Thread: Sega Genesis/CD Homebrewing - Make Your Own Game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Strykir
    PSN
    Zexmaix

Default Sega Genesis/CD Homebrewing - Make Your Own Game?

I know homebrewing is possible for these two systems. The Sega CD being the most recently discovered one seeing as Good Deal Games has been rereleasing games and their own homebrews. Just wondering if anyone here has dabbled into the arts of it.

I know a little C and C++ programming myself, but how exactly would one program for these systems? Is it a whole nother language in itself? I would have to think it's not something as simple as compiling a program on the PC, and then converting it to work on a Gen/CD. Plus trying to get all the hardware and graphics units to sync up and allow the code and accessing the hardware itself I'm sure is a task in itself.

Just sort of looking for a general base of where a person would start with something like this if they wanted to try some things. Any homebrew Genesis/CD sites available out there?

The thoughts of a Sega CD MMORPG using the X-Band modem make it hard for me to sleep at night, lol. Not something too amazing mind you, but if you've ever played Graal Online, you know what I'm getting at.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are tons of sites, tons of info out there, you just have to look for it. http://www.google.com/search?q=sega+...en-US:official
    Try that for a start. I hope you also have a lot of time available to read the manual on the Motorola 68K family too, some z-80 assembler background will help with sound programming. If you want to try something simpler, start with the master system, it uses the z-80, easy as hell to program for.