Thread: Are lightgun games dead?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are lightgun games dead?

I remember several good lightgun games for the NES and SMS, not so much for the Gen, then several for PS1 (Point Blank was awesome). The Saturn and DC also had a few great ones.

None that I know of now, though. Has political correctness and the lack of new things to shoot killed the home light gun?

I say home because the arcade seems chock-filled with light guns. Hell, it's tough to find a joystick nowadays.

I only recently found out that there even was a gun for the PS2. Do the other systems even have them?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the current generation systems the number of lightgungames went down fast. Eventhough there are some great once on PS2. It has a number of good and great shooters like Time Crisis 2, Ninja Assault, Virtua Cop: Elite Edition and a few more. The X-box only has House of the Dead III, which is alos a great shooter. I hope we will see a homeversion of Virtua Cop III and Maze of the Kings, but with the current situation I think the chances are small. Poeple just do't play does games that much anymore. A reason can be that lightguns are not supported by a growing number of tv's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know of a few light gun games from the past couple of years...

For Xbox: House of the Dead 3

For PS2: Time Crisis 3, Dino Stalker, Resident Evil: Dead Aim, and at least a half dozen more that I haven't played (Vampire Night, Ninja Assault, etc.).

REA and DS combine shooting with adventuring (a little) by using the D-Pad on Namco's GunCon 2. This works pretty well, I might add. I like this type of gameplay far more than the usual on-rails fare.

Edit: @sharp: That's a nice collection of guns you've got there! (y)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i know xbox has house of the dead 3, and Silent scope 3.
    dunno about ps2/CG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Didn't know this when I bought one but high def TVs apparently don't work with light gun games, at least recent ones, anyway. My Saturn, Dreamcast and PS2 guns do not work with it. I'm hoping to find out if the older ones do, but I don't hold out much hope.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

XBox also had Starsky and Hutch. So did PS2. Lets see if I can do a complete list. My wife is a big fan of shooting things, so she gets most of the gun games.

Xbox
    House of the Dead 3
    Silent Scope Complete
    Starsky & Hutch

PS2
    Crisis Zone
    Dino Stalker
    Endgame
    Ninja Assault
    Resident Evil: Dead Aim
    Time Crisis 2
    Time Crisis 3
    Starsky & Hutch
    Vampire Night

Did I miss any? Of course this is just US releases. By my count, there were more for the PS2 than for the DC.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Duck Hunt for NES

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, those are the only PS2 lightgun games. Its a shame, the new generations simply wont have lightgun games, because you cant play a lightgun game on an HDTV and all that new kinda stuff. Its a shame, too. Arcades are going to be the only place I can get my lightgunin' on.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know the ol' Atari 7800 has a handful:

Barnyard Blaster
    Alien Brigade
    Crossbow
    Planet Smashers

BB & Crossbow were also on the Atari 8-bit computers.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kinda wish that nintendo would make another duck-hunt game for the gamecube (or The Revolution). just imagine; online/1-4 player capabilities, time-trials, less dorky-looking gun... Mmm, Mmm, Mmm, Mmm, Mmm!!!

T2 (Terminator 2) in the arcades was also pretty good, although I don't think it counts as a "light"-gun game >_>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

Hopefully House Of The Dead 4 and a light gun will find a home on the Xbox 360. I think I saw a listing for a sequel to Gunfighter: The Legend Of Jesse James coming to the PS2, which should give us another use for the GunCon.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad
    Didn't know this when I bought one but high def TVs apparently don't work with light gun games, at least recent ones, anyway. My Saturn, Dreamcast and PS2 guns do not work with it. I'm hoping to find out if the older ones do, but I don't hold out much hope.
    Oh man...thats a shame.

Can someone confirm or deny if old school lightguns work on high def TVs?
    Im going to have to hold on to my old TVs now.
    Support Medical Marijuana

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did a little research (http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question273.htm is one of the sites).
    Turns out the only 'new' form of tv that lightguns will work on are CRT HDTV's. LCD, Plasma, Projection and the likes wont work. It has something to do with the way things are interlaced differently. The lightgun depends on certain things in a tube TV that arent there, or are done differently in an advanced TV.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because light guns work on raster scan lines on a traditional TV, they won't work on plasma or LCD screens. Check out the article here for more info:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question273.htm

Not sure about HDTV with a tube, but I would suspect not. Since it has more scan lines and the refresh would be at a different rate and it would confuse the targeting calculation. Maybe if the gun used the old NES method and not the new Time Crisis method, it might still work but I doubt it. Here is what the notice on Time Crisis 3 says on the back of the box:

Guncon2 is not compatible with Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) monitors or Projection TVs and other displays. For addtional detailed information, please visit www.namco.com/support/guncon

Oddly, the link seems dead. There you have it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good question.

In the spirit of investigative journalism, I turned to my sources, which enabled me for a strikingly candid one on one interview with THE Hillary Clinton, who has regular tea and gossip parties with THE Joe Lieberman, THE Tipper Gore, THE spirit of OSAMA BIN LADEN, and THE (corpses of) Adolph Hitler, Pol Pot, and Joseph Stalin - six of the hottest names in censorship and thought control!

