Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honestly, what are the designers thinking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Honestly, what are the designers thinking?

What goes through the designers' minds when they design a new console? Why do they design such weird shaped consoles?

Ever since the early days, we have had weird and wonderful shapes and colours, but very few consoles actually look the part underneath the Tv alongside the VCR / Dvd / Stereo...

Even now, the next gen consoles are still obtrusive - But Nintendo seems to have gotten something right where design is concerned, and have made something which wouldn't look out of place.

The PStwo also falls into this category, as it is small and slim, and unnoticable.

But almost everything else from th last 30 years is just plain fugly. And is it me, or do you find that nothing is stackable, with the exception of maybe the PS2, and one or two others...

You have huge consoles, such as the Xbox; Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer; NES; And Neo Geo's - Then you have your smaller consoles such as the DreamCast and GameCube - And medium sized consoles such as Snes and Mega Drive et al... Nothing seems to be standard sized.

You'd think that after 30 years of console design, that they would actually take a step back and think "Hmmm, maybe we should design something that stacks well; Won't look out of place under a Tv; And isn't obtrusive" - But no, they are still coming out with wacky designs that look like they should have *Fisher Price* written on them instead of Sony or Microsoft.

The Revolution will be one of the first consoles which actually looks good. It doesn't look like a game console - It actually looks like an expensive piece of stereo equipment

And Sony of all people should know by now how to design something properly - But what do they do? They give us something that looks identical to the previous effort, but with curves.

Microsoft - Xbox was almost there, but now they seem to have definitly added the *Fisher Price* look to the X360

And none of these companies seem to realise that many people will actually have more than just one console - TO collector's and gamers such as ourselves, most of us will have at least ten consoles, all of which are different shapes, sizes, and colours - And to be honest, they just look a mess next to on another.

One last thing - White. Who decides to make a console white? (Or rather, creamy coloured) - Haven't they learnt by now that consoles which are made from white plastic are prone to fading into a horrible yellow??? Surely Sega would have learnt this from the NES and Snes, but no, they still insisted on making the DC in the same colour, which also suffers from yellowing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Yes indeed

I think the PS3 itself looks alright, the controller is a monstrosity. The Xbox...I've been playing a few new Xbox titles recently and I'm struck by its oddness...well, sometimes it looks alright and other times it looks like a monstrosity (if that can make any sense).

I don't feel old consoles were uniformly good-looking, either - the Famicom (and the non-matching FDS) and the Super Famicom are ugly as hell, really; the original PC-Engine was small and prone to getting dirty.

I guess the designers are getting caught up in space-age design fantasies (design by committee).

I like the look of the original PlayStation, too...very functional and unobtrusive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Yes indeed

Haven't they learnt by now that consoles which are made from white plastic are prone to fading into a horrible yellow???
    Heh, haven't you learnt by now that plastics have improved over the last 20 years?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

They rarely stack right because console makers are egotistical dicks. They want their 300 dollar beast to be unique and stand out in an entertainment center. Imagine Nintendo molding the SNES so that the Genesis could incidentally sit on top, that's a marketing and publicity nightmare.

There's also the notion that electronic entertainment devices have a liability issue when you start to put weight on them but I still like to think of big companies as bastards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's a great idea: put four slots on top and make a sturdy drink tray that extends out from the sides! Or...wait.

I understand the "can't be flat on top" idea, but it needs to be more obvious (i.e. Xbox) if you're going that way.

Rack-mount consoles? Gimme!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't comprehend this argument. To me, I love the quirky looks each console presents as well as their equally quirky looking controllers. The toaster NES is my favorite looking system of all time. I'd be damned to trade it's style for a look alike VCR in black. It helps people to better identify their consoles. I can't tell you what brand each of the VCR's/DVD players are in my house, they all look generic... the same. And yellowing with most white consoles can be cured with a little cleaning. The only console I know of that yellows due to cheap oxodizing plastic is the SNES, and not all of them were made out of this type of plastic either.

The stacking argument is a good one though. What consoles can we use as a base to stack other consoles? The origional NES, Xbox, and origional PS2 are the only ones that come to mind. Space is my only concern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Xbox works if you don't mind having ring-shaped scratches on the bottom of the console on top - unless that other console has feet, you'll notice the Xbox top isn't completely flat.

Yes, I like the unique look of each console, but it makes switching consoles a huge pain.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I totally agree with Xexyz. The last thing I want in my house are 35 of the more or less same looking generic boxes. I only have 1 each of a receiver/CD/DVD player in my living room, so I guess it make sense that they live together in harmony, but with my consoles, I want variety in its exterior just as variety exists in its interior. The CD player has been the same since its inception, there's really no major difference from machine to machine, especially at the consumer level, so I never think about playing my cds on my Kenwood TXL-1000 or whatever it is I have. It's just my cd player. But I truly think differently about my game machines.

Whether you appreciate the different designs for each console is strictly subjective to each person, not unlike art, and these designs and differences in opinion lend greatly to discussions or stories about each console.

What would we say about the Jaguar if it wasn't shaped like a toilet bowl? What if every company had agreed that the 5200 joystick was the pinnacle of controller design? These differences in design are what differentiates each system, and also what propels innovation and evolution of the species.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    I understand the "can't be flat on top" idea, but it needs to be more obvious (i.e. Xbox) if you're going that way.
    Xbox works if you don't mind having ring-shaped scratches on the bottom of the console on top - unless that other console has feet, you'll notice the Xbox top isn't completely flat.
    That's sort of what I was getting at. Why didn't Microsoft make it flat? It's one thing to make it big and huge, but the least they could've done is made it flat on top so that you could stack something else on top.

But no. You have to make a space for it all by itself - Often on the floor in front of your Tv, because every slot in the unit beneath is full of uniformed audio visual equipment (Which all have industry standard widths whether they require it or not)

Let's put it this way - You go to a stero store to buy a new Amp for your stack - You know that it will fit exactly with the rest of your stack because all companies have agreed on a universal width (Or if you want to be pedantic, several varying widths)

So, you know that your Bose Amp will fit your Sony Mini Disc deck, and your Technics Cd player.

If you have two Xbox's what do you do? You have to either build some shelves or stack them cautiously on top of each other. More than one GameCube? Not a problem as they do stack, but only becomes a problem if you want to play the bottom one. PS2's? No probs here at all. Sony did something right in that respect.

Obviosly cart based machines are a problem, but why didn't they do front loading cart consoles (Similar to how the GameBoy player for GameCube works)

Another thing - You can take a 20 year old amplifier and put it with a brand new 5 disc Cd multichanger - and it wouldn't look too out of place. You can't do that with a NES and a PS3 though :/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Honestly, what are the designers thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    The Revolution will be one of the first consoles which actually looks good. It doesn't look like a game console - It actually looks like an expensive piece of stereo equipment
    I, for one, would prefer a game console.

For the most part, came consoles before the current ones had carts that loaded on top, so stacking really wasn't an issue, and I don't think console manufacturers really want you splitting time with another machine.

I want each unit to be different and have it's own style. I love the sleey, futuristic-looking Genesis, toybox SNES and retro-chic woodgrain 2600.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Say what you will about stereo equipment, but the NES design was revolutionary, a precursor to modern front-loading designs (such as, for example, almost every modern PC and every current-gen game console besides the GameCube...and Dreamcast). Reliability wasn't great, but they tried a great idea with that system.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Say what you will about stereo equipment, but the NES design was revolutionary, a precursor to modern front-loading designs (such as, for example, almost every modern PC and every current-gen game console besides the GameCube...and Dreamcast). Reliability wasn't great, but they tried a great idea with that system.
    Uh, what about front loading VCRs? The first VHS machine hit in 1977, so I'm pretty sure they had front loading VCRs well before the NES came along.

It's still an ugly box IMO.

The whole shape thing is just marketing ploys. If they all made consoles that looked like stereo equipment it'd be harder to distinguish a given machine. It's one of things like choosing a colour for your Gamecube - the actual decision itself means little, but *having* a decision to make is very appealing to a consumer.

Just my two meseta.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have huge consoles, such as the Xbox; Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer; NES; And Neo Geo's - Then you have your smaller consoles such as the DreamCast and GameCube - And medium sized consoles such as Snes and Mega Drive et al... Nothing seems to be standard sized.
    Standardization sounds like a great idea, but look how long it took to finally standardize software packaging. Back when I worked retail, it was infuriating to see another package design like The Incredible Machine or Thief.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SKVermin
    Standardization sounds like a great idea, but look how long it took to finally standardize software packaging. Back when I worked retail, it was infuriating to see another package design like The Incredible Machine or Thief.
    I agree with that. PC games used to be a nightmare, adn it took them till about two years ago to actually standardise everything to Dvd shaped box's, give or take a few.

Mind you, they've been doing that sort of thing in America and Japan for ages, as many of your console games come in jewel cases (Not including those hideous sized Mega Cd and PlayStation long box's)

And at least they kind of did it with PAL DC and PSone games, making them the same height and width as each other...

But - The first CDi looked like a piece of Hifi equipment - And Panasonic decided to make the Cube look like a midi hifi...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    Uh, what about front loading VCRs? The first VHS machine hit in 1977, so I'm pretty sure they had front loading VCRs well before the NES came along.
    Actually, the earliest VCRs would've been top-loading; I've got one that still works from the early 80s (or before). The NES was around about the time front-loading VCRs became standard, though.

In any case, the main idea for Nintendo was to make a games machine that would 'fit in' with other home entertainment devices.

And yeah, I still think it's a nice-looking grey box

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's sort of what I was getting at. Why didn't Microsoft make it flat? It's one thing to make it big and huge, but the least they could've done is made it flat on top so that you could stack something else on top.
    And hide that sweet logo? Sacrilege!
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree with a lot of the other, I WANT my console to look like a game console. I've actually started skinning mine to make them look MORE like a console since they look so goddamn BORING.
    My wife got me an inuyasha skin for my ps2 and I had to pretend to like it, and put it on. Once I got it on, I REALLY REALLY liked the look of it over the standard "black" console, and ordered a few more skins to do, and I like em all much better.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Put me down as ones who prefers practicality over prettiness. If consoles were more standardized, I could fit at least one more in my entertainment center under my television.

Come to think of it, I suppose the real problem is stackability. If only cartridge systems besides the NES were front-loading I could pack so much more down there. As is, my Saturn and PSX sit off to the side.

To sum up, standard widths and heights would nice. Being able to stack things on top would be wonderful. Let the systems distinguish themselves with the paint and buttons on the front.
    "Dost thou love me?" "No" "But thou must!"

My Video Game Journal

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell, I'm really disappointed in the designs we've been seeing for the next-gen consoles. They look like...DVD players. Boring, boring, boring. I like the personality most console designs show.

GameCube: "Look how adorable I am! How can anyone not love me?"

PS2: "I'm basic. Not too showy, but ubiquity has made me distinctive. It's what you do with me that makes the difference."

Xbox: "I WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What goes through the designers' minds when they design a new console? Why do they design such weird shaped consoles?
    Research, research, research.. Sony for instance pays hundreds of thousands of dollars just to get the opinions of their perspective buyers. Sony has a marketing/reserch department that any college student would kill their roomate for to get into.

Ever since the early days, we have had weird and wonderful shapes and colours, but very few consoles actually look the part underneath the Tv alongside the VCR / Dvd / Stereo...
    Companies wanted to make sure that their systems didnt look like the dvd player sitting next to it. They wanted them to stick out a little bit, almost to advertise their presence. Whats the fun in having a $300 dollar toy if your friends think its a $15 Vcr?

You'd think that after 30 years of console design, that they would actually take a step back and think "Hmmm, maybe we should design something that stacks well; Won't look out of place under a Tv; And isn't obtrusive" - But no, they are still coming out with wacky designs that look like they should have *Fisher Price* written on them instead of Sony or Microsoft.
    1st, I would never stick any of my sytems under my tv.. I have a big heavy 20" beast that would crush my fingers apon any attemt to put anything under it. Nowadays, videogaming consoles are as mainstream as dvd players. They have become commonplace and centerpieces to a LOT of living rooms. The days of hiding your system in a drawer/cabinet are gone to the days of case modding, led lights and all sorts of other things to try and make your console MORE noticable.

Thats a personal opinon. I LOVE the way new sony sytem looks. I personally hated the bodystyle change of BMWs in the early 2000s, but I have grown to love the way they look to the point where I would go as far as say that the 2006 BMW 3 series is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Its all personal preference and they design these system to the likes of the GENERAL consumer.

And Sony of all people should know by now how to design something properly - But what do they do? They give us something that looks identical to the previous effort, but with curves.
    Again. I think the ps3 looks great.. im sorry you don't.

Microsoft - Xbox was almost there, but now they seem to have definitly added the *Fisher Price* look to the X360
    Where do you get this fisher price stuff from? Its like saying that the playstation 2 looks like a tonka truck.

And none of these companies seem to realise that many people will actually have more than just one console - TO collector's and gamers such as ourselves, most of us will have at least ten consoles, all of which are different shapes, sizes, and colours - And to be honest, they just look a mess next to on another.
    Heres a fix for you, take a shoebox.. put your console in the shoebox, cut holes for the wires, stack all of your consoles. If you don't like the design on the shoebox, go to your local market and purchase some markers and have at it.

One last thing - White. Who decides to make a console white? (Or rather, creamy coloured) - Haven't they learnt by now that consoles which are made from white plastic are prone to fading into a horrible yellow??? Surely Sega would have learnt this from the NES and Snes, but no, they still insisted on making the DC in the same colour, which also suffers from yellowing.
    Cant argue there. My SNES looks like it was dipped in beef broth.. I guess cuz it was cheap and easy..

^^Sig by felix. PM me if you want a custom sig.