Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW B&S Forum Guidelines! Now w/ Selling FAQ! PLEASE READ NOW!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Default NEW B&S Forum Guidelines! Now w/ Selling FAQ! PLEASE READ NOW!

Thank you for your co-operation...

In order to be a fair and safe community for trades and sales to take place, we would like to bring out some new guidelines. Most of them are common sense, but it’s becoming apparent that said common sense is sometimes left outside the forums. Please do read these rules and take them on board; ignorance is no excuse for failing to heed them.

2014-06-07 UPDATE: Please see the forum's official FAQ for any and all rules, guidelines, and answers to common queries and concerns about posting here. If you have a question that isn't answered by this thread, check out the "Buying and Selling" section in the Retrogaming Roundtable FAQ, especially if you need to know why you can't (yet) post in this sub-forum.

Posting a thread
    So you want to buy something, or sell something? Please title the thread appropriately giving as much detail where possible. In the thread if possible, list prices you are selling at, or will pay for items if wanted. It helps anyone else out to know what ranges are on offer.

Here are some common abbreviations that people often use in their topics and posts. You may want to use these to let people know if you are buying or selling an item, for example.

WTB = Wanting To Buy
    WTT/WTTF = Wanting To Trade/Wanting To Trade For
    FS = For Sale
    FT = For Trade

Backups
    No backups. No burned games. Please do not post that you have those types of games for sale or included in any package you are selling. If you do, they will be removed from your postings and you will be warned. Needless to say there are varying degrees of pirate availability. Famiclones? Okay. Multicarts? Okay. Twisted Metal on a CD-R? Not okay. Neo conversions? Let us know up front. The device on which to play the games is okay (i.e. flash cart) but NO ROMs on them. Please note that this rule also applies to all types of media (music, films etc), not just games, and also to posting WTB threads not just selling/trading.

Courtesy
    In courtesy to others, if you have multiple items you want to sell or are looking for please post them in one thread. The more unnecessary threads you create shuffle other members’ posts off the front page. Also, to conserve space, mods may combine topics at their discretion.

Bumping
    If you absolutely must bump your topic, please ONLY do so after a period of 24 hours since your last bump was made. If you have new information to add, please add it at the time of a bump. If you add info after an hour and bump it, you'll ruffle the feathers of the mods, and this is a sure-fire way to get your thread stopped. No ifs or buts here. Premature bumping is the number one violation and anyone found doing so is likely to have his or her thread automatically closed as a result.

References
    If it’s your first time selling and you are new to our forums, please provide some feedback or references you have, such as eBay. You’ll find more people will be willing to deal with you in general. There has been an increase in people not following through with deals recently.

As always, CAVEAT EMPTOR.

(that's BUYER BEWARE btw)

Disputes - new 15/08/2006
    Unless there is genuine proof that a user is duping/scamming multiple other members, moderators and admin should not be involved in personal qualms, disputes or arguments regarding any trade or sale on these forums.

Any payment issues should be taken up with Paypal or whatever was used for that half of the deal. Please allow people time enough to complete transactions before complaining about where your goods are. Which brings us to...

Communication
    Please check your PMs (personal messages) regularly. Buyers and traders start to get antsy when their messages aren't answered. We understand that real life problems can sometimes get in the way, but it only takes a second to send a message saying you got their PM/email/payment etc. and their package will be sent later/soon. If you are doing potentially large deals, please turn on the PM notification so you get a note in your email box.

Sale spoiling
    Please do not march into a thread and state that you can get an item for $X on eBay or some other online store. If you think their price may be too high, don't be rude about it. If others feel the same way, then it won't sell. This is a hobby where each person gives an item a different monetary worth. While it's fine to look out for others, people should also do research into the item they are buying.

Similarly, if you want an item that someone else is also asking for, it is better etiquette that you create your own topic with your contact information, trade list, or the price you're willing to pay.

Staying on topic
    Please limit your topics to BUYING, SELLING and TRADING items only. Asking questions of an item's worth, or what is a good price for an item does not really belong here. These types of question should be posted in the Video Game Forum (or Everything eBay if you see it on there), or even go look up the Online Rarity Guide. The only exception to this is an attempt to resolve a deal here (e.g. if people go missing and haven’t been heard from in a while).

Loans
    Posts asking for people to loan them money will be locked.

Policy changes
    As of 18th April 2005, this forum is now for buying, selling and trading only. All eBay auctions (yours or anyone else) should be posted in the Everything eBay forum.

No "Junior Modding" - new 18/12/2005
    If you're dealing with someone in a thread, a helpful hint here and there is fine. But if you have no business in the thread, then you consequently have no business publicly notifying others of the rules in said thread. On the other hand, feel free to PM any of the mods here if you think something has slipped through the cracks of our attention.

If you have any questions about this, feel free to contact any of the moderators. We would be more than happy to help.

******GrandAmChandler's Selling FAQ******

I have noticed lately that some people are having trouble selling their items on here lately. I am putting together some tips for selling, to help you the seller make some sales, and to make the "for sale" posts easier to search.

