Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeper of the Week: Adventures of Cookies & Cream (PS2)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sleeper of the Week: Adventures of Cookies & Cream (PS2)

Got a date? Here’s the perfect game! “But wait” you say, “I don’t want to let him/her know I’m a geek on a date! I’m trying to keep it a secret until he/she likes me!” Well, trust me on this one folks, this is the perfect date game! Fun for everyone, two player simultaneous (but not in the way you think!), and cute as a button, The Adventures of Cookies & Cream is a game that you simply must try, especially if you don’t game alone!

So what is this mysterious game that can make a date go more smoothly you ask? It’s not a dating sim! The Adventures of Cookies & Cream is the story of two rabbits, named obviously, Cookies and Cream. At this year’s Festival of the Moon, they have suddenly found that the moon is missing! Being the good Samaritans that rabbits usually are, they of course volunteer to get it back! Ok, fine, the story is pure cheese. But we don’t care about that. What we care about is the gameplay! And The Adventures of Cookies & Cream has gameplay like nobody’s business!

Basically this is a vertical platformer. By vertical I mean you are always headed towards the top of the screen, similar to say, Jackal or Crash Bandicoot. But that’s where the similarity to other games ends. Why? Because The Adventures of Cookies & Cream is a cooperative platformer! The screen itself is divided in half. On each side is one of the rabbits. When playing two players, each player is on one half of the screen, and you both must complete the level within the time limit. But there’s a catch (there’s always a catch, isn’t there?)! What you do on your side affects the other side of the screen. So if you go too far, your partner gets stuck! And on top of that, you and your partner must cooperate to pass certain obstacles, raising and lowering water levels, moving traps, distracting enemies! If you think this is one of those games you just sit down and play, you’re sadly mistaken! Be prepared to shout, argue, chastise, and jump for joy with your partner on this one! The game basically forces two players to stay in constant communication, giving advice, helping solve puzzles, etc. Some sections of the game also require both partners to move in tandem in timed movements to progress! Oh yes, and you also have a time limit…so don’t fool around pondering! You won’t make it if you hesitate! You can see how this would be interesting now, right?

So how does this work? Well, you have several control options. The game can be played single player, but it’s unbelievably difficult, as you must control both characters (including jumping) with both analog sticks, and jump with both L and R buttons nearly simultaneously. As you may know, it’s very difficult for the average person to use both hands independently of each other at the same time. Personally, I find this to be unfeasibly difficult, and The Adventures of Cookies & Cream to be basically solely a two player game. There are two two player modes. One lets Player 1 use the left analog stick and the left buttons to control, and Player 2 use the right stick and right buttons to control. The other lets both users use the same button configurations, which made more sense to me. My wife and I played this one for literally weeks.

Graphically, this is a good game but nothing special. Think Crash Bandicoot and you’ll pretty much know what it looks like. The sounds are amazing, especially in Music World where the environment reacts musically to you. Overall though, I found that the sound was very nice and had lots of great effects. The game is also unbelievably hard and in later levels requires high degrees of precision from both partners. Expect nothing less than a full-fledged challenge to your gaming skills! In addition, there’s a 4 player versus mode where you can battle it out with weapons and items from the game. It was nice of From Software (the programmers) to throw it in, but I didn’t really play it so I don’t have much to say about it.

In the long run, I found that while the game is great for two players, only bring someone you can occasionally berate to play it with. In other words, save it for at least a 2nd or 3rd date! My wife and I got into arguments about how one or the other of us was “throwing the game” or trying to kill us and whatnot. But the important thing is that we had fun. A lot of fun! And isn’t that what gaming is about? So whether you have someone to play it with or just fantasize about having someone to play it with (seriously, see a counselor), go out and pick up a copy of The Adventures of Cookies & Cream! Once you get someone to play it with, you won’t regret it!

