Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about buying a NEO GEO AES, need some advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I'm thinking about buying a NEO GEO AES, need some advice

Well I have $300, enough to burn on a neo geo aes. Now I really do not know much at all when it comes to this system as I always found it out of my reach.

First, is the US version best? what can I expect to spend on ebay for a system, hookups, atleast 1 controller, and atleast one common game?

Also I noticed some systems come with an S video mod. How much extra can this cost me? and is it worth the extra cash?

Any advice you can offer up to me in terms of purchasing a Neogeo aes would be great, I want to make a wise decision before spending $300.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dude i thought about it and i was kinda excited at first but then i saw how fuckin expensive the games were (minimum 75 big ones)...screw that.....get yourself an emulator

neo geo is not worth it dude

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$300 is alot of money. If I had a spare $300 to burn, I would be tempted to get a PSP, with all the emulation that is going on with that thing right now. Or I would think about saving it for later this year. Remember, in November you'll have images of Ghost Recon 3 and Project Gotham 3 for the XBOX 360 dancing in your head.

You can also consider the Neo Geo CD. With the CD format comes drastically cheaper games. And if you have no morals like me, then you can even go with backups.

Of course, I know how it is. You want the real deal experience. You want to experience it like people did back in the early 90's. That's understandable.

If you do end up getting a Neo-Geo, I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg for the S-Video mod. You might as well just get a RGB cable and a RGB monitor. That way, you will experience the Neo-Geo as it really was meant to be experienced. On the same kind of monitor that it was hooked to in the arcades. If you play a Neo-Geo on a RGB monitor, then your experience that you are going to get, at least visually, will be identical to the arcade experience.

Hard to beat that.

You can always go with the "1 game theory".

1 game theory : even though the system is uber expensive, you just buy the system and one game and just live with 1 game for awhile. It forces you to really play the hell out of that one game and to get totally into that one game, and maybe you even finish that one game to completion.

One thing about Neo-Geo you must remember my young son........

Avoid using continues.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

pretty good theory...i know wat im askin mom for x-mas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well I got a psp and 4 games, and xbox 360 comes out right before my birthday...so Im set on that!
    Also does the geo geo cd have the same games as aes? just cheaper?

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check out NeoGeo forums for some good deals. I got my NeoGeoCD and arcade stick for around $100, its the JPN version. As far as I know the collection of games between AES and CD is the same, there might be some AES only games, can't remember - the bulk of things seems to be identical. Some games have intense load times.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by b0bby
    dude i thought about it and i was kinda excited at first but then i saw how fuckin expensive the games were (minimum 75 big ones)...screw that.....get yourself an emulator

neo geo is not worth it dude
    Emulator is 10 times more boring than the real thing.
    For the best AES version I would say the japanese ones. What I've heard it have red blood instead of green and more bounce on the boobs hehe.

I have an AES myself. Not quite sure what model it is acctualy. The box and AC adapter are japanese, but the guy who sold it said the AES was european. Never really checked this. I think $300 for just the system is alittle much. But its a great system and I do recommend getting one

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I posted this in another thread a while back.

Or forget all that and head over to Neo-Geo.com. Hit up the forum users and get yourself a consolized MVS arcade board so you can collect the arcade versions instead. They’re WAYYYYYYYY cheaper.

What’s a "consolized MVS arcade board", DeputyMoniker?
    Why it’s a motherboard taken out of a NEO GEO arcade cabinet! Joysticks have been added and it’s been modified so it has the ability to hook up to your TV! (Among other things) Just be sure to get one with the latest UNI-BIOS upgrade! That "Pause" function is priceless.
    It's also been mounted in a handy protective case so it’s like having a special little animal that’s been bread just for you! It's an easy process and you'll be the envy of all your friends! (That’s assuming you have friends...I sure don’t) Sure the price of a consolized MVS board can be 50% or so higher than the price of a real NEO GEO home AES system but an arcade MVS version of a game could cost you about 20% of what its home AES counterpart would cost you.

There are more options too, theres a supergun and whatever else but if you're really interested in getting into NEO GEO collecting then in my humble and insignificant opinion...I'd say head over to that other place I mentioned and read up on it. (consolized is the easiest, cheapest [compaired to AES] and coolest way to go though)
    I bought a consolized MSV with 4 games & 2 controllers from a member here for $235.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker

Or forget all that and head over to Neo-Geo.com. Hit up the forum users and get yourself a consolized MVS arcade board so you can collect the arcade versions instead. They’re WAYYYYYYYY cheaper.

Why it’s a motherboard taken out of a NEO GEO arcade cabinet! Joysticks have been added and it’s been modified so it has the ability to hook up to your TV! (Among other things) Just be sure to get one with the latest UNI-BIOS upgrade! That "Pause" function is priceless.
    It's also been mounted in a handy protective case so it’s like having a special little animal that’s been bread just for you! It's an easy process and you'll be the envy of all your friends! (That’s assuming you have friends...I sure don’t) Sure the price of a consolized MVS board can be 50% or so higher than the price of a real NEO GEO home AES system but an arcade MVS version of a game could cost you about 20% of what its home AES counterpart would cost you.

There are more options too, theres a supergun and whatever else but if you're really interested in getting into NEO GEO collecting then in my humble and insignificant opinion...I'd say head over to that other place I mentioned and read up on it. (consolized is the easiest, cheapest [compaired to AES] and coolest way to go though)
    I bought a consolized MSV with 4 games & 2 controllers from a member here for $235.
    How many slots?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Most likely a 1 or 2 Slot, as they are the most common of the consolized MVS.

Me? I have the AES US with the Phantom convertor blue version. There's 3 games out of all 150ish or so that will not work on it, and it allows the MVS arcade carts to be turned into their home counterparts, allowing for home cart options on the newer games.

The consolized / converter route is the ONLY way to go with the neo geo. Aside from the rare oddball games, you can get most MVS carts for $10 to $25 shipped, where AES games are in the $75 to $1,000 range.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or if you have the room, you can just get a 1 or 2 slot MVS cab, which is what I'm doing real soon for less than a new PS2 or X Box. I was thinking about a NeoGeo CD, but those load times seem horrifying. Do any of the emulators have Neo Geo CD capabilities? If so, that would be the low $$ solution (I'm doing that with Magic Engine for playing PCE/CD (authentic) titles).
    I had a lovers quarrel with the world.
    -Robert Frost

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have an AES i scored for a mere 80 dollars, however i have no games, and the only games i found in the wild were 50 dollar sports games... so i passed.

i emulate the system on my xbox and it does a pretty good jeeeeorrb. sure, the xbox controllers are not Neo Geo sticks, but its much better than PC control

if you do go with the Neo CD, the control pads are awesome. they have the same clicky thumb pad used on the Neo Geo Pocket, only a little bigger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just some things to keep in mind.

-Neo Geo CD load times can be VERY painful.

-If you want red blood/etc, you must get a Japanese SYSTEM or a modded US system. Every region's games are the same(save for packaging), your system's region determines the language and censorship. In other words, a US Metal Slug would have red blood on a Japanese system and a Japanese Metal Slug would have white blood on a Us system.

-By that same token, generally the text will be in English on a Us system and Japanese on a Jp system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker

How many slots?
    I have a 1 slot. It's all you need...as long as the slot doesnt start to fail. If/when it does I'll replace it with a cab. It's nice to already have a collection of MVS carts.

NEO CD: Load times are too long...I mean really long...I used to start a game, go to the gas station to get something to drink and it would be almost done loading when I'd get back. There is a double speed NEO CD too but youll pay more for it and it still isnt worth it.

AES: Games cost too much.

NEO Arcade Cabinet: Considering size, weight, shipping, parents...it may not be practical for you.

MVS board with Supergun: Best to buy them used because they can be pretty pricey. It's also kinda messy and I dont like mess...it makes me think I'm gonna break something. Do your homework and you can find a good deal.

Consolized MVS: Game prices are WAYYYY lower. If you ever decide to buy a NEO GEO Arcade Cabinet, you'll already have a collection of games for it. It uses the original AES controllers so you'll have that awesome AES feel in your hands. Everything is all in one box nice and clean. They can be pricey though...do your hunting and you should find a good deal on a used one.

As you can see I lean toward the consolized MVS. I formed my opinion prior to spending a dime on NEO GEO stuff so at one time it was an unbiased opinion.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember one guy saying that the load times on a Neo-Geo CD are pretty damn horrible, but it gives him the perfect amount of time to load a bowl on his bong!

he he

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for all the info guys, I have a few questions.

I have put up with long load times before, exactly how often do the load screen come up and how long do they take?

This consilized mvs...Im still not sure what it is, you say it runs double the price of an AES, I'm not sure I can buy this quite yet.

If AES games cost a minimum of $75, I could probably just stick with 1-2 and be happy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    thanks for all the info guys, I have a few questions.

I have put up with long load times before, exactly how often do the load screen come up and how long do they take?

This consilized mvs...Im still not sure what it is, you say it runs double the price of an AES, I'm not sure I can buy this quite yet.

If AES games cost a minimum of $75, I could probably just stick with 1-2 and be happy
    Consolized MVS...did you read my post above? I thought I explained it pretty clearly but nobody ever knows WTF I'm trying to say so am I suprised this time? You know the NEO GEO arcades? Well take the motherboard out of one. Then add a bunch of wires and other stuff to it, mount it isnide a protective case and you have a console-ized MVS. Now you get to buy arcade cartridges for real cheap instead of buying home carts for real expencive. Go to Neo-Geo.com and do a search in the forums for "consolized"...it should pull up something informative. Seriously...IMO you should just forget about the AES. Youll be much more happy with a consolized MVS. Thats just my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's all about priorities! I love my NG! And I love my games! Thats why i am willing to spend the money for it!!
    Guns don't kill people,
    Chuck Norris kills people!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Neo Geo games got 2 standards, called MVS and AES.
    MVS stands for Multi-Video System/Output (used in arcades).
    AES stands for Advanced Entertainment System (used for home Neo Geo consoles).

So what DeputyMoniker said, you take the Neo Geo arcade board from an aracade machine and put it inside a box or simular and modify it with buttons and wires. Now it will work like an arcade cabinet without the cabinet hehe.

Good thing with MVS is that the games are much cheaper compared to the AES games. If you just want to play I also recommend trying to find a consolized MVS. If you want to collect (and have alot of money for the games) I recommend getting the AES.

I have both an AES system and a MVS 1-slot board with MAK SuperGun and I like both.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AES games do not cost a minimum of $75. You can get cheap Japanese games that will play on any region system for much less--especially if you are flexible on the condition. You can get Samurai Spirits II for $35 shipped, and maybe League Bowling for around twice that--both of which are quality titles. Also check out the price guide on Neo-Geo.com. Not perfect by any means, but they make a serious attempt to be as accurate as possible.