Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Default Ebay Rant

Ok this is getting old now. I have money. I want to spend my money. And it's not like I'm looking for omg super rare games, and it's not like the games aren't on ebay. They are. But no one can be bothered to list a fucking picture. Then when I email the sellers for a picture they either can't be bothered to get back to me before the auction ends or they send me something blurry, or of suck small resolution you can't tell what condition the items in. One lady was even kind enough to post a picture on ebay, then when I asked for a larger image she emailed me the same exact picture on ebay. WTF?

I fucking hate stock photos.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gonna move this one over to Everything Ebay...

>>>MOVE<<<
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i hear you. but most of these people simply dont have a digital camera. what ive grown to accept, is that patience is a virtue. i check ebay for the games i want very often, for the perfect auction to come along. if not, ill wait. there no rush.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I of course can't speak for all eBay sellers, but when I sell stuff, I usually don't want to be selling it, but am forced to due to financial distress. If I'm in such debt that I have to sell my beloved stuff, am I going to be enthusiastic about buying a digital camera? No.

Still, if someone emails me asking for pictures or whatever, I never ignore them, and do my best to explain the situation.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AT first I thought someone was REposting what I had written earlier. Then I realised it was someone else with the same problem I am having . YOU CAN NEVER GET A GOOD PICTURE OR ACURATE DESCRIPTION!! SEE my thread in the video gameing forum. It is so frustrating because I am so close to being finished with my collection. I JUST WANT TO BE DONE AND MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE! I am tired of checking ebay everyday!!!

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And half the time they package stuff so poorly that it arrives to you in a vastly different condition than when it was listed.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you dont get pictures and are unsure about the condition, just dont buy it. Its as easy as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    If you dont get pictures and are unsure about the condition, just dont buy it. Its as easy as that.
    No shit sherlock.

Not buying it isn't a problem, I'm doing a whole hell of a lot of not buying these past few months. I've got money god dammit I want to spend it. :P

Besides you don't need a digital camera to post a picture- get a disposible. Take a picture of your auctions and some of your friends, your family, your pets. Invest in some god damn memories and have them developed to a disk.

Or simply describe the item your selling very well. If I read a description and it's clear to me the exact condition of the item I don't need a picture to buy. Common sense here.

If the game's in such good condition that you feel a description isn't necesary then list what isn't wrong with it. Ie. No scratches, No tears, No warping, No scuffs, No writing. Gaurnteed like new condition.

But even getting a description from some sellers is like pulling teeth. I know when I sell a game I list all flaws, play up all pros and post pictures of the game, packaging, and hell- even one of it playing on my tv set. I'll even tell you if the battery's good. And it doesn't take any longer then a couple minutes to do.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    No shit sherlock.

Not buying it isn't a problem, I'm doing a whole hell of a lot of not buying these past few months. I've got money god dammit I want to spend it. :P

Besides you don't need a digital camera to post a picture- get a disposible. Take a picture of your auctions and some of your friends, your family, your pets. Invest in some god damn memories and have them developed to a disk.

Or simply describe the item your selling very well. If I read a description and it's clear to me the exact condition of the item I don't need a picture to buy. Common sense here.

If the game's in such good condition that you feel a description isn't necesary then list what isn't wrong with it. Ie. No scratches, No tears, No warping, No scuffs, No writing. Gaurnteed like new condition.

But even getting a description from some sellers is like pulling teeth. I know when I sell a game I list all flaws, play up all pros and post pictures of the game, packaging, and hell- even one of it playing on my tv set. I'll even tell you if the battery's good. And it doesn't take any longer then a couple minutes to do.
    My name isnt Sherlock. And what do you mean with no shit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No shit sherlock.

Its called a sarcasm

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suppafly
    No shit sherlock.

