Thread: Whis is/are your favourite weapon/s in hack'n'slay RPGs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Whis is/are your favourite weapon/s in hack'n'slay RPGs?

Don't know if the name hack'n'slay RGP is an official therm but I mean games like Baldur's Gate and Champions Of Norrat, guess you all know them.

So which weapons do you like to use best? Sure, most of the time you pick the weapon that does the most damage to the enemies but there are differences. Fighting with a javeline is different than with a short sword and shield or than using bow and arrow. Or maybe you prefere to use magic as much as possible?

My favourite weapons are morning stars together with a shield. You can fight fast with that and protect yourself with the shield. And morning stars are also cool in real live. Besides morning stars I also like other one-handed weapons like swords and similar stuff. Two-handed blades are also nice and sometimes I like to use long staffs because you can perform nice special attacks with them. Bow and arrow is not really my thing, the game feels too much like a shooter when using them, also magic is not important for me.

A weapon I would like to see and use in a game is a nunchaku. As much as I remember I never saw one of those in the games I've played so far. I would really like a ninja type of character in the next Baldur's Gate or whatever game. That would be cool!
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite are the Necromancer wands in Diablo II: LoD. They were just sooo cool!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Missile weapons. Bows and arrows, or especially throwing knives. My playing style in those games is hit and run. Sure, I can charge in and thwack everything in melee if I want, but that gets boring after a while. Harrying enemies with missiles is more fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find I need a decent bow to get anywhere in games like Diablo, Champs of Norrath, etc. I also like to keep a sword/blade & shield, & tend to build up my slashing weapon skills over blunt weapon skills in games that allow it. I dont know why, but I prefer sharp weapons over clubs & other bashing weapons.

I rarely use 2-hand weapons like larger swords or battle axes. AFA magic goes, I tend to develop some spells but dont build them up much- I dont like making so many choices & I'd rather fight hand-to-hand.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    strayhellcat

For some bizzare reason I get super violent in games like Baldur's Gate and hack the hell out of everything I can get my character's hands on. I'm the total opposite in real life.

I just started playing Final Fantasy XI about a week ago, and after playing the Thief job class for a few levels I got really bored and chose Monk instead. Hitting people with your hands rocks!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bows. I love seeing low hp enemies get shredded by a volley of arrows in Icewind Dale. A party just isnt a party without at least 2 archers

While we're talking favourite weapons, there was one in Icewind Dale (a Halberd i think) called "The Lonesome Road". Maybe not the greatest stats, but with a name like that who cares!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Milk
    Missile weapons. Bows and arrows, or especially throwing knives. My playing style in those games is hit and run. Sure, I can charge in and thwack everything in melee if I want, but that gets boring after a while. Harrying enemies with missiles is more fun.
    This reminids me about playing Diablo on the PS1. That was exactly my strategy in the higher levels because this was the only chance for me to survive. Even if I think I've killed all the enemies in the first levels I wasn't leveled up enough to play in my usual "kill anything that moves"-style.
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Boomerangs or arrows for me. I like the fact of having a boomerang because you never have to worry about how many you've got left.

Insert Coin (Level 0) sharkbates's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like using magic most of the time, but when I get into melee I prefer a Mace or Morning Star. Something very satisfying about "hacking" monsters in the head, as oppossed to "slashing" them with a sword.

Also like Bows, as long as the arrows are enchanted.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I always go for the warrior type, so my weapon of choice is a sword, either a smaller sword with shield or, if my character's strong enough, a double-handed sword. I only use magic when I need to, and I never use bows and arrows.

Of course, this approach made facing the Butcher in Diablo a lot harder for me than it was for my best friend, whose character was a sorcerer.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like playing either a healer class w/ Shield/hammer or paladin class sword/shield.
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sway towards magic.

Ball lightning in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was the bomb-diggity, if not a little too pawerful.

Hell, in most cases you could just blindly launch one or two through a doorway then walk in to see all the dead bodies! You can earn it really early in the game and I only found 2-3 enemies immune to it.

You can have whatever sword you want. Can YOU wipe out a roomfull of baddies from across the hall?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bows and arrows for me, definitely!

Although if anybody ever played Arcanum... the chakras were awesome! My half-ogre could throw it like 8 times per turn hehe. Chakra = disc-shaped boomerang.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I play, I usually find the strongest one handed sword with a shield and get some type of fire or shock attack with it. But my favorite to use is a Morning Star with a shield.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Morningstar with shield for me, too. Backup with a bow and poison arrows.....and a basic fire spell if applicable.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Swords, always. 2-handed preferably.

Including when I play a mage.

Very poor idea...

I don't play mages much anymore.