Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rare SNES Games

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

1992 Nintendo Campus Challenge:
    NES: Dr. Mario, Pinbot, Super Mario Bros 3
    SNES: S.Mario World, F-Zero, Pilotwings.
    Oooooh, ok. So it was both? hat did they have an NES and a SNES winner? Or did all contestants have to do both? Was an NES and SNES linked via this rj11 port?. Confused... x_x

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    1992 Nintendo Campus Challenge:
    NES: Dr. Mario, Pinbot, Super Mario Bros 3
    SNES: S.Mario World, F-Zero, Pilotwings.
    Oooooh, ok. So it was both? hat did they have an NES and a SNES winner? Or did all contestants have to do both? Was an NES and SNES linked via this rj11 port?. Confused... x_x

-Rob
    Well, I SUPPOSED this situation! All the other infos have been confirmed, but this one no.
    And I think they had to do both, if it was done so. And why not, maybe the CC is just a proto that has never been used and has been pulled in favour of a NES-only event.
    I don't know.
    search engine @

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, I SUPPOSED this situation! All the other infos have been confirmed, but this one no.
    And I think they had to do both, if it was done so. And why not, maybe the CC is just a proto that has never been used and has been pulled in favour of a NES-only event.
    I don't know.
    Oh, ok, so nobody is sure yet whether both systems were used. Does anyone know someone that attended the Campus Challenge event that could clear this up?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know Carnivol attended one. Anyways, here is the only usenet post that pertains to the event. It gives a pretty good overview of the competition.

URL shortened for mercy
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kralleman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicola
    Huh, did you notice that the PCB is marked SNES-EVENT( ) ?
    Yeah I noticed that. I called the cart SNES-EVENT before I got it home to find out what it actually was.

Also noticed that:
    --SNES-CD--

These are pictures of what is said to be a prototype for the SNES-CD, and if you look at pic number three, you'll see the plastic device with the SNES-connectors screwed to the big hunk of metal. This plastic device looks exactly as the campus cart does underneath. Maybe the SNES-EVENT-board is in that one as well. Anyone know about any other SNES-devices where this kind of cartridge was used?

EDIT: Edited link..
    uhh, untill i see some guts of it i am going to say thats not a nintendo produced cd rom unit....i dont expect a read cd unit to look all fancy like the concept we have all seen but i expect it to look a little more professional than a project box with some hole cut in it with not for resale lables made from a rather modern label maker on it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Campus Challege is something that I have never heard of. I guess that goes up there with all the others that i will probubly never get- Star Fox Comp, DKC Comp, and Speed Racer/ Mountain Bike Rally.

And, both EB and Gamestop disco'd SNES in there stores about 2 years ago down in GA and I noticed that they no longer sell them on their websites either.

Aerofighters comes up only about once a year on Ebay.

Bronkie, Packy and Marlon, Rex Ronan, and Captain Novolin are all uncommon, and should probubly be up there. Packy and Marlon was the most difficult one for me to find.

Chavez II only comes up like once or twice a year on Ebay. The first Chavez is easier to get.

Bebe's Kids and Dream TV I got several times through EBs $50 deal.

Robotrek I bought from Swap USA and is fairly easy to find. New Horizons is subtitled Uncharted Waters and is less common than the first. I found it at Swap USA on accident for $10, so I can't say much about the difficulty, but the original can be found fairly easy.

Might and Magic comes up on ebay fairly often, like atleast once a week.

Mega Man 7 is always on Ebay and half the shops that I go in have one.

Anyone else had as much trouble finding Tecmo Super Bowl II as I did. It took me about a year to find one that someone wasn't selling for $40-100 (one on Amazon and one on Ebay).

Final Fight Guy and Ren And Stimpy Fire Dogs are also fairly uncommon especially with a box since they were Blockbuster exclusives.

I didn't have difficulties with Lufia 2 or Bazooka Blitzkrieg but I final found No Escape in Swap USA a while back.

Definately, Super Noah's Ark 3D, only about once a year on Ebay, if that.

I'd say yes on Space Mega Force though I've never looked for it.

Yes on Hurricanes and all the Mario Early Years, and Fun n' Games, though FnG is much easier to find on Genesis.

