Thread: turbo express or psp?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default turbo express or psp?

I've wanted a turbo express for awhile. I remember seeing them in magazines as a kid and thinking how nice they were compared to the game boy and other handhelds at the time. But now that I can play turbo grafx games on my psp is there any advantage to still buying this system? Keep in mind I wouldn't be buying it to resell it or just put it on a shelf, i'd like to play it. Also does this system have the same problem as the sega nomad where the screen gets blurry when moving quickly in certain games(sonic,gunstar heroes).

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Default Re: turbo express or psp?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd
    I've wanted a turbo express for awhile. I remember seeing them in magazines as a kid and thinking how nice they were compared to the game boy and other handhelds at the time. But now that I can play turbo grafx games on my psp is there any advantage to still buying this system? Keep in mind I wouldn't be buying it to resell it or just put it on a shelf, i'd like to play it. Also does this system have the same problem as the sega nomad where the screen gets blurry when moving quickly in certain games(sonic,gunstar heroes).
    Im gonna say to buy it because I dont think a PSP will feel as good in your hands as a TGE will. You just havent wanted the PSP as long as the TGE. Thats my opinion...emulation doesnt stop me from buying anything. "Cant beat the real thing"

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

psp. sure its about twice the cash, but you get ludicrouse more amounts of stuff to do, i dont mean mp3s and umd movies, screw that. its like a pocketpc gone game. you can play a vibrant rainbow of old school roms and emulators (looks like itll eventually be able to flawlessly play everything up to and including the snes) not to mention you can load up your personal divx files and varios html/text files (with the right viewer) all this on a screen thats roughly twice the screen. and im sure when that one psp game comes out thats worth playing... hehe.

as for the battery issues, its not that big of a deal, the TGE doesnt last very long either and you can always get a battery pack, and the psp will still be smaller and lighter than the TGE.

this is all of course if youre just looking to play. a minty fresh complete TGE will be better collectors item, the psp is still young in its life with plenty of price dropping

for the record, i dont actually own a psp, my roommate does, i own a ds (damnit).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I may not have made this clear in my other post but I do already have a psp. It's sitting in my basement right now with plenty of turbo/pc engine and snes roms on it. As for psp games the only ones I like that are out are lumines and wipeout. And the only one i'll be buying this year is Ys(if it doesn't requite a firmware update).

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

If you have a PSP with the emus on it already, the TGE would be good to play with around the house. I'd get the TGE if it was at a decent price, but I don't know if I'd carry it around a lot. I got one a while back and it mostly sits on the shelf, picked up to play an occasional round of Devil's Crush. The PSP is a much easier device to play it all on.

And since someone has said 'nothing beats the original', I understand that, but for maximum portability and ease of use I'd stick with using the PSP while out and about. The TGE, while portable, isn't exactly the kind of device I'd be carrying about due to it's size. It's not made for the current lifestyle of many folks, myself included. Plus, I'd be too worried about it getting messed up, scratched, or otherwise damaged. They aren't exactly cheap.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

The screen is nicer on the PSP, you can expand the overall size of the game image, and the chances of dead pixels on either system are about the same yet a TE dead pixel is MUCH more obvious.

I've played TG16 on both now and there's no doubt I'll be playing mine on the PSP until something better comes along.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For pure playability - go with the PSP. The TE screen just does not work for some of the regular HuCard games that were meant to be played on a large screen. For example, the text in Dungeon Explorer is far too small to be able to read on the TE screen, but with the PSP you can expand the screen size.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok guys thanks for all the info. I'll be sticking with the psp for now. Maybe i'll get the TE sometime when I have spare cash, though I probably will play psp more. I'll just spend my money on a big memory card for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A TG with 6 AA batteries, is a killa on your wrists. With AC adapter probably not, still, very heavy on hands after while of gameplay..

JS

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do suggest that you still persue your search for the Turbo Express. It's an essential piece of my collection.

The TV tuner works particularly well. The TV tuner also has a video input so that you can plug an external video source into it if you have the right cable to do so (it's some sort of mini-jack) But Imagine using it as a portable screen for your Sega CDX! I've still never done this, but I have read that it's possible. And since the PSP can not yet emulate Sonic CD or Snatcher, I think that's more than enough reason to check that out ^_^.