Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Armored Core (PS2 Era)

I played a LOT of the first Armored Core game on the PSX, as well as a little Master of Arena and Project Phantasma, but ever since the PS2 launch, the only one I've played is Armored Core 2, and that one I purchased the Japanese version of (I bought the Japanese PS2 on its launch day - I used to be crazy like that).

I have fond memories of these games and want to get back into it. With CGE coming up, my "post-CGE vacation" is coming as well. So what can you tell me about these games? What makes each one unique? Which is your favorite? Are there any duds here?

Armored Core 2
    Armored Core 2: Another Age
    Armored Core 3
    Armored Core: Nexus
    Armored Core: Silent Line

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

You know. I was thinking about trying out one of the PS2 Armored core games. I had a demo and played one of the PS1 games.

Maybe I'll pick one up next time I go to EB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use to have the demo for the first one for the PSX. My brothers and I played the hell out of that demo but never bought it.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Silent line was FINALLY the one that allowed for full analog control. (when it should have been implemented eons ago) All of them are pretty fun (and very similar) so if you like 2, you'll like 3 and like 4 and so on and so on. It's very Dynasty Warriors in that sense.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up AC: PP (PS) at the GameCrazy $5 sale & loved it, & it prompted me to track down Armored Core 2 (PS2). Both games turned out to be quite challenging for me, so I got the respective strategy guides too, although I've yet to get back into them due to my "summer game break" (Splashdown, Summer Heat Volleyball & Tiger Woods '03).

Plus once I SWEAR I was playing AC: PP on the underground maze level & I was controlling my AC w/ the Dual sticks using a 3rd party controller & extension cable (if it matters). I distinctly remember bc I stopped playing to make sure it was really happening, as I knew about the D pad-only controls on the early games.

As I said, I found most of the early missions on AC2 pretty trying/frustrating...I just may scrap my progress & start over using the guide. Maybe I'm just getting too old...

Oh, & most reviews I've seen of the later ACs (Silent Line, Nexus) ask when Agetec/From will stop churning out these things.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I pretty much have all of the US AC games, and I've probably spent the most time with Armored Core 3 and Nexus...I haven't gotten anywhere close to finishing either, but I think Nexus would get my nod. Since it allows for dual analog control (Silent Line is supposedly a much harder expansion for AC3, so I haven't tried it yet), and is two discs with the second being a "best of" missions compilation, it might be a good choice.

Toys R Us has green tagged it, so it's dropping in price, too!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Thanks for the recommendations. I picked up 3 on eBay cheap and found Silent Line and Another Age at a local EB. The only one I haven't seen cheap is Nexus... looking forward to giving all of these a ride after CGE.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Nine Breaker is supposed to be coming out this month too, the 9th?

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by GobopopRevisited
    I think Nine Breaker is supposed to be coming out this month too, the 9th?
    8/24, actually. Just in time for Joe to get it after CGE.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default armored core

oh man, here's a series i have some fond memories of. i was big into armored core on the ps1, and carried through to the ps2 games, though after ac3 my interest just trailed off.

i prefer armored core 2 and the another age expansion myself. the first three ps1 ac games had a lot of variety but had the unfortunate habit of being very dominated by fast playstyles. light humanoids, especially with a moonlight, could carve up a heavier ac in seconds on account of the crazy speeds they could pull off.

the ac2 series became my favorite by far. i was initially weirded out by the change in speed, but i came to prefer the slower pace for making battles feel less arcadey. the balance of power between armor and speed felt much more fine-tuned to me, and the state of lightweights was such that a pilot really needed dodging skills to capitalize on the speed available before they could take out a heavy.

another age brought some needed tweaks (one that comes to mind is nerfing the very overpowered s/night laser rifle). the energy drain rates were increased some, making it harder to get extremely energy efficient designs without making use of good design and playing skill. i had a lightweight design in ac2 that used the v55 boosters and could stay aloft firing energy weapons for ridiculous amounts of time. it still worked in aa, but it was a lot fairer to play against. :P

armored core 3 just never really did it for me. i disliked the return to faster play (particularly with unbalanced parts like the hueso legs), i felt the inability to switch between overboosters and exceed orbits greatly limited variety for cores, and i felt that overall problems weren't being fixed. there's a definite bias towards humanoid leg parts, which sucks for me since i love quads and reverse joints and they never get nearly the same amount or quality of parts. in general a lot of parts are poorly thought out, and there's not as much effort put into making them useful as could be. not really what i expect out of a design team after the fifth iteration of a game. admittedly, a lot of my dislikes are personal and very nitpicky, but i can't say that's out of character after playing a series for several years.

i still love the old games, but i just can't muster too much interest in the series now. last i heard there was a crack to enable online play in armored core nexus, which is something the series has needed for a stronger american fanbase since day one.

if anyone wants to get play or design advice for the ac games, then http://www.armoredcore.org/forums/ is the place to go. people there have been posting on the board's half-dozen incarnations since 1997, and it most assuredly remains among the best ac communities on the net.

-sharc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Seems that the PSP version of Forumla Front was already released in Japan? Anyone have it/play it? I've been waiting for some news on that one ...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Seems that the PSP version of Forumla Front was already released in Japan? Anyone have it/play it? I've been waiting for some news on that one ...
    I haven't played formula Front But I do know the JP version Did not have Direct control of your AC you had to Program the AI to play for you.

From what I understand they are redoing it for the US market (hence the Delays) so that you can use your AC or Program the AI at your whim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Damion
    Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    I haven't played formula Front But I do know the JP version Did not have Direct control of your AC you had to Program the AI to play for you.

From what I understand they are redoing it for the US market (hence the Delays) so that you can use your AC or Program the AI at your whim.
    Hmmm, thanks for the info. Sounds like it's worth the delay then. I'm not looking for "Armored Core Acid" on the PSP.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Re: armored core

@sharc: that was a most concise and informative breakdown of the series. Meseta coming your way! Thanks.