Jetsons, Flinstones: Sierra, and Pugley's Scavenger Hunt are all pretty rare as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
    uhh, untill i see some guts of it i am going to say thats not a nintendo produced cd rom unit....i dont expect a read cd unit to look all fancy like the concept we have all seen but i expect it to look a little more professional than a project box with some hole cut in it with not for resale lables made from a rather modern label maker on it
    I'm only saying that the cartridge part of the above mentioned cd-rom unit looks exactly as the CC-Cart does. It is the plastic thing screwed to the big cd-rom unit to make the unit fit in the SNES-cartridge slot. So I wondered where the guy who built this "SNES-CD" got the cart. If there are other SNES-devices that uses the same kind of cart as the Campus Challenge one.
    shrimp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 50TBRD
    -Aerofighters comes up only about once a year on Ebay.
    -Chavez II only comes up like once or twice a year on Ebay. The first Chavez is easier to get.
    -Dream TV I got several times through EBs $50 deal.
    AF is rare, I have a copy for sell/trade... looks like I'm leaning toward trading it for a US copy of Power Stone 2 plus $5. Good trade for both parties IMO.

Chavez II isn't so rare. When I was looking for it in the last couple months, I saw at least 4 or 5 copies of it on eBay. I think it's scarcity has been over valued.

BTW, how is Dream TV? Never met one person who had anything good to say about it. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dream TV stinks. Its a platformer that is didficult to control like Prince of Persia. Graphics are poor and I loss interest real fast, but it part of completing out my collection.

Aerofighters is one of my favorite games though. I love 1945 and this is that and a little bit more. I guess you could call it a hidden gem cause I know a lot of people haven't heard about it let alone played it. It was semi expensive. I perfer great games that cost next to nothing. Anyone ever played One Piece Mansion or Battlestations for PS1. They cost me like 3 a piece and are up there.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
    Quote Originally Posted by kralleman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicola
    Huh, did you notice that the PCB is marked SNES-EVENT( ) ?
    Yeah I noticed that. I called the cart SNES-EVENT before I got it home to find out what it actually was.

Also noticed that:
    --SNES-CD--

These are pictures of what is said to be a prototype for the SNES-CD, and if you look at pic number three, you'll see the plastic device with the SNES-connectors screwed to the big hunk of metal. This plastic device looks exactly as the campus cart does underneath. Maybe the SNES-EVENT-board is in that one as well. Anyone know about any other SNES-devices where this kind of cartridge was used?

EDIT: Edited link..
    Of course thats not a Nintendo produces cd-rom. Its the Sony add on for the SNES that was being developed by Sony-Nintendo that eventually turned into the PlayStation. I can garantee you that as ugly as that looked that its REAL. The person that initally showed Dangerboy and I those pictures back in October 2004 would never make something like that up, he had no reason to. It's the real deal.

Inital prototypes often look like crap because this was just to get a version working ( On a Super Famicom no less, not a SNES, even though this unit was found here in the US.) and once things were pinned down they'd get re-tooled and then released as dev units for game makers.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's also proof of it in the form of a picture of it sitting with the owner at his booth at a show.

As Stu said, it's the real deal. Game-Rave doesn't deal in fake crap, nor do our sources.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found Fun n Games at a Pawn Shop. I know that it's pretty rare. Probably my luckiest and best find ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found two copies of Metal Warriors at Swap USA for 10 a piece and while not really rare its nice considering that they go for as much as $50 sometimes on ebay for a loose copy. That might have been one of the best, if not the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally got some time to do the article on the Nintendo Campus Challenge cart.

http://snescentral.edgeemu.com/article.php?id=0790
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone, this is interesting reading=). Great article.
    shrimp

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    There's also proof of it in the form of a picture of it sitting with the owner at his booth at a show.

As Stu said, it's the real deal. Game-Rave doesn't deal in fake crap, nor do our sources.
    i donno there something fishy about it still

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 50TBRD
    I found two copies of Metal Warriors at Swap USA for 10 a piece and while not really rare its nice considering that they go for as much as $50 sometimes on ebay for a loose copy. That might have been one of the best, if not the best.
    excellent find. If I didn't finally snag a copy this past month for $32 I would have begged for one of them :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kept one for myself and traded away away one plus the one that I bought off of ebay a while ago. I got good stuff for my collection for them. Unfortunately, I don't have very many doubles that I haven't already traded or am currently selling. I have had some interesting doubles that I traded away to help my collection out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Joe needs to add the excellent Ninja Warriors to his master list. Both a rare and good game!