Thread: Criminal Intent

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Criminal Intent

First of all, I did a very stupid thing. I bought an item on eBay in a hurry without first checking the seller’s feedback.

That being said, here’s the situation.

So, I purchase The Job DVD box set. I really loved this show when it was on, sad to see it go, but very happy that it was recently released on DVD. In a hurry, I did a 'buy it now' on eBay and then went on my way. After a few weeks and no item, I email the seller to inquire whether or not he had received payment. (The payment method that I used was a bank check.)

The seller responds by saying that he has a former employee, whom he terminated, who did not mail out a number "thousands of dollars worth of merchandise," and by e-mailing me a homemade refund request form.

A quick check of his feedback reveals that he's been using this line as long ago as March. This guy has the worst negative feedback I have ever seen, and most of his positive feedbacks are from people saying things like, "sorry to hear about your employee, thanks for the refund." His feedbacks also reveal lengthily refund times, up to eight weeks for a refund.

Clearly, the seller's story does not add up.

My item was listed on 6/24/05 and paid for on 7/1/05. Why would a disgruntled former employee who caused "paperwork problems" four months ago be affecting sales in July? The seller stated that he refuses to answer this question.

The seller says his records indicate that he received payment but he cannot tell if the item was mailed. He is not willing to send the item but is willing to issue a refund. Why one and not the other? The seller states that he is not willing to answer that question.

Not so relevant, but interesting nonetheless, the seller's address is residential. The seller stated that he refuses to disclose the name and location of his store. This is after I offered for someone who I know who lives in the area to come to his store and pick up the item on my behalf.

This seller is clearly listing items for sale that he does not own and he clearly has no intention of ever mailing out any items whatsoever.

The question is this: What is the criminal intent?

What does this seller have to gain by fraudulently selling items on eBay which never existed, and then waiting 6-8 weeks to issue a refund?

I have three theories of my own, but I don't want to say them yet because I would like you guys to offer up some opinions of your own which have not been biased by you having been already exposed to my opinions.

The theories that I do have aren't really all that profitable either, at least as far as I know.

So, what is the criminal intent; what is the motivation here?

Anyone?

The item in question: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

The seller in question: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...246792&frm=284

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems this guy is doing it for a habit, May i ask how you paid? I don't understand why he is doing it except for that he's testing people who actually want their refund or not, my best advice is to promptly file "Item not recieved" if you paid via paypal, or do a chargeback if you paid with a credit card. and if you paid with a money order , file a mail fraud complaint and DO NOT let him string it out too long for you to leave feedback. definately sounds like criminal intent to me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dieourumov
    It seems this guy is doing it for a habit, May i ask how you paid? I don't understand why he is doing it except for that he's testing people who actually want their refund or not, my best advice is to promptly file "Item not recieved" if you paid via paypal, or do a chargeback if you paid with a credit card. and if you paid with a money order , file a mail fraud complaint and DO NOT let him string it out too long for you to leave feedback. definately sounds like criminal intent to me.
    I used a bank check, as I said above.

No, this guy isn't doing out of habit. He's got to have a financial motive. He's not paying eBay fees to sell these fake items if he's not making a profit.

Ya, I filed a complaint with eBay and with law enforcement and I'm sure I'll get my 6-8 week refund just like everyone else.

But what's driving me crazy is that I just can't figure out a profitable enough of a motive!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The seller says his records indicate that he received payment but he cannot tell if the item was mailed
    Really strange.
    I think that he refunds to some and not to others. Hard to say. He have awful feedback.

One feedback says:

This guy should quit Ebay! Either a crook or stupid! Avoid at all costs!!!!!
    Hehe it might be that hes mentaly stupid or something. I mean, why list items that he apparently dont have, recive payment and refund them? I dont see any logic in this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Maybe it works like those rebate things in the store, he just assumes that a certain percentage will not file for a refund or wlll forget about it, and he makes his money that way.

I assume that 6-8 weeks is not enough time to make any interest money off your payment in the bank.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack

I assume that 6-8 weeks is not enough time to make any interest money off your payment in the bank.
    that was my initial thought... hey if he's got a good enough high intrest rate he could be making a few notes out of it that way

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazariah
    Quote Originally Posted by Flack

that was my initial thought... hey if he's got a good enough high intrest rate he could be making a few notes out of it that way
    I also thought this, but doubt it. If you check the sales its not much money, even if you add it up. You must have alot of money to make some off intrest. Doubt he do all this to make a few bux each month, but you never know.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a few ideas

Could be he is harvesting bank routing numbers off the
    checks and will use them later, I would bet most would send
    a check as Bidpay can be costly for the buyers.

Another possibility, is he refunding the shipping along with
    the item cost, could be he never sends the item and just
    pockets the shipping even when he sends a refund he is
    making 3.50 on shipping

Drew
    Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DREW
    Just a few ideas

It doesn't generally cost much more for a buyer to use Bidpay as it usually costs a seller to accept Paypal payments.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW
    Just a few ideas

It doesn't generally cost much more for a buyer to use Bidpay as it usually costs a seller to accept Paypal payments.
    No argument here, I was only stating he would most likely
    get more checks then Bidpay Payments as buyers are not
    use to paying any cost when using PayPal
    Drew

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's more likely he's spending the float....

You send him $40 for a DVD.

he immediately spends the $40.

He has to wait to sell another DVD to get another $40 to refund to you, hence the long wait time for the refunds.

Yes, sooner or later it will catch up to him, as he spends more and more and thus has to sell more and more to cover it....but I bet he can just get kicked off, get new info, set up another account, and start doing it all over again.

I think he's making up for not having a good inventory connection, illegally of course.