Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Will This Be The Future Game Over The Internet..?

  1. #1
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Will This Be The Future Game Over The Internet..?

    Hi.

    Here is a guy in Australia explaining how it is to remote control a webcam robot in Sweden.

    He is controlling it from the other side of the world over the Internet.....

    http://www.roaringsnake.com/misc/article_tank.htm



    Will this be the future Internet game, to be able to remote control a web camera robot and hunt people with it, on a paintballarena, over the internet?

    Another post is here for you to read about it.

    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...6&page=1&pp=15

    Regards Magi
    Please start United Religions , UR , for gods sake.....

  2. #2
    Crono (Level 14)
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    You need a login/pass for that site. But judging from the videoclip it looks more like a joke. I dont think you will see anything like this before your an old man tho.

  3. #3
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    You need a login/pass for that site. But judging from the videoclip it looks more like a joke. I dont think you will see anything like this before your an old man tho.
    I have tried it myselfe and it works very well.

    Where does it ask for a login/pass?
    Do you mean tank1test/pass

    Why dont you contact the guy and ask for a test drive your self before you write about something you have no knowledge/experience about.

    Regards
    Please start United Religions , UR , for gods sake.....

  4. #4
    Pretzel (Level 4)
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    917
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Yea its asking me for a login too.

    I could see this being possible, but i dont really see the point of it, how is it any different from a video game?
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!


  5. #5
    Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    United States of Camerica
    Posts
    463
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Didn't ask me for a log-in or pass (though I was just reading the article and looking at the pics). Looks cool. It could be the baby steps of a whole new level of gaming some day. I mean GTA wouldn't be here without Pong - no reason not to believe that something amazing couldn't grow from these humble beginnings as well.

  6. #6
    Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

    Default

    Sounds great at first, and then someone is going to get the idea of using it for other reasons.

  7. #7
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    Sounds great at first, and then someone is going to get the idea of using it for other reasons.
    It is possible to stab someone to death with a pencil.

    But I dont think it would be a good idea to forbid pencils for the possibility of criminal use of pencils.....

    Regards
    Please start United Religions , UR , for gods sake.....

  8. #8
    Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

    Default

    Yeah, but the last thing gaming needs is something ELSE for people to bitch about. This is damned dangerous. Now cops need to figure out who the person was on the other side of the planet who pulled the trigger. Not cool. Interesting, but not cool.

  9. #9
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    Yeah, but the last thing gaming needs is something ELSE for people to bitch about. This is damned dangerous. Now cops need to figure out who the person was on the other side of the planet who pulled the trigger. Not cool. Interesting, but not cool.
    I prefer to see the positive possibilities.
    You can be anywere in the world in 60 sec but as a robot.
    You can visit the pyramids one minut and shop in New York a minut later.

    If you have one at home a firefighter, police, maid, doctor and so on is in your home in 60 sec if you need help and turn it on.

    With wimax the wireless range is 50.000 m to a nod in the web.

    Regards
    Please start United Religions , UR , for gods sake.....

  10. #10
    Key (Level 9) Mattiekrome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,988
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

    Default

    Reminds me of that site where you could hunt deer on some ranch in texas through a webcam. Or at least, I think it was deer in texas :/


    PSN: SouthRox

  11. #11
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattiekrome
    Reminds me of that site where you could hunt deer on some ranch in texas through a webcam. Or at least, I think it was deer in texas :/
    I found this.

    http://www.live-paintball.com/



    Regards Magi
    Please start United Religions , UR , for gods sake.....

  12. #12
    Insert Coin (Level 0) atari_wizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    166
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magi
    I found this.

    http://www.live-paintball.com/



    Regards Magi
    the ending is too darn funny!

    not sure how this robot thing would work, but it would be interesting to read about. i am sure they will have something like this one day. as said earlier, not in our lifetime.

  13. #13
    Key (Level 9) Mattiekrome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,988
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattiekrome
    Reminds me of that site where you could hunt deer on some ranch in texas through a webcam. Or at least, I think it was deer in texas :/
    I found this.

    http://www.live-paintball.com/



    Regards Magi
    That made our local Charlotte "Stupid News" bit on the radio a few months ago. Funny video though, especially the way that guy talks


    PSN: SouthRox

  14. #14
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I am building a webcam game robot for a laserdome arena.

    So it will be the first internet game with real people in the game.
    Please start United Religions , UR , for gods sake.....

  15. #15
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    46
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magi
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    Sounds great at first, and then someone is going to get the idea of using it for other reasons.
    It is possible to stab someone to death with a pencil.

    But I dont think it would be a good idea to forbid pencils for the possibility of criminal use of pencils.....
    It's all fun & games until someone loses an eye.
    Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

    Barry Goldwater, 1964

  16. #16
    Pear (Level 6) Rev. Link's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,331
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    How will it be real people in the game if it's just people controlling robots? I mean, how is that any different from controlling a character in a video game?
    Looking to buy: Galerians disc 2 (PSX) and The Unholy War case/manual (PSX). PM me!

  17. #17
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Lothars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Regina Canada
    Posts
    2,432
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I mean i could see it but well it's just one of those things that i dunno if it would happen.

    but games do progess that who knows where it will be even in like 2 years.


    "With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

    http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

  18. #18
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link
    How will it be real people in the game if it's just people controlling robots? I mean, how is that any different from controlling a character in a video game?
    I will have them in a paintball and laserdome arena where there is people playing live.

    So if you are there, as a person, you will be hunted by robots.

    If you control a robot you will be able to hunt people who are on the same arena as the robots.

    Regards Magi
    Please start United Religions , UR , for gods sake.....

  19. #19
    Pretzel (Level 4) zerohero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    992
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

    Default

    Love the concept....

  20. #20
    drowning in medals Ed Oscuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    16,550
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magi
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    Yeah, but the last thing gaming needs is something ELSE for people to bitch about. This is damned dangerous. Now cops need to figure out who the person was on the other side of the planet who pulled the trigger. Not cool. Interesting, but not cool.
    I prefer to see the positive possibilities.
    You can be anywere in the world in 60 sec but as a robot.
    You can visit the pyramids one minut and shop in New York a minut later.

    If you have one at home a firefighter, police, maid, doctor and so on is in your home in 60 sec if you need help and turn it on.

    With wimax the wireless range is 50.000 m to a nod in the web.

    Regards
    Keep up the good work, sir, this tech is incredible.

    For my part, I hate to say it, but Gamereviewgod is scaremongering

    The ability to kill somebody virtually is something that any competent design team working on such a device would see and solve within the preliminary steps.

    Obviously, the robot should be monitored. It doesn't matter what your budget is, if you see somebody acting strangely you can cut the feed, and what's more you've got their contact info.

    Beyond that, though, if it's a free robot in an area with people, if the robot can pick up items you'd want the renting user not to be able to move its manipulator rapidly, so nothing can be thrown/stabbed. Virtual borders might also be useful, so the company can set places these robots could or couldn't go. Not all robots will be of the hulking type; I imagine little ones like the Metal Gear Solid 2 style developed since the '70s could be used for much the same purpose.

    Of course these robots won't replace conventional channels; nobody's going to tolerate a predator drone navigating circles during an opera when you've got more traditional cameras. The same is true of many other events. I think the days of the Goodyear Blimp flyover at football games might be numbered, though, once this tech appears and gains a foothold.

    These are important issues to think about when designing a remote robotic unit, but the designers should have these problems solved from the beginning. As the one GIF shows, there's already a consciousness that a robot could wreak havok

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 12:40 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 07:40 PM
  3. New Back to the Future game!!!
    By Bandicat in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 01:06 AM
  4. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 01:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •