Thread: A NEW Greatest Hits copy? Or a USED 1st Release Copy?

Cherry (Level 1) The_4th_Survivor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A NEW Greatest Hits copy? Or a USED 1st Release Copy?

I have a tiny predicament.

I'm interested in buying a Japanese Import PS2 game from an ebay seller, but they seem to be selling two different copies of the same game, at the same price.

Here are the differences:

(the game title does not matter, but in case you were wondering, it's "Transformers Generations")

1 - The first release copy of the game, but it's in used and 'perfect' condition, according to the seller.

2 - The "Playstation The Best" series (aka Greatest Hits collection) that's still NEW/SEALED.

As I stated before, they both come out to the exact same price, but there are only 2 differences, as previously mentioned.

Personally, I don't mind used games and I don't mind "Greatest Hits" or "Platinum Series" of games, especially if I just want to play them, but I have to factor in that this game is a bit hard to find now since it was released a couple of years ago.

I can't find it at my local import game shop and buying it from a website is more expensive than what the ebay seller has it for.

I can't pass this game up.

Any opinions of the situation as well as the game are appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: A NEW Greatest Hits copy? Or a USED 1st Release Copy?

Hum, interesting av you got there...

PSX The Best is a crappy rerelease setup, in my opinion. They've shrunken the cover art, for one. Maybe there are actually less of these around than the original version (probably true of many "million seller" type games), but it's not worth it. A 'perfect' copy of an original game is what I always look for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Edit - whoops, thought you meant original PSX. Don't know about the PS2 so much, but I'd do the same thing. You really need to be your own guide here if you're not willing to tell us what game it is ;0

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would always go for the original, it just seems like its cooler. And if its in "perfect shape" then there will be no difference in quality, so I say go for the older one!
    However sealed and mint copies will retain value longer but, if you plan on ever playing the game, there would be no need for a sealed copy.
    Also, originals are almost always worth more than their copies if in equal condition, at least in comics and cards, not sure about video games (I've just started collecting).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There always seem to be sealed copies of Greatest Hits titles, though, so that argument doesn't really carry weight with GH copies...at least for now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    There always seem to be sealed copies of Greatest Hits titles, though, so that argument doesn't really carry weight with GH copies...at least for now.
    Yeah your probably right there, but I think that would be just another reason to get the used copy instead of the sealed one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Never said it wouldn't be

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go for the original, better artwork and a higher future value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont mind the U.S. greatest hits versions of PSX or PS2 games but prefer to pick up an original if possible but if its a choice of an old coffee stained cover/box and scratched original or a New Greatest hits I would rather have the new GH version.

I was lucky enough to come across a sealed brand new original copy of Devil May Cry recently for the same price they were asking for a GH version so yeah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Hum, interesting av you got there...

PSX The Best is a crappy rerelease setup, in my opinion. They've shrunken the cover art, for one. Maybe there are actually less of these around than the original version (probably true of many "million seller" type games), but it's not worth it. A 'perfect' copy of an original game is what I always look for.
    Thanks Ed Oscuro. Your avatar is quite interesting as well. j/k

I just love how Snow White has become so sinfully yummy, don't you?

Anyway, about the Japanese PS2 "The Best" title re-releases, they're very similar to the original PS1 "The Best" series in terms of cover artwork and disc pressing. i.e.: the cover art is surrounded by a white border and the words "The Best" are usually located somewhere on the top of it.

The discs are also printed out with similar artwork from the original release, but again, the words "The Best" are usually skewered onto the disc art in some place.

I think I'm going to go for the pre-owned one.

Thanks a bunch for all of your comments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fe2mike
    I would always go for the original, it just seems like its cooler. And if its in "perfect shape" then there will be no difference in quality, so I say go for the older one!
    However sealed and mint copies will retain value longer but, if you plan on ever playing the game, there would be no need for a sealed copy.
    Also, originals are almost always worth more than their copies if in equal condition, at least in comics and cards, not sure about video games (I've just started collecting).

Ah, you're absolutely correct.

I too, just started collecting only a couple of years ago and I've noticed that I usually end up 'searching' for original release games as opposed to their 2nd printings.

I will purchase the used, 1st print copy.

Thanks everyone, for helping me make up my mind with your insightful comments. I do appreciate it.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd go for the used one, for many reasons listed above. I only have 2 PS2 'Greatest Hits' games, and they just dont look nice. (Sucks, one of them I got at EB, the box was the early version, but the box they gave me was GH )
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!