Its called a sarcasm
    What did you think I did?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the problem is at least half of the people selling stuff on ebay only put the video games up for sale because somebody told them they were worth something. they don't know anything about the condition of the games or if it came with a box. they just want it out of their basement. be glad that they didn't just throw the stuff out. lots of people don't bother with pictures or descriptions because it's not worth their time. they don't care if they could have made two more dollars on the auction if it takes them twenty more minutes to find a camera, take a picture, upload it, and all that fun stuff. just set your watch list up for the games you're looking for, makea post to want it now on ebay, and wait for email to roll in telling you what's available. then it takes five minutes to check ebay. if you don't like the description, then just don't buy it. if you're so desperate to finish your collection right away, offer way more than the game is worth on a message board such as this and someone will sell you the game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I refuse to buy any game that doesn't have a picture of the actual item I'm receiving. I guess thats why when i put my auctions up I make sure to include the best pictures I can at the time and make sure the description will point out any flaws.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The item of mine you are bidding on has a good pic :-)

Dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by MightySlacker
    The item of mine you are bidding on has a good pic :-)

Dave
    Yes it does. (:

Scooby: There's no excuse for laziness. I can understand no picture (in some cases, powersellers have no excuse unless the item's factory new), no description however is simply retarded. If they're going to take the time to set up an auction for what you've basically described as the seller's trash, they may as well write a sentence or two about the condition of the item. That's not asking much.

I also have a topic in the buying and selling forum already. I actually prefer to trade on privately run messageboards then over ebay. It's funny but I find the people here are generally more honest.

Besides my topic's clearly labeled as a rant. If I'm annoyed then I'm annoyed. Nothing you say is going to fix it for me. You can just as easily overlook my thread as I can overlook a bad auction. It doesn't make the fact that the auction/thread exists any less irksome for either of us.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's wrong to suggest that most game sellers on ebay are just the guy who found something in his basement. From my experience, most major game sellers on ebay are converted pawn shops or professional thrift/garage sale scourers. I routinely see people with hundreds - thousands of feedback put games up with no picture.

Why?

Usually because their games are in shit condition, that's why. I also refuse to bid if I can't see a picture of the game. You can get a digital for like 50 bucks used - I'll sell you my old one if you're that hard up for cash. There's no excuse on any item of value (actually, any item period) not to have a picture. In ebay sections with well-developed major sellers (such as atlases/maps, as I mentioned in another thread), you will never find a stock picture or a poor desciption. It simply doesn't happen.

For sellers selling good condition games, not including a picture is stupid for your own finances. Buyers aren't stupid. They assume, usually rightfully, that poor description and stock photo equals bad quality game. I've tracked Playstation prices for over three years - there is absolutely no question that a proper picture and description has a significant effect of final price (i'd guess 5-10%). By not including the photo/description, you're throwing that money out the window.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I chalk it up to:

Ignorance
    Apathy
    Laziness

It's the scourge of society and trickles down from the top, all the way down to videogame collecting.

x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I seem to be in the vast minority of people here that is, when the situation calls for it, on the side of pictureless items and sellers, I'm going to point another thing out:

I have completed probably in the neighborhood of 150-200 eBay auctions, with about half of those with me as the seller, and only four of my total auctions ever have had non-stock pictures (the four exceptions were the highest in value of any of my auctions, for which I borrowed a friend's camera, but the pictures turned out terrible and indecipherable). However, if I'm selling something that appears on eBay regularly, I almost always get the higher side of the range of final selling prices. Recent examples include $105 for Suikoden II complete, $110 for Rez complete, and $37 for Battletoads/Double Dragon on NES complete. How does this happen? Well, I describe items as fully and accurately as possible, pointing out all flaws and virtues to the best of my ability. I also think it helps that I don't write in caps lock or spell things wrong. Additionally, my feedback was 100% up until a few days ago. Based on my experience, the combination of these things allows for buyers to trust me, and both they and I wind up happy.

So, while it kind of sucks that some of the people that have posted on this thread would not bid on my auctions by default, that is their option, but to say that pictureless auctions are sold by morons and always (and should) go for less is just wrong.

And, while I'm here, a few pre-emptive rebuttals:

1) Yes, it has occurred to me that if I were to buy a digital camera when I wasn't in a time of financial hardship, future auctions would likely go up in final selling price when I am desperate for the extra money. Alas, it never occurs to me to buy one when I have money; only when I don't and am hastily selling stuff on eBay to pay bills. I guess this isn't much of a rebuttal, but an admission of guilt to some degree.

2) I am in complete agreement with those who say that sellers who don't describe their item decently are stupid. This isn't to say that I won't bid on under-described items, but still.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know it sux if you want a game and there is no picture and/or bad description. But if the seller doesnt answer you after you asked for better pictures its just to avoid to bid or take the chance hoping it is in good condition. Nothing much else you could do, eventho it might sux.