Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rules For "Finds" Threads

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    What about games that we bought through DP that arrived in the mail? Is that a find?
    That can be posted in the usual Weekday/Weekend "Finds" threads. As can anything bought new.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finds forum......
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    Finds forum......
    In my eyes, that would be awesome. Good idea. I wonder what Joe thinks of that idea...

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    Finds forum......
    In my eyes, that would be awesome. Good idea. I wonder what Joe thinks of that idea...
    I'd prefer LESS forums. I'm all for consolidation.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not protesting the 2 different threads (wild vs ebay), but there are people like me who the "wild" is non-existant. I live in a college town where litterally 3/4 of the residence are students with no garage sales, no flea markets, no trunk sales.. just ebgames *which doesnt sell classic games anymore, and bestbuy *which never sold classics and ebay (which I get ALL of my items from). I think its fun to see what others get, I don't really think it matters where they get it.. I mean, if were going to get really picky about it, why dont we make a "finds" thread in the FS/FT forum, Arcade Forum, Scifi forum, Ebay forum etc, depending on what/where you bought your item?

Personally I think a FIND is a FIND. Whether you waited for months and finally FOUND one on ebay or tripped over a box in the fleamarket and FOUND a box of nes games that you bought from some sucker for $.50... I just don't really see the difference, ebay is just another store.

^^Sig by felix. PM me if you want a custom sig.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by felix
    I mean, if were going to get really picky about it, why dont we make a "finds" thread in the FS/FT forum, Arcade Forum, Scifi forum, Ebay forum etc, depending on what/where you bought your item?
    Why don't we? Who's stopping anyone from doing that?

Personally I think a FIND is a FIND. Whether you waited for months and finally FOUND one on ebay or tripped over a box in the fleamarket and FOUND a box of nes games that you bought from some sucker for $.50... I just don't really see the difference, ebay is just another store.
    If you've been doing this awhile you'd understand the difference. The vets here grew up "in the wild". A find on eBay is NOT the same thing. The fact that you can throw as much money at a single item and get it from anywhere in the world disqualifies it in the eyes of many.

I'm in YOUR world now - the only finds in the wild for me are at local trade meets and CGE. My area has dried up. Of course, living in that area for 13 years probably has something to do with that. Anyway, the "eBay finds" is appealing to me because it shows what I COULD have had, unlike the other "finds" thread that I can simply marvel at. Totally different approaches that belong in totally different threads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I'd prefer LESS forums. I'm all for consolidation.
    I agree. Less forums are better.

I understand the reason to have a few, (i.e. topic specific posts that would drop off the page in one big forum), but there are really just too many.

Is there a way the software would allow a sub-category? For instance if I post a questions about arcade cabinets I would post in the main forum (which many people do anyway, either because they do not realizing there is a separate forum or feel more readers will see it in the main). At the time of posting I could click an arcade category button. The post itself would appear then appear in the main forum which would be a superset off all gaming posts. But then if me as a user/reader is only interested in arcade or imports I would still have the sub categories on the main menu effectively filtering only those specific categories giving much the same effect of the current separate forums.

Is this possible?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin
    Is there a way the software would allow a sub-category? For instance if I post a questions about arcade cabinets I would post in the main forum (which many people do anyway, either because they do not realizing there is a separate forum or feel more readers will see it in the main). At the time of posting I could click an arcade category button. The post itself would appear then appear in the main forum which would be a superset off all gaming posts. But then if me as a user/reader is only interested in arcade or imports I would still have the sub categories on the main menu effectively filtering only those specific categories giving much the same effect of the current separate forums.

Is this possible?
    Sadly no, because that's EXACTLY what I'd do if it were available. Maybe in a future version!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I would be happy if Joe just made a Weekday/Weekend "Finds" thread in the relevant forums each week and made it a sticky. That way we don't have any nonsense about people starting threads without having anything to show off, and the topic is very visible.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mean, if were going to get really picky about it, why dont we make a "finds" thread in the ... Arcade Forum,...
    When people find arcade games, they generally do post about it there. And there is much rejoicing.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I mean, if were going to get really picky about it, why dont we make a "finds" thread in the FS/FT forum, Arcade Forum, Scifi forum, Ebay forum etc, depending on what/where you bought your item?
    Why don't we? Who's stopping anyone from doing that?

If you've been doing this awhile you'd understand the difference. The vets here grew up "in the wild". A find on eBay is NOT the same thing. The fact that you can throw as much money at a single item and get it from anywhere in the world disqualifies it in the eyes of many.

I'm in YOUR world now - the only finds in the wild for me are at local trade meets and CGE. My area has dried up. Of course, living in that area for 13 years probably has something to do with that. Anyway, the "eBay finds" is appealing to me because it shows what I COULD have had, unlike the other "finds" thread that I can simply marvel at. Totally different approaches that belong in totally different threads.

You have just inspired me to go hunting this friday/sat/sun.
    I want to find something to post in the "videogames forum weekly finds" thread... see what all this hoopla you old timers talk is about.. wish me luck.

^^Sig by felix. PM me if you want a custom sig.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    Personally, I would be happy if Joe just made a Weekday/Weekend "Finds" thread in the relevant forums each week and made it a sticky. That way we don't have any nonsense about people starting threads without having anything to show off, and the topic is very visible.
    There is no way I'm doing that. Last thing I need is another weekly "task". Plus it shouldn't be a sticky - let it rise or fall on its own merit.

Besides, who cares who starts the topic, as long as it gets done?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if I'm adding anything here:

I've always liked to see posts that highlight a major find; I.E. a massive find like the Famicom FDS post currently in here, or a high rare. If they're in the 'Finds' thread, odds are I'll probably not see it.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com