15)
    8. World Class Baseball (around $4)
    9. Keith Courage (around $4)
    10. Ninja Spirit (around $7)
    11. Bonk's Revenge (around $13)
    12. Power Golf (around $6)
    13. Devil's Crush (around $20)
    14. Final Lap Twin (around $6)

I have all of those Hu cards, and they are all great games. If I wanted to jump on the Turbo bandwagon for a low price, but have a nice selection of games, I would get:

1. Keith Courage = $4
    2. World Class Baseball = $4
    3. Dungeon Explorer = $6
    4. Power Golf = $6
    5. Final Lap Twin = $6
    6. Legendary Axe = $7
    7. Ninja Spirit = $7
    8. Bonk's Adventure = $8
    9. Blazing Lasers = $13

Total = $61

But you have 9 very good Hu cards to start out with.

You should be able to get a Turbo unit, with a few of those games, and basically end up getting the Turbo unit for about $18, this would include 1 controller and hopefully a turbobooster. The RF output is crap.

So $18 and $61 is $79.

For $80, you should try to get those 9 games and a Turbo unit. That should hold you over for a long time.

Now, when you finally do get the itch for something more, what you do is get your Turbo region modded.

Region mods are usually in the $40 to $50 range. I got mine for $45. Included a little button on the front, so that I could play both Japanese and American Hu cards.

Now this opens up a whole new world of Japanese Hu cards. Initially, I would start out with relatively inexpensive Japanese Hu cards.

Then, when you get another itch for more, then what you do is you get a CD unit with Docking Station and AC Adapter and a system 2.0 card. This will run you about $65 to $95. This will allow you to also play American and Japanese CD based games. Unfortunately, you can't play Super CD or Arcade CD games........yet.

Then when it's time to move onto the Super CD games and a few standout Arcade CD games, then you get a Arcade Card Pro. I got mine for $35 shipped!! With the arcade card mode, and your region modded Turbo set to Japanese mode, you can play basically any CD based Turbo game! Japanese and American CD's, Super CD's and Arcade CD's.

At this point, you are pretty much set. You started off, with just a regular turbo and some U.S. hu cards. Then later you added a region mod to play the cheap but good Japanese Hu cards. Then after some more time goes by, you added the CD unit and docking station with required AC Adapter, and a 2.0 system card. This allows you to play the first CD based games that came out on the Turbo CD. Then a little while later you add a Arcade Card Pro, and you can play all the incredible Super CD and Arcade CD games.

The only thing that you can't play is SuperGrafx Hu cards. But there are so few of them, who gives a damn.

Here is the total price:

Turbo unit = $20
    Region Mod = $45
    CD unit + Docking Station + Power Brick = $80
    Arcade Card Pro = $40

Total = $185

$185 and you can play everything except the SuperGrafx Hu cards of which I only think there were 6 and only like 3 of them were really good.

And then when you have another itch to scratch you have it modded for RGB and S-Video output.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW to whoever said get a Turbo Duo for $200, just try. I've been chasing them on eBay for months and unless I'm willing to hand down a massive spike with 3 seconds to go I'm not going to get one - and by that I mean I've +already+ tried spiking at $200 and it always goes higher. Sometimes it outstrips my spike well before the auction even closes. I offered somebody on AtariAge $150 for one untested, without any extras, and he still decided to put it on eBay. I spiked it with a minute to go and it still went for well over $200. I'm beginning to think a Turbo Duo is the one console I'll never own.
    Web: www.OHHLA.com, www.RapReviews.com, www.AngryMarks.com
    Forums: www.AngryMarks.com/forums
    Turunga Leela on Info-tari: "Go consummate yourself!!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Actually, a good way to go if you are starting down the path of the Turbo, is to just get a TG-16 system for the time being, and a few of the best Hu cards.

Here is a list of some very good Turbo games, and the price that you will typically have to pay to get them if you are relatively patient and use esnipe. (usually loose hu cards or with broken case hinge)

1. Bonk's Adventure (around $8)
    2. Splatterhouse (around $14)
    3. Dungeon Explorer (around $6)
    4. Legendary Axe (around $7)
    5. Aeroblasters (around $14)
    6. Blazing Lasers (around $13)
    7. Military Madness (around $15)
    8. World Class Baseball (around $4)
    9. Keith Courage (around $4)
    10. Ninja Spirit (around $7)
    11. Bonk's Revenge (around $13)
    12. Power Golf (around $6)
    13. Devil's Crush (around $20)
    14. Final Lap Twin (around $6)

I have all of those Hu cards, and they are all great games. If I wanted to jump on the Turbo bandwagon for a low price, but have a nice selection of games, I would get:

1. Keith Courage = $4
    2. World Class Baseball = $4
    3. Dungeon Explorer = $6
    4. Power Golf = $6
    5. Final Lap Twin = $6
    6. Legendary Axe = $7
    7. Ninja Spirit = $7
    8. Bonk's Adventure = $8
    9. Blazing Lasers = $13

Total = $61

But you have 9 very good Hu cards to start out with.

You should be able to get a Turbo unit, with a few of those games, and basically end up getting the Turbo unit for about $18, this would include 1 controller and hopefully a turbobooster. The RF output is crap.

So $18 and $61 is $79.

For $80, you should try to get those 9 games and a Turbo unit. That should hold you over for a long time.

Now, when you finally do get the itch for something more, what you do is get your Turbo region modded.

Region mods are usually in the $40 to $50 range. I got mine for $45. Included a little button on the front, so that I could play both Japanese and American Hu cards.

Now this opens up a whole new world of Japanese Hu cards. Initially, I would start out with relatively inexpensive Japanese Hu cards.

Then, when you get another itch for more, then what you do is you get a CD unit with Docking Station and AC Adapter and a system 2.0 card. This will run you about $65 to $95. This will allow you to also play American and Japanese CD based games. Unfortunately, you can't play Super CD or Arcade CD games........yet.

Then when it's time to move onto the Super CD games and a few standout Arcade CD games, then you get a Arcade Card Pro. I got mine for $35 shipped!! With the arcade card mode, and your region modded Turbo set to Japanese mode, you can play basically any CD based Turbo game! Japanese and American CD's, Super CD's and Arcade CD's.

At this point, you are pretty much set. You started off, with just a regular turbo and some U.S. hu cards. Then later you added a region mod to play the cheap but good Japanese Hu cards. Then after some more time goes by, you added the CD unit and docking station with required AC Adapter, and a 2.0 system card. This allows you to play the first CD based games that came out on the Turbo CD. Then a little while later you add a Arcade Card Pro, and you can play all the incredible Super CD and Arcade CD games.

The only thing that you can't play is SuperGrafx Hu cards. But there are so few of them, who gives a damn.

Here is the total price:

Turbo unit = $20
    Region Mod = $45
    CD unit + Docking Station + Power Brick = $80
    Arcade Card Pro = $40

Total = $185

$185 and you can play everything except the SuperGrafx Hu cards of which I only think there were 6 and only like 3 of them were really good.

And then when you have another itch to scratch you have it modded for RGB and S-Video output.

Ive got alot of itches to scratch. :P And 185$ isn't alot plus a few hundred for games, sounds good.