As of late, using FPGA chips to recreate classic consoles and computers at the circuit-level has been a very popular idea, as the end result would be an extremely accurate and efficient recreation of the original hardware that is just not possible with software based emulation. We have seen efforts to recreate the Atari 2600, Commodore 64, NES/Famicom, and MSX by using an FPGA. Well, it looks like one of these projects is actually going to see the light of day. The FPGA MSX is now available for pre-order. However, it won't actually go into production unless 5000 pre-orders are taken worldwide. This system is officially being created by ASCII of Japan, the original creators of the MSX.

Things really get interesting when you compare the hardware used in the FPGA MSX and the hardware used in the FPGA NES. Both use exactly the same FPGA chip, A/V outputs, DB-9 controller ports, and even SD flash cards! So there is a chance that the FPGA NES could be ported to the FPGA MSX, and therefore we would have a system that could accurate emulate, at the circuit-level, both the MSX and the NES/Famicom! All using hardware that is about the size of a DVD movie case!

Anyway, pre-orders are being taken for the FPGA MSX. If you want to see this project succeed, I suggest you place your pre-order now. Finally, note that I am not affiliated with any of these projects, I am just a fan that wants to see them succeed, as I like cool hardware You can find out more information about the FPGA MSX HERE.