1. Title your thread correctly

Make sure you title your thread appropriately. People want to know what it is generally that you are doing!

• FS = For Sale
    • FT = For Trade
    • WTB = Want to Buy
    • WTT = Want to trade

Also, make sure you include some system names or abbreviations so people know what you are selling! (NES, DC, GEN, SNES, TG16, etc.)

2. PICTURES.

If you are selling, make sure you provide some pictures! There are tons of free picture hosting sites you can sign up for like photobucket, imageshack, etc. Did you know that items with 2 or more pictures are 9% more likely to sell on eBay? Yeah, this isn't eBay, but you get my point. This here is collector territory, we like to see the exact condition of our items before purchasing.

3. Always list prices

If you don't list prices, most collectors will not bother to contact you. Unless you have something unbelievably rare (ie: Prototype or impossible to find), 9 times out of 10, the majority of users are NOT going to "make you an offer." List prices! The online rarity guide is a good place to start. Keep in mind this is a collector's forum, so if we really wanted eBay prices, well, we could just go to eBay. Even if you list them at eBay prices or higher, the worst that could happen is that your item doesn't sell.

4. Describe condition as best as you can.

If your listing has pics of the front of a cartridge, but there is a big freakin' blockbuster sticker on the back, state that it is so. If a cat has peed all over your Turbo Grafx lot, make sure you tell people. Describe the condition of boxes, manuals, discs, carts, etc. ALWAYS. Also, make sure you note if the item you are selling is complete, loose, has manual, etc. That could help justify your price more.

5. Feedback

Make sure you know who you are dealing with! Everyone's feedback should be in the Feedback Forum. Here you can see the prior trades a person has done, and if they are a reputable buyer / seller.

6. Shipping

List your shipping method! No one wants to PM you to purchase a game they need quickly, come to find out you are gonna ship it media mail! Also, it'd be nice if you state if you use bubble mailers or boxes. Also, if you only ship to a certain location, please make sure you list that as well. It really sucks when you have to cancel a sale and refund money when you forgot to state that you don't ship to a particular location...

7. Payment methods

Be sure to list what methods of payment you accept! Most users on here use paypal, but others deal strictly in money orders, cash, and checks! Let people know how they can pay you!

8. Be up to date with your sales.

If something has sold, Edit your post and make it so. If something is on hold, make sure people know so they don't waste your time. Also let the people know how they can contact you! PMs, email, etc. And make sure you reply to everyone, even if an item has sold already!

9. Honesty is the best policy

Make sure you are up front with every buyer. If something is untested, let them know. If something is missing from the item make sure you state it. It's better to be up front than to deal with paypal or angry customers later!

That's it! Now you are ready to sell!

-GAC-
    Last edited by Nz17; 06-07-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: updated to include link to forum FAQ with newer info/guidelines

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If this is like wargames, I guess that make you Matthew Broderick. Who would we have playing Dabney Coleman?? I was thinking Sothy would play the role well.

Seriously though, this sounds like a really good idea, Mat. Let's hope everyone tries to adhere to these rules.

Danny

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

I have a old running fs/ft thread, if I want can I delete (obviously tell you to do it, cause I cant) it, and make a new one? Or am I stuck with that one? I want a new one so people dont have to go to the second page for nothing. Plus its a new start I guess for selling/trading.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by demen999
    I have a old running fs/ft thread, if I want can I delete (obviously tell you to do it, cause I cant) it, and make a new one? Or am I stuck with that one? I want a new one so people dont have to go to the second page for nothing. Plus its a new start I guess for selling/trading.
    Basically, the way I interpret our policy against multiple threads is anything having to do with the front page. If your thread falls off from the front page, it's perfectly fine by me if you want to start a new one. I tend to view the front page here as something that every member should have an equal share of, since it's the only thing most potential buyers/sellers perusing through here see, and anything on page 2 and beyond being of relatively little importance.

Of course, there is always the slight risk of someone bumping one of your other threads back from the depths and onto the front page, so if you'd like to be dead certain that that doesn't happen, PM either myself or Mayhem and we'll lock the old one for you.

Also, please PM me with the thread you'd like to be closed. We never delete threads here unless they're outright spam, but locking is really all that's needed to prevent a topic from being bumped anyway.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

New rule in place, see bottom of first post for details. Please read and understand, your co-operation is appreciated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't know where to ask this, but how come the board always has so many issues?

Seems everytime I'm in the middle of a deal here, the board disappears for days on end. I never have that trouble with other boards like AtariAge which are always there everytime I go to them.

Really reduces the usefulness of making any deals when you can't depend on it to even be there when you visit.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Because it still uses phpBB. And as an update happened yesterday, I'm guessing all the script kiddies got out and tried to take down phpBB boards using the exploits that were fixed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have found that if you are in the UK or somewhere unheard of like that (i.e. not USA, which is this board's main userbase) then putting (UK) after the post helps greatly in getting attention.

(I am in the UK, so I'm not being rude fellow brits)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What should I do to my thread once I've found a buyer/trader?

