Thread: Concept: PS2 covers in PSone cases...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Concept: PS2 covers in PSone cases...

Have you ever thought what PS2 games would have looked so much nicer if they had not been in Dvd shaped box's, but instead been put in PSone cases...

What PS2 game covers would have looked great with the PSone cover styling? (PAL or NTSC U - Black spine et al)

I think a lot of RPG games would have looked more classy had they not been PS2 games, and had been on the PS1 instead...

Anyone here good at PhotoShop? Anyone want to do a few mock up cover designs featuring PS2 game covers but in a PSone cover design???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the PS2 (dvd) cases look pretty slick if you've got a whole shelf of them lined up. I wasn't much of a fan of the PS1 cases though. They always seemed to break and crack and what-not. That thing in the middle would always be cracked off too.
    Although, as far as storing them goes, the PS1 cases would be alot easier due to their size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've always preferred jewel cases, and actually was talking about this in mIRC the other day. There's just something about holding a double jewel case with multiple discs that makes you feel like you're going to be into something huge. A single DVD just can't do that.

I provide example A and B.

Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    Ah, that Disgaea is exactly what I mean! That looks like a quality product, and looks like it should be very very rare...

Think along the lines of Panzer Dragoon Saga. You hold it and think to yourself "Mmm, this is a quality game" and it oozes rareness. Same goes for other games like Star Ocean II and sucklike.

You just don't get that same feeling holding a flimsy plastic Dvd style case, even if the game is something like Rez... (NTSC)

That shot of Disgaea looks like it should belong. It looks rare, and the style suits.

I like the PAL release of Unlimited Saga, as Square obviously took a lot of time in designing that gatefold digipak style cardboard sleeve. Very swish. At one point I hoped it would one day become like PDS, but alas it hasn't...

PAL spines look very sucky all lined up. They are no way as pretty as the American spines which have colour. Ours are just plain white. Booorrrrrriiinnnnnggggg...

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Actually that Disgaea case looks odd because the cover art cuts off too short.

I don't like jewel cases because they're fragile, but I also don't like the fact that dvd cases don't provide enough protection for the cover insert. It's so easy for that cover to slip out a bit and get damaged. I've even bought new games where the security sticker was caught on the insert and ripped it.

All in all I like dvd cases for their sexiness but jewel cases for their protection.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like others, I prefer jewel cases over DVD cases. DVD cases are big, clumsy, unattractive, and unnecessary. Does anyone know of a reason as to why DVDs (and later, games) were packaged in different cases? I mean, if people had been using jewel cases for years (CDs, CD-ROMs), why the change?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too like jewel cases better, but I am glad that at least everyone is using (almost) standard DVD cases now. They might all be made of different colors of plastic but they at least are uniform in size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I do miss the smaller size of the jewel cases, I vastly prefer the colored spines of the US PS2 cases to the all black PS1 cases. I've bought games before just because the spine was pretty. Specifically Fable, Dark Cloud, Drake and anything shiny. Regarding Drake, the spine is probably the best thing about the game.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    While I do miss the smaller size of the jewel cases, I vastly prefer the colored spines of the US PS2 cases to the all black PS1 cases. I've bought games before just because the spine was pretty. Specifically Fable, Dark Cloud, Drake and anything shiny. Regarding Drake, the spine is probably the best thing about the game.
    Heh, one of the reasons reason I like Japanese PS2 games is because of (semi)-uniformity amongst the spines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heh, I figured someone would point out the Disgaea chopped front. I did better on the back insert because I actually split it in two, then reattached the barcode area so it fit right.

What do you want for 10 minutes of photoshop?

I think this little debate will cause me to create a PS2 Jewel Case template for the Game Rave OPM Demo Cover Disc.

Hmm.

Jason

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate the way the cheap plastic warps sometimes on the dvd cases. Jewel cases all the way!!!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    What do you want for 10 minutes of photoshop?
    Well it does look nice, but that's kinda the problem when converting any tall cover art format to a squarish jewel case size. Goes for Sega CD games too. You either have to crop the art or squish it. Either way it's gonna look odd.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of the guys over at CAG were working on making custom game cover for both jewel and DVD cases. In one thread, they were doing cd case inserts for the ps2, xbox, and gamecube.http://tinyurl.com/a4cfp There hasn't been too much activity there lately, but there is some interesting work.

There is also another thread there dealing ps1 dvd covers. There's been more work done on that thread and there's plenty of templates. One of the guys there did some nice Castlevania: SOTN, FFVII, and Chrono Trigger covers.
    Here's two examplesof them. http://tinyurl.com/74m7q
    http://tinyurl.com/bfrcy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just to show the difference concerning the cropping:
    The Tales conversion has a back side that is completely redone from scratch, the Disgaea is made using only what's available on the insert.

http://www.game-rave.com/temp/index.html

Big difference ^_^