Thread: Sealed NES games, what's the deal w/ the horizontal seam?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sealed NES games, what's the deal w/ the horizontal seam?

Just wonderin'
    I'm selling a Championship Bowling sealed NES game. There is a horizintal seal on the back, why is that so important? And why do people buy those things? What's all the commotion about it? I kinda understand, but a part of me refuses to agree with such madness! I like functional games, ones that I can play!
    I have two basic food groups, fast and frozen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree, I like games I can play too. I had a factory sealed NES game once and it was kinda cool to have this brand enw game that is like 20 years old, but pointless. I sold it and bought better stuff.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo sealed the NES games with horizontal seam. It means its official sealed by NES. If you buy a sealed NES/SNES game and it doesnt have that horizontal seam its most likely resealed.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there's a little more to it than that as all unlicensed games would be missing the seam, certain late issue nes are missing it, majesco snes rereleases don't have it; etc. But yeah for most games that's a valid comment..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3 of my sealed NES games, Treasure Master, Bill & Ted's, and Carmen San Diego are all new, as they look genuinely new and in mint condition, but yet, none have the horizontal line.. I got all 3 from different sources, and yet all 3 have a perfect sealing, with a straight vertical line on the sides, but no horizontal on the back. If you touch the box carefully, you can feel the styro, the game inside a bag, etc.. Either I have 3 late releases or the horiz. is not 100% accurate, because I have many sealed and know what a sealed looks and feels like, both cosmetically and conditionally.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got the NES Cleaning Kit sealed and someone just asked if it was re-sealed. To my knowledge it's not, but there's no horizontal seal.... The seams around the edges are really tight though, I've used the bubble wrap machine and would find this type of consistent line around the whole outer of the box very difficult.

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2
    Well, there's a little more to it than that as all unlicensed games would be missing the seam, certain late issue nes are missing it, majesco snes rereleases don't have it; etc. But yeah for most games that's a valid comment..
    Plus the fact that pirates and scammers can duplicate the seal as well if they wanted to be sneaky about it. Hey, if they can counterfit actual cartridges I really don't think that making a vertical seal in shrinkwrap would be that big a challenge.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bizbiz
    3 of my sealed NES games, Treasure Master, Bill & Ted's, and Carmen San Diego are all new, as they look genuinely new and in mint condition, but yet, none have the horizontal line.. I got all 3 from different sources, and yet all 3 have a perfect sealing, with a straight vertical line on the sides, but no horizontal on the back. If you touch the box carefully, you can feel the styro, the game inside a bag, etc.. Either I have 3 late releases or the horiz. is not 100% accurate, because I have many sealed and know what a sealed looks and feels like, both cosmetically and conditionally.
    Carmen is a big box game - none of those had the seam.

bill & ted's is def. a late release.

treasure master I can't remember, but I thought that had the seam.

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.Faxanadu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ignore.... very tired :/
    Check out HitpointZ.com to see all my items for sale!

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.Faxanadu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What’s Odd about bill & ted's is that I found two copies sealed at Microplay just this year. One was sealed w a hor line and one was sealed with no line
    Check out HitpointZ.com to see all my items for sale!