Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Default Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution

I recently picked up this game for $10.81, and I am definetly not disappointed. In Virtua Fighter 4's Kumite mode, I had 480 wins and 58 losses, and I was a Stormlord. I was definetly proud of that.

In this game, they have the new Quest mode, which pretty much the same except with a couple tweaks and stuff, like how you can get items and money for the shop. Right now I'm 4th Dan with 186 wins and 10 losses. Man, those losses were some really close fights, too. I'm getting pretty good with Akira, as thats who I used in the original Virtua Fighter 4. I keep my record as accurate as possible as opposed to those who like to keep their undefeated records unscathed.

Anyway, any of you guys have this game? If so, whats your rank? I'd recommend this game to those who like fighting games.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Furthest I got was 2nd Dan with Lao (nickname 'GrillCheez')
    100% acurate win ratio.

Then I got bored of him, and started again with Lei Fei ('Punkin')

A very worthy buy that's for sure, but I really wish they didn't give it Greatest Hits Packaging. Sticks out like a sore thumb on my shelf.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the game and this game taught me two things
    1- I don't like fighting games in this generation and
    2- I'm bad at fighting games.
    Great game though if 1 and 2 doesn't apply to you.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only have VF4, and I really didn't feel it was needed to get that one.

That said, its been awhile, and I dont remember my rank. Go figure.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the VF series but I view VF 4 as a stepback for the series. VF3 is the best figthing game of all time. The only place to go is down I guess. It sucks they will never bring the dodge button back. Damn you Yu.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    I love the VF series but I view VF 4 as a stepback for the series. VF3 is the best figthing game of all time. The only place to go is down I guess. It sucks they will never bring the dodge button back. Damn you Yu.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I also thought VF3 was the best VF game. It felt like the most natural progression from the near perfection that was VF2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuplayer
    Quote Originally Posted by RCM

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I also thought VF3 was the best VF game. It felt like the most natural progression from the near perfection that was VF2.
    And again we agree. Good man! VF2 and VF3 are so fucking good it's sick. My first arcade game was a VF2 deluxe machine. I hope 5 is better.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im not a huge fighting game fan by any means but due to the excellent reviews (never saw ONE bad one) of VF4: Evo, I thought it belonged in my collection. I've barely played it but the one day I did spend on it was fun- I was laughing/enjoying how much @$$ I was kicking! I chose Akira (recently learned he's not the best choice for beginners- ideally for more advanced players) & busted my way through most matches using his "crouch-stomp" move. In Quest mode I rule the first arcade & bought some new different color clothes & some character films. I dont have very many losses either, which makes me wonder if I've been ignoring my true calling (fighting games).

The major differences between VF4 & Evo are that they cleaned up the graphics a bit (no more jaggies) & got rid of Kumite mode but added Quest mode & 2 new characters.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VF4 Evo is a must have for any PS2 owner. I haven't had that much fun in the VF series since VF2...
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    Im not a huge fighting game fan by any means but due to the excellent reviews (never saw ONE bad one) of VF4: Evo, I thought it belonged in my collection. I've barely played it but the one day I did spend on it was fun- I was laughing/enjoying how much @$$ I was kicking! I chose Akira (recently learned he's not the best choice for beginners- ideally for more advanced players) & busted my way through most matches using his "crouch-stomp" move. In Quest mode I rule the first arcade & bought some new different color clothes & some character films. I dont have very many losses either, which makes me wonder if I've been ignoring my true calling (fighting games).

The major differences between VF4 & Evo are that they cleaned up the graphics a bit (no more jaggies) & got rid of Kumite mode but added Quest mode & 2 new characters.
    I agree, Akira is not a good choice for beginners. However, I made the same mistake and chose him too. After awhile, you get used to his moves and he can be a great character. I hate people like Kage, though. Who have combos that can be executed by simply pressing punch three times then kick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

VF is a great series of fighting games, but they're extremely complex. Each one became more difficult and complicated, which is fine for the long-time fans, but it leaves newcomers out in the cold.

VF4 and Evo really did a great job in trying to bring the novice players back into the fold. There are enough moves by now that randomly mashing buttons - which is considered outright blasphemy by the dedicated VF fans - will get you some results. The training modes are just perfect, and all the trinkets and extras are a perfect incentive.

So, I love the game. The only problem is that there's never anyone to play against. Experience trumps everything else in Virtua Fighter, more so than any other fighting game. I guess this isn't a problem in Japan, where it's extremely popular, but in the West, you're going to be lonely if you're a veteran.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I think it's a steal at $20, much like Sega's 2K5 sports games. Your only real investment is in a pair of good arcade joysticks, which are outrageously expensive. I miss the days of the NES Advantage.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!