Thread: Boy, what a complete douche!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Boy, what a complete douche!

Well, I've just had my very first video game collecting experience that left a bad taste in my mouth. I guess I've been spoiled because since I plunged back into this hobby because I've only dealt with good, knowledgeable people. That changed today when I went into a local "Cyber X-change" store looking for a dogbone controller for the NES. First off, the guy claims there is no such thing and that I must mean an NES MAX controller, and showed me one. I told him that no, that wasn't it, it was shaped like a dog bone or figure 8. He said "I've been in video games for 20 years and I've never heard of it, which means that you must be wrong because I've heard of everything." I shit you not, that's what he said. I figured it was just a lack of communication, so I actually drew him a picture and told him that it came with top loader systems. He said nope, nintendo never came out with anything like that.

Ok, so at this point I realize that the guy has his head up his ass and it's not worth arguing. Fine, I decide to just browse the other stuff in the place. He looked out front and asked if that was my Mini Cooper. I said yes, and I guess to him that meant I was loaded. Now, my name may be Mark, but that doesn't mean I am an EASY mark. The guy said that I mentioned a top loader NES, and he could get me one cheap. I was on my way out because he didn't have any NES carts for less than $10, but that made me pause and ask how much. He said $600. I told him he had to be kidding, and he said nope, thats what those great rare systems go for, and he had just sold one that morning for $1100 at auction. I asked if the person he sold it to was crazy, and he said "no, that's what they go for with the box, I sold a boxed Atari 2600 for almost two thousand at auction too." I laughed out loud and told him that was a total ripoff and I could get a toploader on Ebay for $100 MAX. I think he then realized I wasn't a mark, because he said well then you go do that. I said I would, and that I'd also tell every collector I know in the area not to shop there and walked out, with him saying "Bye!"

Man, I couldn't believe it. I guess it burned more than it should've because when i was collecting comics back in the 80's, the only comic dealer in the area was also a total ripoff asshole. I sold that prick more than my fair share of valuable comics for 1/10th the value, just because I was 16 and broke and had no other option and I wanted to buy pot.

Ah, now I feel better, having vented and being back among friends who actually know what they are talking about. That guy gets my nomination to take the award from John Edwards and become the new "Biggest Douche in the Universe!" I only wish I could follow through on my threat, but I don't know any other collectors around here!
    I, Garland, shall knock you all down!

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Boy, what a complete douche!

Quote Originally Posted by Britboy
    and he said nope, thats what those great rare systems go for, and he had just sold one that morning for $1100 at auction. I asked if the person he sold it to was crazy, and he said "no, that's what they go for with the box, I sold a boxed Atari 2600 for almost two thousand at auction too."
    Douchebag squared. If you would have stuck around long enough, I'd bet anything he would have told you how you could win $500,000 by merely sending $5000 to him.

"Why, the wealth transfer fee alone would run in the thousands!"
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

The good thing is, you know better so you didn't get burned.

The bad thing is, there's gonna be others in your area who don't know any better and are gonna get burned.

But I kinda believe in the "fool and his money are soon departed" philosophy, so I can't feel too sorry for someone who gets ripped by this clown. I mean, information on fair prices is not very difficult to come by (unless you don't have an internet access, I guess. But if you're willing to drop $600 on something based soley on the seller telling you that's what it's worth and not doing any research on your own, you probably don't need the $600 anyway.)

Cold and heartless, perhaps. But it just seems to me like people who don't spend the mininum amount of time looking into things deserve what they get.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, I totally sympathize with you. It really pisses you off when some video game shop person thinks that YOU, A Game Collecting Veteran(not that I know you personally, I'm talking about myself) doesn't know jack squat!

I had a similar experience, if you don't mind I'll share it with you. A new videogame shop opened in my area a few years ago, so I stopped in, it was called Videogame Exchange, they had alot of the old stuff. Well, I quickly found a big box of loose 2600 games, and I asked what he wanted for those carts. He said 1$ a piece. It had alot of commons and uncommons, so I said thats fair and bought about 10 of them. Then a month later I went back and asked to check out the 2600 box again, it had a whole bunch of new stuff. Like MASH, and Beefsteak Tomatoes, and other goodies. I started to pick out what I wanted, took them to the counter, where I said how much? Still a buck? Nope, 20$ a piece, for loose 2600 games, UNTESTED. I said forget you man and told him he'll never sell those at that price to anybody. He told me the exact same thing your guy told you, he said people have been coming in the past few weeks paying that price for those games, those are hot items. Yeah right. Man I was pissed.

I feel your pain.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What an asshole.I would have threw something at him if I were you.Man,people like that... >

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

It's really funny how this guy said that he never saw a dogbone controller before yet he sold a top load NES, in the box WHICH HAPPENS TO HAVE PICTURES OF THE CONTROLLER ON IT. Hel-Lo.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would have unloaded on his ass. i would have screamed at him about how much better i am then him. yeah.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only wish I could follow through on my threat, but I don't know any other collectors around here!
    hehehe, yes you do...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Default Re:

Never has a topic subject been so so SO true.

dave

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asharru
    I only wish I could follow through on my threat, but I don't know any other collectors around here!
    hehehe, yes you do...

Oh that's right, I forgot!

*waves at Asharru*

Hey, stay away from the Cyber Xchange in McKnight-Siebert shopping center on McKnight Road! The guy's a douche!

Boy, getting to follow through felt good!
    I, Garland, shall knock you all down!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe you should take a boxed Combat cart to that guy and try to offer him $100 for it, telling him he cpuld probably sell it on that auction for $1,000 because boxed games are so rare.

Maybe I could loan you my dogbone controller and let you laugh at him in his face with lots of "I-told-you-so" face!
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Surely, you jest? How can anyone in the year 2003 possibly NOT know that those prices are an obvious rip-off?

Steer clear of any such place.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Start telling your friends and those around the area how much of a jackoff and an ass the guy is and how he rips people off.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Start telling your friends and those around the area how much of a jackoff and an ass the guy is and how he rips people off.
    Uhh Kaine, I think that was his point, that he doesn't know anyone else in the area to tell.

Thanks Mr. Odvious. You're a life saver.