Is it better to edit the post, edit the title, or just add an additional post saying the item is no longer available?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

If it's a single item post, you can ask to have the thread closed. If it's a multi item thread, then editting the info from the first post, and maybe posting at the bottom (as long as it is outside the "bump" period) to say "xxxx is gone" is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of the ideas are good, but no offense - there doesn't need to be so many rules.

Not sure why things need to be "over enforced."

I can understand why you would want to limit someone from posting ten different FS threads in the same afternoon. However, the occaisonal poster who makes two posts (because you can't possibly mention the subjects in that limited topic space) isn't allowed?

Sorry, I've been here for quite a while now, and don't recall there ever being such tight security for simple posts.

Just my two cents, but the mods should enforce what the forum members want, not just what they want.
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Well we're open to suggestions. No one's come and told us they want more leeway heh.

Personally looking at it since becoming a mod you realise just how people wanted to push things. It's become a lot better since we started to clamp down on violations. Everyone gets an equal shout by limiting things to two threads maximum and the bumping rules.

The rules are there because people would run riot (and used to) without them. That's why Berserker and myself came up with the revised set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, I respect your point of view.

However, I don't post very often in the B&S thread.

I posted two things yesterday.

One for an item I had to trade.

The other for some Neo mini marquees that I was looking to sell (or trade.)

According to your message, there shouldn't have been an issue.

However, one of the threads got locked.

Just seems ridiculous. I could see it if I was a violator of too many posts or something, but in my opinion - you should be allowed one FS thread, one FT thread, and one Wanted thread. That way, people don't have to read through 40 posts to get to the information they're looking for.

Again, just my opinion, but your rules are helpful against noobs who don't have a clue - and harmful to the long time DP folks who occasionally find time to post now and again.

Still just my two cents.

By the way - how's that GCN collection coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Well we're open to suggestions. No one's come and told us they want more leeway heh.

Personally looking at it since becoming a mod you realise just how people wanted to push things. It's become a lot better since we started to clamp down on violations. Everyone gets an equal shout by limiting things to two threads maximum and the bumping rules.

The rules are there because people would run riot (and used to) without them. That's why Berserker and myself came up with the revised set.
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Technically we don't even have to let you have a FS and a WTB thread, but the rules are vague enough to be interpreted either way. This also could allow for some variation from mod-to-mod as to what is acceptable, but generally the way I play it is:

-One FS and one WTB/WTTF
    -One FS and one FT
    -One WTB/WTTF and one FT
    -One FS/FT and one WTB/WTTF

All are acceptable to me personally. There should never be three threads, and if there are, I'm definitely locking one. Two WTB, FS, or FT threads, and I'm locking one. Notice how your situation, one FS/FT and one FT, isn't mentioned in the list above, as that technically counts as two FT threads. If I'd come across that, I would've locked one of them just as Kid Ice did.

We try to be as reasonable as possible, but it's more a situation of manpower versus volume as well as front page space. There are at least a few hundred new posts here every day, and somebody needs to read over all of them. Assuming we allowed it, if everyone who posts here kept three ongoing threads, tripling the volume of posts that are here already, I think this forum would suffer some kind of meltdown in terms of us 3 guys trying to moderate the place effectively. At that point I also think a good deal more people would start complaining about their threads being pushed off the front page too fast, etc...

So, either way you could go with it, there's going to be unhappy people. We're just doing it in the way that makes the most sense, considering the volume and the people we have to handle that.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

On top of what Berserker said, we are also having to check the threads for bump violations and that the stuff being sold is allowed (ie. no copies, no burns, no ROMs etc). More threads = more work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about a rule where questions about people's feedback should be kept to a PM?

Unless the person being questioned is an obvious scammer and needs to be confronted publicly, then a feedback inquiry directly in a thread looks more like a thread-crap (even if it isn't meant to be.) Someone like me is forced into Maoist self-criticism every time someone posts about a feedback blemish in my thread (and unjustly so, imho.)

I just think it falls under the "On topic" and "Sale Spoiling" rule (vaguely so, of course.)

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Update to rules, please read and digest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would it be an idea to split this forum in a couple of areas? There's so much stuff being sold/wanted, it's hard to keep track of it all, especially as day-old topics frequently sink to page 3 or the like.
    SEGA/SONY/NINTENDO/ATARI/MICROSOFT/OTHER, something like that?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a quick and maybe silly question. I recently posted a sale here and wish to do so again, but I was wondering if it is allowed to post it and label it like an auction. In other words, I wait for the highest bidder and close the sale at a certain time. Is that allowed here in DP?

First thing that might jump into mind is "Well, why don't you go to Ebay. DP is NOT Ebay." I tried selling some Dungeons and Dragons book collection a while back and my experience there sucked twinkies. The buyer (won the auction) kept teasing me with a payment until it dragged so long (1 month and a half) that I said forget it, not worth it. That and the fees..they confuse me. Anyone can help me with this question?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Yeah we've had auctions done here before. They're usually kind of fun too.