Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Gameboy Color/Advance makes Gameboy Games Easier!

  1. #1
    ServBot (Level 11) Cauterize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    3,877
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Gameboy Color/Advance makes Gameboy Games Easier!

    Take a look at this image on Warioland 2 i took:



    Active sprites are given a different colour to the background and therefore cane be avoid/used and so on to an advantage that wouldnt be possible on the original gameboy

    This level on Warioland 2 is made easier as the falling platforms stand out (As shown)

    I just thought id point out this observation to the DP members...

    RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

  2. #2
    ServBot (Level 11) s1lence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Minnesota : Bitterville
    Posts
    3,159
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

    Default

    Hah, I didn't now that. I'm going to have to try it when I get home.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew


  3. #3
    Strawberry (Level 2) Super Mario Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Inside the mind of our youth
    Posts
    482
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I know exactly what you mean,I play Mario Golf on my SP, and when you stretch the screen, it makes the shot bar easier to hit in the spot where you want it.

  4. #4
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Lothars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Regina Canada
    Posts
    2,432
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    hmm very interesting

    gonna have to try that out, thanks for the tidbit


    "With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

    http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

  5. #5
    Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    MegaDrive20XX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Waco TX
    Posts
    5,921
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Super GameBoy does that as well I've noticed with "Wario Land 1" You can see were the platform disappears to
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

  6. #6
    Crono (Level 14) Pantechnicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Alburquerque
    Posts
    6,711
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

    Default

    I've been aware of this for some time. It comes in pretty handy:

    Link's Awakening - The statue knights that come to life when you walk to close are all colored blue on GBA/GBC. You can avoid them easily knowing this.

    Final Fantasy Legend - When looking for Sei-Ryu's in the room full of red orbs, Sei's orb will appear differently colored than the others. This beats going through the monotnous trial and error process of locating the thing.

  7. #7
    Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Posts
    8,435
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default f

    I remember when the Super GB came out, I was actually able to beat Alleyway. IMPOSSIBLE, imho on the original GB screen...

    -Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

  8. #8
    Peach (Level 3) Slimedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    666
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Also, the greater pixel definition and faster switch time make less blur that on the original GB. I find all older action GB games are much more fun becuase of it. Nobody likes blur.

  9. #9
    Pretzel (Level 4)
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North CA
    Posts
    858
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    on a differwent note, has this effect ruined a game for you?

    In gargoyles Quest, all the bosses moving parts are pink while the rest of them was grey. I thought the bosses in that game were cool, but the pink body parts annoyed me to no end. This effect also made the game way easier. I actually would have prefered more of a challenge.

    Oh yeah...BUY GARGOYLES QUEST. Its great IMHO.
    Support Medical Marijuana

  10. #10
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Green Hill Zone
    Posts
    143
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emily
    In gargoyles Quest, all the bosses moving parts are pink while the rest of them was grey. I thought the bosses in that game were cool, but the pink body parts annoyed me to no end.
    Why not just change the colors? When the GBA or GBC starts up with the Gameboy logo and the "ring-a-ling", just use the directional pad in combination with A or B (lots of combinations possible) to set a new palette for the game. Most games are set to the orange-on-green pallette automatically but some are set in different ways. I always though Metroid II was the best-looking GB-on-GBC game due to the pallette it chooses (red/yellow on blue). Whether it was intentional I don't know.
    I'm back on the collecting bandwagon after a long long hiatus

    Digital Press feedback

  11. #11
    Pretzel (Level 4)
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North CA
    Posts
    858
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sage of Sega
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily
    In gargoyles Quest, all the bosses moving parts are pink while the rest of them was grey. I thought the bosses in that game were cool, but the pink body parts annoyed me to no end.
    Why not just change the colors? When the GBA or GBC starts up with the Gameboy logo and the "ring-a-ling", just use the directional pad in combination with A or B (lots of combinations possible) to set a new palette for the game. Most games are set to the orange-on-green pallette automatically but some are set in different ways. I always though Metroid II was the best-looking GB-on-GBC game due to the pallette it chooses (red/yellow on blue). Whether it was intentional I don't know.
    ...Because it doesnt matter if you change the color pallette. Active sprites are colored differently and stand out. I tried to turn this effect off, I dont think you can.
    Support Medical Marijuana

  12. #12
    ServBot (Level 11) Cauterize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    3,877
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emily
    ...Because it doesnt matter if you change the color pallette. Active sprites are colored differently and stand out. I tried to turn this effect off, I dont think you can.
    Incorrect!

    Left + B makes everything Greyscale as if it was a classic gameboy! All sprites & Backgrounds are the same colours! Try it :P

    RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

  13. #13
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    166
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Hey thats pretty nifty! Thanks for pointing that out.
    <center>

    Basking in the summer sun.
    I greeted the seaguls...

    But then...
    I entered the demons den.
    -Ship Archives</center>

  14. #14
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida
    Posts
    151
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Wasn't aware you could turn off the colors or switch them for that matter. Sad fact is I always play GB games on GB, GBC games on GBC, and so on. I really need to try out some of my GB games on my GBC.
    Speed Kills but Strength Punishes

  15. #15
    Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Gapporin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    4,444
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

    Default

    Yep, I noticed this effect a while ago as well. I believe it also effects the platforms and such in Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge.

  16. #16
    Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    MegaDrive20XX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Waco TX
    Posts
    5,921
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emily
    on a differwent note, has this effect ruined a game for you?

    In gargoyles Quest, all the bosses moving parts are pink while the rest of them was grey. I thought the bosses in that game were cool, but the pink body parts annoyed me to no end. This effect also made the game way easier. I actually would have prefered more of a challenge.

    Oh yeah...BUY GARGOYLES QUEST. Its great IMHO.

    I agree to your statement and back up with a 100% support with an offical "Ghouls N Ghosts" Spin-off Seal of Quality
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-21-2015, 08:27 PM
  2. Storing Gameboy Color/Advance games in pages?
    By Deadman in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 05:34 PM
  3. Yu-Gi-Oh! Gameboy Color & Advance - $5
    By Greg2600 in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2009, 12:03 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 07:03 PM
  5. Gameboy Color vs. Advance.
    By Aswald in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 02:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •