Thread: The Guy Game - Game Over

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Guy Game - Game Over

Well collectors, if you can find a copy of The Guy Game kicking around somewhere, you may want to snatch it up. According to IGN it will no longer be available in stores as THE MAN has deemed it unworthy (something I'm sure most of us had already determined ). The sad thing is that all the unrated footage is now being sold as a type of Girls Gone Wild DVD by the developers. I don't know what this really says about the state of gaming, but I kinda feel bad for TopHeavy Studios president Jeff Spangenberg. One minute he was developing a high profile title in Metroid Prime, the next he's peddling smut to console-loving perverts.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting.

I see it all the time in Gamestops around here. Even still, I can't bring myself to spend $25 on this thing.

Explaining it to my wife would be a harder sell yet. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have a copy I'm trying to sell.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf
    I still have a copy I'm trying to sell.
    Wait 10 or 15 years. By that time it'll be damn near priceless. (OK, not priceless, but it'll command a decent price.)
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: The Guy Game - Game Over

Quote Originally Posted by SKVermin
    One minute he was developing a high profile title in Metroid Prime, the next he's peddling smut to console-loving perverts.
    it looks like they're gonna get rid of gamecube's kiddy image with "Metroid prime 3: Samus gone wild!"

anyways, no matter it's rarity, i really would'nt want to waste my cash on that turd. that, and it would'nt be legal for me to buy it, and my mom really would'nt approve, and i still don't want it in the first place.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smut doesn't offend me. Poorly-made smut offends me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

For what it's worth, a few months ago some of my friends rented this and we played it for a little while.* It wasn't actually all bad. Some of the females were a little scary and the questions were a little crappy at times, but overall it's not the massive shitstack it's been made out to be. It was much better than the other game they rented, Outlaw Golf 2, which was abysmal. I'd pick it up for $10 maybe, but any more than that and it's not even a consideration.

*Honest to god it was my friends, I always try to persuade their attention away from games I have heard are crappy, even if they are titilating.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not sure if i really buy the story of "The Man" forcing them to yank it from store shelves. The way it sounds and is worded, it sounds like they are trying to create some sort of hype or buzz in order to sell DVD's.

Especially since as others pointed out - It's not as if anyone really can't just run to the local shoppe and pick up a copy for 10$. Not to mention the simple fact that "The Man" lacks that sort of authority or power.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game is boring. The girls look like they just snorted a few lines before the taping of the footage & I hate to say it - but none of the girls are anywhere near as attractive as the women that I see on the subway to work each day.

Don't buy the guy game, even if you are a collector, it's totaly crap.

I'm not for cencorship at all - the removal of this item from the marketplace falls under the same category as the shutting down of 'ratemyboobs.com' or whatever the actual URL was for that site.

it's just general censorship and we're going to see a lot more of it. If you voted for Bush, this is your fault. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a link to this story?

Seems stupid to yank something off the shelves because it's a tamer version of what we can get on the internet, video, and Cinemax.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually did buy it, the first time it was yanked, and have found out that it really isn't as turdish as people have made it out to be. Yes, the concept is goofy. Yes, playing it alone is boring and pointless. But the point of it was to play it as a group of guys while drinking and have a lot of fun. If it is played like that, it is actually a decent game. The one problem, as someone pointed out, is that it seems that they went with whatever girls they could find, and not 'hotties.' There are sometimes when the game even makes fun of this a little.

The fact is though, the format of the game meant that if they got stuck with two not-so-great girls and one good one, they had to put in footage of all of them. So the game is stuck with probably 1/3rd not-so-great girls in it.

And considering it is a game that is obviously aimed at the male demographic, that does become a problem.

But anyway, I doubt it was really pulled and if it was, it won't be too big of a deal. Something tells me they were excited by all the press they got last time the game was pulled, so they are trying to convince people it happened again to get more attention and move more copies from people going, "Hey! They're pulling this! Gotta catch it now!"

Based on all of the replies in this thread, it seems to be working
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great timing. I just picked up the Xbox version at the flea market last week for $10. Although I agree with goatdan that this story could be total b.s. just to hype up the DVD release.

I don't know why people rag on this game so much. I thought it was pretty fun. I played it with 2 other people and we had a good time with it. My only complaint though is that the Q&A sessions with the girls are set up as "episodes" and are not random. After you pass one of these episodes, there is no point in going back to it except to see boobies since you know all the Q&A's already. I wish they had more than just 3 mini-games too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    Wait 10 or 15 years. By that time it'll be damn near priceless. (OK, not priceless, but it'll command a decent price.)
    10 years later, it's value has actually gone down. A complete in box PS2 version is $14 shipped on eBay.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mangar View Post
    I'm not sure if i really buy the story of "The Man" forcing them to yank it from store shelves. The way it sounds and is worded, it sounds like they are trying to create some sort of hype or buzz in order to sell DVD's.
    As I understand it, one of the "Juggy Girls" was underage and she's in the game, so they pulled the game from production for fear of a lawsuit.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

pre teen tits?

that's a MUST BUY for most on the internets

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

That story about the underage girl was reported in several magazines at the time, so it's likely true.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    pre teen tits?

that's a MUST BUY for most on the internets
    calm the beef min she was only slightly underage
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

From everything I have read, it wasn't pulled for an underage girl. It was pulled because a woman in the game claimed she didn't know her footage was going to be used.

From Wiki: A woman known as Diane in the game (who is found in Set 5, Episode 20) explained that she was not informed that footage would be used to promote the video game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guy_Game

Edit: It appears there are conflicting reports. Check this out:

A young woman has filed suit against Take 2 Interactive for including topless footage of her in "The Guy Game," the Cox News Service reported Wednesday.
    The pictures were taken during the annual spring break revelry on Texas' South Padre Island. The woman in question was only 17 at the time and therefore legally incapable of giving her consent to be in "," let alone half-naked.

Furthermore, the assertion that the female plaintiff, identified only as "Jane Doe" in the suit, was a minor, calls into question the legality of selling or distributing "The Guy Game" at all. As part of her suit, according to Cox, the plaintiff asked the Travis County Court in Austin, Texas, that all copies of "The Guy Game" with her likeness be removed from store shelves.

http://www.cnet.com/news/topless-tee...-the-guy-game/

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If there was ever a more clear cut case of "nothing of value was lost" I haven't seen it.

Want tits? Internet. Want a dumb trivia game? There's better out there.