Thread: Arcade or Simulation Racer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default Arcade or Simulation Racer?

So what type of racer do you perfer? Arcade (PGR, Burnout 3) or Simualtion (GT4, Forza)?

Me - even though I was raised on Pole Position and Out Run, I perfer simualtions. IMO, sims have a little more depth than arcade racers. I also like my racing to feel like I'm controlling a real car. It adds more difficulty, which in turn, adds even more depth. Plus with arcade racers, all you do is race, unlock a new car, race again, unlock new car, add nauseum (except for the Burnout series. Crash mode rules.)... With sims you get to tinker with every little thing on your car. Even more gameplay there!

I just had to know what everyone thought.... My friend and I got into a 2 hour argument over this, this past weekend.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should have made this a poll. I go with arcade racers any day. My previous attempts to get into Sega GT and GT3 were dismal failures, mainly because I have zero interest in cars. However, I do love racing games. Mainly the F-Zero and Wipeout types, but also Ridge Racer and Need for Speed. But I'd rather get a bikini wax than change the oil in an imaginary car.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm all about the arcade racers. Outrun, Pole Position, Victory Run,Lotus, Ridge Racer. All of those types of games. Would the f-zero and mario kart games fit in with arcade racers or are they something else entirely? I've tried to play forza and gran turismo games and while they're very well done i'm just not interested enough in cars to care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of the racing games I own are arcade, but I do enjoy some stuff from the simulation side as well (my favorites there being the Gran Turismo and 4x4 Evolution games).

Some of my favorite arcade racers include Burnout 3, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, Need For Speed Underground 2, Rock N Roll Racing, Cruis'n USA, San Francisco Rush, the PlayStation Sled Storm, and Outrun.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Frankly I'm a whore for both genres. Though lately I've been playing more arcade racers since I'm pretty burned out on GT4/Enthusia/Forza from playing them so much.

Basically, if it's from Sega AM2, it's awesome. I'd have to say that Daytona USA and Outrun 2 SP are the two greatest arcade racers ever. Hands down. It's amazing that a game like Daytona, with only 3 courses and a single car, can have such incredible depth. You have to learn every inch of the course, and know how to take every single turn or you will get your ass handed to you. And it's not that the control is bad - quite the opposite in fact. But in order to push the car to its limits and excel at the game, you have to become very familiar with insanely delicate maneuvers. Outrun 2 is no different in this respect, but with the inclusion of 15 different tracks and about a dozen cars to choose from. In these kinds of games, it's just you versus your nerves, and shaving a mere quarter second off your best time is a HUGE improvement. There's just something compelling about the games that demand - and accommodate - absolute perfection in the racing line.

Go watch some of the time attack videos here:
    http://www.marubaku.com/index_e.html/ (Super Replay link)

Any game will do, but the Daytona 1 and 2 and Outrun 2 videos are the most impressive. They really show of some of that delicate perfection that doesn't seem to be quite as emphasized in most of the current sim racers.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

depends on my mood really, i love and put as many hours into Forza and GT1,2 as i did in NFSU2, Project Gotham 2 and R4.

the best console, hands down, for driving games is xbox, the controller is soooo perfect, and it already has 3 of the best racers ever (project gotham 2, forza, rallisport 2) not to mention it has the best version of all multiplatform racers.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, being a big car guy, regular autocrosser, etc..., I'd have to say the simulations, because for me, the purpose of driving games is to allow me to get as close to real performance driving as possible when real performance driving is not possible.

I think that's likely going to always be the deciding factor for this question. People who are into cars will always pick simulations, while other people will opt for arcade racers or none at all...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i like arcade racers better - BUT that does not stop me from playing a simulation- i kind of look at both of them the same way. Driving games. I dont belive simulations simulate anything. For me a simulation should impose some kind of G forces on your body so that you have a better idea of what the car is doing in order to control it. Since that is imposible no simulation is a simulator to me. Visual feedback is not enough to simulate a real driving experience. So they are all driving games to me - some are more fun and less anoying than others.

sometimes i rather play a driving game that is simpler and more fun. other times i like to customize and figure out the best car settings for my car to help me win races

at the moment my favorite "driving" games are outrun 2, sega GT, rallysport chalenge. i have not tried forza yet

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm only play Arcade racers, only exception is the original Need for Speed which I prefer over all other prts of the series. For the rest I only play arcade (style) racers like Daytona, WipeOut, F-Zero, Ridge Racer and so on.

Oh I liked the F-355 arcade game even though it was a simulator, but I think it was the fact that the machine had three screens which made me come back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

only arcade racers for me.i love games like outrun,sega rally,ridge racer,crusin usa,etc.i just never really have any fun playing the sim type racers.
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Simulations (Which the GT series isn't imo).

I'd much rather race something like Rally Trophy or Grand Prix Legends than Burnout, Grand Turismo, Speed Devils, or any other arcade racer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner
    People who are into cars will always pick simulations, while other people will opt for arcade racers or none at all...
    Spot on. I'm not into cars at all (I'd be content with a bicycle for the rest of my life), and as such I find no pleasure in the intricacies of realistic games such as GT3. I simply do not like to customize video game vehicles (I even hate choosing weapon types in shmups), and choosing between a hundred cars is a chore to me. I do know people who swear by those features, and I understand their point of view. They also happen to be car fanatics. I don't really like arcade racers either, although I do like futuristic/fantasy games like F-Zero X and Super Mario Kart. I don't like any kind of realistic games, as a matter of fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm kind of the counterexample to the archetype, then. I don't really give a damn about cars. Sure, I know enough about them to get by, but they're far from being an obsession. But damned if I don't eat up a game like Forza or Enthusia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arcade racers. I just find them alot more fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I like Sim racers. I never liked Racing games until GT1 came out. Midnight Club Dub Edition is cool though.