Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today I was told that I'm getting too old to be playing VG's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Today I was told that I'm getting too old to be playing VG's

Today in the car with my dad he started telling me how I need to start doing some essays to help with college funds, he then told me "Your getting too old to be playing games all day", menawhile I play maybe 2-3 hours a day.

Now, maybe this would sound better "Your too young to be playing games all day", because kids in school shouldent be playing games all their life, but I'm being told I am too OLD to play games? I'm 17, soon to be 18

Now the funny thing is my dad is like 48 years old, and as I type this he is currently in my room playing ms.pac man (he just died ), he plays that game basicaly everyday, and when he is off from work we are talking a good 2-3 hours of genesis gaming. Isnt it weird that I'm too old to play MY games?

So this topic might mean something to some, maybe you have been told something similar, and to others it might just be some dumb crap you just wasted 5 vmins of your life reading, but I just felt that I would never find myself being too old to play games, because I plan on playing my games to my grave.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your father's clearly a hypocrite.

& please, you dont have to preface/state in your posts that it may be a waste of time to read, just bc lately some jerks have been sh*tting on other people for what THEY consider crummy posts.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found your post most amusing.

You're never too old to play games. However, you should probably cut down to a couple times a week when you're in college.

And your dad is funny. Pacman will never die.
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey nobody is ever too old to play games... videogames are designed for all ages, they keep my 89 year old grandmothers brain active so it's all good

and as long as your getting educated, working and not hurting anybody it's all good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well mabey your too old right now but when you get older you are past the you are to old and therefore can play again

it a span of age actually

17 - ? ask your dad to fill in when your no longer too old

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Monkey Butt

I'm getting close to 30, and as I sit at work right now I am planning to go play games when I get home. Maybe some Destroy all Humans or Hot Shots Golf 3 will pass the afternoon until my gal gets home and we go to happy hour at TGIF
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah I got that speech years ago....Now I'm an assistant manager of a GameCrazy store...Who's laughing now old man? And my mother always told me this shit wouldn't get me anywhere in the work force...
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hear it all the time on Halo 2 on Live.

I just tell the kids that I'm prolly their father and that shuts them up.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shvnsth
    PSN
    shvnsth
    Steam
    shvnsth

i kinda plan on giving up video gaming someday, i mean, in time, all things must pass. its just the way it works, i can't really see myself 40 years old and sitting down to play through a 40 hour rpg.
    Formerly known as "umich."

collection/buy/sell: https://tinyurl.com/shvnsth

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure the early generations said things like this about movies... damn kids...
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I took off on Saturday a few weeks ago to go to Joe's house. My boss asked me what I was doing that weekend, and I told her I was going to be playing video games. Her reply was, "How old are you?" I told her I was 3 years younger than the guy who was having the party. :P (You're 38, right Joe?)
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Ask your dad if you're too old to watch movies or read books. You'll win that battle. From there, you can figure out how to go from there.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're never too old. You only have one life, enjoy it.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

I hate the your too old line.

It really pisses me off when somone tells me that.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats stupid, people are stupid, video games were designed by adults, for play for people of almost any age group, when I was a kid my parents and my odler brother always bought me new games, systems, rentals, all the time.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, I think video games are good for the brain, they seem to develop good problem solving skills, organizational skills, common sense..

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Today I was told that I'm getting too old to be playing

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    Today in the car with my dad he started telling me how I need to start doing some essays to help with college funds, he then told me "Your getting too old to be playing games all day", menawhile I play maybe 2-3 hours a day.

Now, maybe this would sound better "Your too young to be playing games all day", because kids in school shouldent be playing games all their life, but I'm being told I am too OLD to play games? I'm 17, soon to be 18

Now the funny thing is my dad is like 48 years old, and as I type this he is currently in my room playing ms.pac man (he just died ), he plays that game basicaly everyday, and when he is off from work we are talking a good 2-3 hours of genesis gaming. Isnt it weird that I'm too old to play MY games?

So this topic might mean something to some, maybe you have been told something similar, and to others it might just be some dumb crap you just wasted 5 vmins of your life reading, but I just felt that I would never find myself being too old to play games, because I plan on playing my games to my grave.
    I think you misunderstood your father and only hear what you want to hear. Of course the statement that you are too old to play games is not true becasue he plays himself, and I'm certainly playing games and I'm as old as your father; but you put a good advice of a concerned parent out of context.

What he meant is you have to balance your obligations with play. As long as you don't neglect real-life obligations, you're fine. But it seems that your father (correct or incorrect) has concerns that you are playing too often neglecting things important for your future; and two to three hours of play a day on average is a lot. If you're playing at the cost of getting college funds and writing essays, he's correct.

Don't forget....you're young, you are not settled in life, but your father is and has a job. He can play games w/o being concerned about college funds. And I'm sure he had to make decisions in his twenties to get his priorities straight -- such as playing games or going to bars versus bringing a cheque home or changing diapers or watching you kids.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to be 19 soon and I get the same kind of comments from both of my parents about my video gaming as well as riding my bike and watching anime. Interestingly enough whenever I go to my dad's house if he's not working he's playing xbox, I think he's logged 40 hours on fable alone. He needs another system though, i'm getting him a cube for his birthday next month.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

There are ALOT of people like your father. Just take it with a grain of salt.

I have to deal with people who still belive Games are for children. When I try to convince them that games are a billion dollar industrie and tell them that hollywood went through the same Stigma of being looked at as underclass. they just scoff and claim movies are art while games are just a passing fad.

It's like the last thirty years never happened to these people.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sounds to me like he's just stressing out like every parent about to take the plunge into financing their kid's college educaion. If he thinks you writing essays is going to help defray the cost, he's probably a bit loopy after contemplating all the money he is no longer going to have. I bet he's just looking for a sign that you're as comitted to your education as he is. Not that you aren't, but you have to cut him slack considering how much he is about to shell out. I mean, he's basically giving his own future to you. Of course, I know nothing about your situation, so maybe none of this applies.

Edit: I just realized that you were probably talking about essays for scholarships. I thought you meant he wanted you to submit them for publication as a freelance writer or something. Didn't mean to suggest you couldn't write or anything.