Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever find the pink tail in Final fantasy II?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

On SNES back in the 90s I know I took down the game around 7 times, and 2 of those I got it, and just the first one is when I really went for it. I don't remember how many fights, but I know I probably put an hour towards it, and as stated, it's not worthy of bothering with at all. The boost won't save you, it's minimal. I've always under level finished this game compared to what guides and people would say you should be against Zeromus/Zemus at the end. I tended to like to run through much of the dungeons and find save spots and just hunker down on/around them and raise levels as it was faster than the overworld. Usually in the game I'd stick near it, but made the choice to do the leveling over in that pink puff area and it eventually popped up. It wasn't so much of a harassment or annoyance as most things would be like that as I was just XP collecting to raise levels. But given the large walk/flight back, the added chit chat and things to get the mineral and that into armor is just a waste of time. Given the rarity it should have had some special abilities and some pretty much higher DEF rating and it didn't so I never actively tried for it again.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I think the super-rare item drops in FF4/FF2US permanently damaged my attitude towards RPGs. There's something just so gross, for want of a better word, about expecting people to fight the same battle over and over again for a tiny chance at getting a "special" item. It lays bare the RPG-as-Skinner-box, all of us just rats pushing a lever to get a payout.
    ..... "RPG-as-Skinner-box"? What's a skinner box?

I kind of agree though, and its worse with modern RPGs so I usually avoid them.

What I prefer honestly is games like Bard's Tale or Might and Magic where all the purchasable weapons are usually basic equipment but you find good stuff as part of the journey. It makes you feel good about even having something as simple as a Broad Sword +1 and feels like what would happen in a fantasy novel (I don't remember Frodo Baggins buying a set of Barrow Daggers from a shop for 500 gil apiece, do you?)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    ..... "RPG-as-Skinner-box"? What's a skinner box?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operan...ioning_chamber

Basically, it's a box designed to elicit repetitive behavior from animals, e.g. via a lever that an animal inside the box presses for a reward.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Not sure a behavioral theorist like BF Skinner is really applicable here... couldn't we work Vygotsky and Jung in as well?

Joking aside, my brother got the tail back in the day without much trouble. Must've been lucky.

Now, a discussion of Skinner's theoretical raising of a child in a box in order to purely express its behavioral nature absent of nurtured influence applied to the likes of, say, Wonder Project J or Princess Maker might be poignant.