Thread: help with football games

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default help with football games

This is a pretty embaressing post for me but I decided to do it after reading Anthony1's thread about football games. As strange as this sounds I am a 19 year old male and I know absolutely nothing about football. I was always more into music and sega systems as a kid. Therefore when I picked up tecmo bowl and tecmo super bowl I had no idea how to play them. They could be the greatest games in the world but I wouldn't know. If anyone wants to explain how to play football games in a very simple way(and without making fun of me ) it would be greatly appreciated.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Hmm... probably would be best to start with Tecmo Bowl, and maybe a look at the sport itself on Google... but I'll try.

On offense, you have four downs to gain ten yards by running the ball and/or passing. If you make it, you get four more downs. Obviously, you need to make it into the other teams endzone.

If you don't get ten yards in a set of downs, you can punt or attempt a field goal. Usually, anything further than 40 yards out is punting territory.

Punting is of course turning the ball over, but the other team will have far worse field position.

Defense in Tecmo is non-existent for the most part. Just dive for the guy holding the ball.

If that's confusing (and I know it is), just keep asking. We'll get you there.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just remember that in Tecmo Super Bowl, the stats are a little bit funky - the SS's stats effect how good your punt returner is! (Cincinnati is the best team in the league), and the game randomly fumbles that causes endless frustration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well you got the right game (Tecmo Super Bowl) so the first step is done.

I'll try to do this as simple as possible:

Start with a preseason game Man Vs Com. Pick a good team like the 49ers or Bills for yourself and a bad team for the computer like the Patriots or Jets.

The kickoff is pretty standard you want to kick it when the metter is full.

On Defence (when the other team has the ball) you don't actually pick plays but you try to guess the play the computer is calling. You do this by pushing the corrisponding D-pad direction and button. Select a player before the other team snaps the ball (when everyone starts moving).
    Two things will happen when the ball is snaped either someone will start runing with the ball in which case you go try and tackle him (run close to him and tap the b button) OR the ball will be thrown to someone downfield with an arrow over their head. You can either run toward the the arrow or any person running down the field without one of your players following him. OR run after the guy getting ready to throw the ball and try to tackle him before he throws it.

On Offense you have 8 plays you can pick from. The top 4 are running plays in which as soon as you hit A button it give the ball to another player and you try to run down the field without being tackled (moving up and down helps). The bottom 4 plays are passing plays where when you hit the A button an arrow will appear above one of your players running down the field and you can change the player you want to throw to by conitnuing to tap the a button. when you see someone with no one arround them hit the b button. players will run off the top of the screen and you wont be able to see them but pay attention to weather another player from the other team followed them. if not throw it to them.

General football rules you get 4 trys to go 10 yards and if you make it you get 4 more trys. The 10 yards are marked on the sidelines by (red/pink) markers. If you get a loss of yards (go backwards) on a play you have to still make it to that original marker.

Kicking points after and field goals. If you score in the game you kick an extra point. just snap the ball and hit a right away it is impossible to miss no matter where the arrow is. If you get close to scoring and you are on your 4th try to make a first down you can kick a field goal by selecting it from the drop down menu. try and get the arrow righ in front of your kicker.

I don't know if that helps or not but I hope you can enjoy the game as much as I do.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After reading your posts and taking a few notes I went and played about an hour of tecmo bowl. I still suck at it due to having never played a football game in my life but now I understand just about everything that's going on and it seems like a very fun game.

I realized that I let a friend borrow tecmo super bowl, so i'm just dealing with regular tecmo bowl for now. I'll try to get the other one back this week. BTW now that I can play these games, how is tv sports football compared to these? Is it similar or more complex?

Anyways, you guys really helped me out, thanks again and 100 meseta for each of you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Make sure you get that Tecmo Super Bowl back. You might just get addicted like me and start making reproductions each year.

this might be helpful too (this one is for Tecmo Bowl but they have them for Tecmo Super Bowl as well.)

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/f...cmo_bowl_a.txt

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

You may be better off reading some basic rules of football online.

Tecmo Bowl is good to pratice in, but then if you want to see a more realistic example of how football is played, check out either the Madden or Sega football games.

(And that's another reason I never play Tecmo Super Bowl anymore....it was made during the period when the Pats SUCKED hard. :P I MUCH prefer kicking ass with them in Madden 2005. )
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    You may be better off reading some basic rules of football online.

Tecmo Bowl is good to pratice in, but then if you want to see a more realistic example of how football is played, check out either the Madden or Sega football games.

(And that's another reason I never play Tecmo Super Bowl anymore....it was made during the period when the Pats SUCKED hard. :P I MUCH prefer kicking ass with them in Madden 2005. )
    I have the same issue with the red sox in older baseball games.

And I didn't know sega made their own football games on the genesis. What were they called?

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

They did'nt, I was refering to the recent NFL and ESPN football games.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sega games were the Joe Montana Sports talk series and then later changed to NFL 94, 95 ect...

I used to play alot of Sports Talk back in the day but by todays standards it might be hard to go back to it. I find that the more sim based football games don't age as well as the more arcade feeling ones which still hold up today.