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Sleeper of the Week: The Adventures of Cookies & Cre

Yet another great pick. This game is my GF's favorite of all time. We played through it over a long weekend--the only time I've ever seen her go into "gamer mode."

Two E3s ago, at a meeting with Agetec, I got to chat via translator with the producer of Cookie & Cream. (That title was decided in a contest among game journos; one of my cohorts at PSExtreme had the winning entry.) The producer indicated that From Software wanted to do a sequel, but that the mediocre sales didn't justify it. I wanted to weep.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes this is DEFINITLY a sleeper hit! It turns off many gamers due to its name and definite kiddy look, but lieing inside is a deep and engaging puzzle/platformer! Great for 2 player (if u wanna cuddle up with ur best friend or significant other, as you play 2 player on 1 controller) or test your brain skills by controling both characters at the same time, it really tests your thinking skills!

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love this game! My sister and I used to play this all the time. We mostly argued a lot when we played
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Man are you crazy??? Bringing your date to this game makes you fight.

A former GF when we first got ps2's picked this game up, and no matter WHO played it together (her and I, her and sister, mom and sister, me and any of them) within 10-15 minutes we'd be yelling at each other because someone 'fucked' up somewhere. I dont think we made it past world 2 or 3.

However on that note, it was an incredibly ingineous game and i've never played anything like that before, and due to the outcome probably will never play anything like it ever again.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We didn't fight playing it at first :P

Just depends on the person

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Man this game looks fun, I saw it when it first came out, and just passed it over. Now I am intrigued that this can be a great "date" game. I am pretty excited to try this out! In fact....

....I think I just Cookied and Creamed my pants...
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I really like this game, but I need to find someone to play it with. It's ridiculously hard if you're playing by yourself.

Still, a very fun, very different game. Love it.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to play Cookie and Cream with my wife. It was fun until it got too hard for her and she thought she was letting me down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Monkey Butt

As a two player game it may be fun, however I tried it as a single player game and it was just crap. Very difficult/odd controller setup. I think you controled one rabbit with each analog stick and the buttons seemed out of place. I don't recomend it as a single player game, unless you like frustration!
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought this last year before I even had a PS2. Then, since I couldn't play it anyway, I traded it to ClubNinja. So, Scott and Eva, how do you like it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Sleeper of the Week: Adventures of Cookies & Cream (

I've never heard of this game before but thanks alot it gives me an idea of being able to go and look for it now,

hmm thanks alot.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, my gosh. I can't believe you're just talking about this game. My brother and I just beat it again for the second time yesterday. I love the game, but I agree, fights do happen a lot when we play.
    An emotion as such tells you nothing about reality, beyond the fact that something makes you feel something.

-- Ayn Rand, "Philosophical Detection," Philosophy: Who Needs It

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What are these "dates" you guys speak of?
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How hard to find would you all say this is? I went to quite a few places this weekend and didn't see a single copy of it anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Its a very interesting game to say the least. Nearly impossible for one player but quite enjoyable with 2 players. I personally like to play with 2 controllers but it also suggest sharing one controller. Yeah most appropriate to play that way with the oppisite sex thats for sure. Cant be sharing the controller with another dude. Not that there is nothing wrong with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis
    Not that there is nothing wrong with that.
    EDIT: Not that there is [anything] wrong with that. Let's not be savages :P

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ha. I just saw the "not that there's anything wrong with that" episode for the first time last night. Comedy.

And I like Cookies and Cream, too. I see that you are mining the hell out of the early PS2 library in your sleeper picks, max. Funny, because I already have almost every one you've highlighted. I was a lot more on top of releases back then. Anyway, keep up the good work!
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually bought Cookie and Cream for 10 bucks a few months agoIt is a really fun game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    I see that you are mining the hell out of the early PS2 library in your sleeper picks, max.
    Yeah, there's a LOT of stuff that people missed completely. I want to do some earlier stuff too, but a lot of SNES/Genesis era sleepers are all so well known. I'm trying to spread it around tho!