Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hardware mods: S-Video on a 32X?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hardware mods: S-Video on a 32X?

ive seen people add s-video to a genesis, but i have the triple deck genny/cd/32x biggie size combo hooked to my television.

so the questions that come up are? does the 32X have enough space to mod an s-video port, and would it work, since it takes composite info from the genesis (?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Re: hardware mods: S-Video on a 32X?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    ive seen people add s-video to a genesis, but i have the triple deck genny/cd/32x biggie size combo hooked to my television.

so the questions that come up are? does the 32X have enough space to mod an s-video port, and would it work, since it takes composite info from the genesis (?)
    This has been kicked around before. According to all the other threads I was able to find on searching, it's "assumed" to be impossible (and no one's done it yet).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dam

i guess ill look into have my genny 3 modded then

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, there are other options.

The 32X uses the same video plug as the Genesis 2. This means, that you can use a Genesis 2 RGB cable with a 32X.

Now, you might be asking, what the heck does this have to do with S-Video?

Well, if it can do RGB, then it can do S-Video. Some people have actually made little video boxes that will convert RGB signals to S-Video. So that if you had a bunch of RGB cables for various systems, you could use all of those cables to get S-Video from those systems.

Also, even better, is if you have a HDTV. There is way where you can turn any HDTV or 480p compatible TV into a huge RGB monitor.

You would need a XRGB2 device, and a RGB cable that will connect whatever system to the XRGB2 device, and a VGA to wide band component adapater. It's kinda complicated, but it will basically turn any HDTV into essentially a huge RGB monitor.

You see, the XRGB2 upconverts the signal to 480p. But the big difference between the XRGB2 and any other upscan converter, is the fact that it actually takes the native analog RGB signal and upconverts that. Most upscan converters take a crappy composite or S-Video signal and upconvert them to 480p.

Well, garbage in, equals garbage out.

But with the XRGB2, it takes the best signal possible and then upconverts that signal. The end result, is that the picture that you get is virtually identical to a native analog RGB signal.

Now, most people use a XRGB2, so that they can play their old school systems on a Computer Monitor, with the best video signal they possibly can, but they don't realize, that if they had a cheap $15 vga to component adapter cable, they could actually use a big HDTV instead.

So, to make a long story short, if you are trying to play your 32X on your TV in the best video mode possible, your best bet might be to get a XRGB2 and a RGB cable.

Of course if you went to the time and effort to do that, then you might as well get RGB cables for all your systems, so you can play all your systems in RGB (technically upconverted RGB) on your big HDTV.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What if you're big TV(Samsung 61' DLP) also has VGA inputs? I've been kicking around the idea of picking up an XRGB2+ and hooking up my Genesis and other systems to it. But was thinking more along of lines of simply plugging them in via my TV's VGA port.

Would this look better, worse, or the same as using a VGA Wide Band componant adapter?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How bout using a model 2 genny as an svideo encoder?I have a bunch layin around and figure it would be an easy and cheap way to get an svideo encoder if one of them has a 1645 in it.Just sub the signals from the 32x after cuttin the traces at the input pins .Then just add an svideo port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since the 32x requires a video input (the infamous connector cable), the real question is what sort of signal is being sent through this cable to the 32x. If it is composite, then an S-video mod is much more difficult (it would require somehow making an S-video input or something). If the signal is S-video or better, then a mod seems possible. Does anybody know the answer to this question? If not, somebody could make a home-made connector cable and observe the effects as specific wires are disconnected.

I am very interested in this.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RGB

Only way to get s-video from a 32x is to add an RGB->S-video encoder.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    RGB

Only way to get s-video from a 32x is to add an RGB->S-video encoder.
    So what do you think about using a genny model 2 as an encoder?
    And I'm guessing ,but I think the signal from the genesis to the 32x is rgb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gcl1984
    Yes, 32x uses the Genesis's RGB signal.

I'm not entirely sure what you're proposing by using a Genny 2 as an encoder.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    Yes, 32x uses the Genesis's RGB signal.

I'm not entirely sure what you're proposing by using a Genny 2 as an encoder.
    I have a bunch of model 2s layin around so I was thinkin if I find one that has a 1645 in it, I could cut the traces at the input of the encoder circuit in it and feed the R G B and sync signals from the 32x into it.Add a svideo output (easier than doin it to a model 1, which I have already done)and plug it in .I figure it is easier and cheaper than building the circuit from scratch.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok ,second model 2 I opened had an 1145 in it.I thought these things had the 1645 but after checkin over at gamesx its the model3 that has it.I only have 1 mdel 3 so I'm not gonna mess with it.
    I'm gonna add svideo to this model 2 and after thats workin I'll see if I can patch the signals from the 32x into it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Genesis model 2 has any of these chips:
    CXA1145
    KA2195D
    CXA1645

The CXA chips can both be used for S-Video. The 1145 requires a bit more work than just caps and resistors.
    Check out my site for Turbo Grafx/Duo, PCE, SuperGuns, and Sega Genesis mods and more.....
    http://www.multimods.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then I'll check the rest of the model 2s I have.I prefer the ease of the 1645.Thanks for the info D.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did the mod for the CXA1145 chip in my Genesis 2. It was complicated but it works fine. I found the instruction at neogeousa.com

I did not know that the Genesis 2 sometimes contains the CXA1645. Are these more or less common than the CXA1145, and where can I find instructions on how to S-video mod them?

I think video mods should be sorted by chip instead of by system.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive also added svideo to a model 1 and an Xeye using the 1145 usindg the same instructions.Its not a bad mod but the 1645 just needs a resistor and cap added to the svideo output.I think its a 75 ohm and 220 microfared.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive also added svideo to a model 1 and an Xeye using the 1145 usindg the same instructions.Its not a bad mod but the 1645 just needs a resistor and cap added to the svideo output.I think its a 75 ohm and 220 microfared.
    Yes all around.

Very few model 2 systems have the 1645. From what I've seen it's about 60-70% KA2195D, about 20-25% CXA1145, and 5-10% CXA1645. I've opened 25-30 of the bad boys so far and that seems to be a reliable estimate.
    Check out my site for Turbo Grafx/Duo, PCE, SuperGuns, and Sega Genesis mods and more.....
    http://www.multimods.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I should have looked in more Genesis 2s before I did my mod. I figured the 1145 chip was the only one, besides the incompatible one.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'll toss a new question out. if this makes any sense:
    The 32x basically "passes the video thru" as far as i understand.
    Theory:
    With an S video modified genesis, would it be possible to REPLACE the passthrough a/v output jacks with s video passthrus?
    I have been trying to figure out a way to do this, but I can't find any friggin' schematics for a 32x, nor can I figure out which chip on the 32x is the VDP, nor can i figure out which chip(s)the passthrough jacks, well, pass through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you can wait a few days, I should be able to tell how to get S-video out.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler