So I was reading the thread about SNES/Genesis ports and it got me thinking...

One of my favorite little obsessions in videogame collecting is different versions of things. Little differences that aren't that well publicized, but trigger that autistic dork in all of us. Or maybe he's just in me. Anyway -

What are some of the obscure variations you've heard about or witnessed? My speciality is NES games, and let me tell you, aside from a few label variations (label variations... YAWN) and the Wisdom Tree games, I can't think of a single game that actually has bona fide variations. Besides Super Mario Brothers 3 - the first American release had a grammatical error in the "slot" game.

I've read lots of reports on Maniac Mansion and the hamster-nuking... however I read testimony from a reliable source that it's all urban legend and myth, and all released copies in the states featured this. Possibly the overseas version is the one they meant to finger - after all, it's a well known fact that ever since World War 2, Europeans became sensitive little sensitive-people, and are unable to withstand the sight of red pixels, lest their invisible mommies materalize and beat them with a baguette.

(to all the Europeans on the boards - I don't mean YOU. Just the "you" that comes across in the legislation of your governing bodies. And yes, yes, you DO detect some resentment in my voice. It's a medical condition that Crap Cross doesn't cover so I can't get treatment for. Now excuse me while I debate evolution and worship the Flag, which is what us Americans do all day long, according to our government)

Anyway - so post about the different versions and variations you've encountered in gaming. Make comparisions, draw parallels, and take a critically subjective point of view.