The entire interview is way too long to post here and contains lots of references to cross dressing and politics, but here's the relevant excerpt:

[By now Hillary had had about three cognacs and a scotch, and the alcohol was taking effect - it defintiely gets the truth out]

ME: So, Hillary, I have a question for you about "gun games". That is to say, games in which you, the player, hold a non-firing gun replica and shoot at a screen for fun and points. At one time these were all the rage, offering players a new interactive thrill that was easy on the coders and fun for all ages. Lately, these games have been dropping off the face of the planet. Any comments?

HILLARY: Yes! I'm fucking glad about this! So many people are like "why do you be fuckng glad about this" and I say to them LISTEN, when I was a girl I used to watch Howdy Doody and pretend like I was the Puppetmaster! I tied strings to my dog and put my hand in his butt and made him bark! We called ourselves Rooster Bill and Hangman Hillary! Then later on in school my teacher gave me a pen to write with! Not a sharp pencil but a pen with a cap and everything! I tell you I could only stand writing with that for ten minutes before it found its way straight up my snatch! Fucking Chelsea used to play Barbies but now she buys lots of houses and accessories and drives around in a little red car that needs to be pushed all over the place! It is obvious in my experience that nobody can control their imagination and you're putting GUNS! Into the hands of CHILDREN! The message this sends them is like, hey do you know what messages are? That's where it's like the gun is talking to you and filling your mind with the metaphor and it says "Hello! I am a penis! I am testosterone! You wish to fire me! I make you stronger and better!" [At this point, Hillary began screaming "Fight Fire with Fire Fight Fire with Fire" at the top of her lungs for roughly five minutes, then making devil horns and playing an air guitar solo]

ME: Um, Hillary, can we get back on track?

HILLARY: [laughing uproariously] Haha! Faked ya! Yeah that was Satan in my nervesh. Fucking Shatan devil heavy metal and DOOM makes me think that thought makes the funny voices spin makes morality disappear! DON'T YOU KNOW that Morality only exists when it is a tiny voice in our heads, that we are so primitive and bestial a species that without the perception of soundwaves reverberating throughout our consciousness WE WILL KILL EVERYTHING? It happened in Color-the-fuck-ado, Littleton, it happened in Littleton, it can happen right this place here! [grabs for my tape recorder, trying to find the microphone and speaking towards it] PUT THAT DOWN! IN THE TAPE! IT COULD HAPPEN... [she blinks slowly, cocks her head, and points her finger] ...RIGHT HERE!

ME: Um... thanks, Hillary. Can I have my tape recorder back? [I gently took it back]

HILLARY: So give a kid a gun and you're telling him to kill and teach a man to shoot and you're firing the trigger at yourself with three fish in the hole, and a vote for green is a vote for RED.

ME: Better red than dead!

HILLARY: [at this point she shot me a dirty look. I smiled to show her it was just a joke, and she took it well]

In conclusion, no. Videogame companies are controlled by a bunch of completely spineless cowards who are paranoid neurotic about the bottom line - more so than any other field. Losers who've been picked on and made to feel down their entire developing lives, and haven't ever felt enabled enough to Rise Above. They take politics seriously. They take marketing seriously. They take the outdated perceptions of gamers - that we HATE THE JAPANESE LOOKZ AND LOVE BIG BEWBZ AND EXPLOSIONS MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE - and use it to forcefeed us soulless, wretched games. It's such a sad state that a completely average game like Alien Hominid is elevated to a level far beyond its merit as a game just because it's SOMETHING NEW THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX - even though it's just a clone of Metal Slug.

Sooner or later, either one of the big three - my money's on Sony - will lose the image obsession and gain a reputation for being leet and liberal, and a new Golden Age shall reign supreme, or the current big three will fade off and some newcomer will arrive on the scene. It'll likely enver be like it was in the 80s, unless smaller developers pool their resources and offer 10 games on a DVD for $20 (which would rock), or major developers stop sucking so much.

My money's on the former, and I wish I was in a place to make this happen myself - the economics work. Two people developing a game, focusing on fun instead of the pretense of objective "quality" (OMG SO MANY POLYGONZ = GAMEING REVOLUTIONS), and the collective base pooling their resources into one company that makes just as much profit, per person, as E.A., and possibly sells twice as many copies.

Oh, and as a final note - yes, at the end of the interview I TOTALLY boned her. Some of the raunchiest, sleaziest sex I've ever had. Pity I'm too dense to get myself into the After Hours forum, otherwise I might post about it. She has this mole on her inner thigh that's so---

*coughs* Enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really want to start getting the ps2 light gun games I have virtua cop 1 and 2 for the saturn and they rock, but yeah I wouldn't say that light gun games are dead

they are just not as many as they use to be

though they are definitly in the minority of games being released

I would love to see more light gun games, just like someone else posted a multiplayer duckhunt would rock

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars