Thread: Xbox Power Problem

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox Power Problem

Something weird's going on with my xbox...all of the sudden, when I plug in the power, it automatically turns on. Every time I turn the power off it almost immediately turns back on again. I don't know what could be causing the problem.....Is there something stupid I'm doing or does it sound busted? It is modded, but it's been so for almost a year with no problems at all. Any ideas?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, My Xbox has been doing this since a week after I got that new replacement cord in the mail. Another thing that is strange is that it now decides on turning on itself just out of the blue...Kinda freaked me out when it first began happening.

I don't know what the hell the problem is since my home Xbox isn't modded...but I now have to leave my console unplugged when I'm not using it.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing that confuses me is why it all of the sudden just randomly happened. It's the oldest form of xbox, when it was released which aren't supposed to have the cord problem. As far as I know it's not possible to get power cords for that system so I guess I'm SOL. Even though it powers up and is playable, it automatically shuts off after about 10 minutes...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Sounds like one of the power switch wires is loose. If i were you i'd open her up and try testing the wires. I'd give you a diagram pointing to them, but i don't have Bunnie's book with me right now.

I modded my power supply to have a remote switch and i noticed that some of the wires weren't attached very well. The guys over at Xbox-scene would probably be more helpful then us. They really know their shit.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

NOTE:...Both My Xboxes are Release Models (oldest forms of xbox) and Both needed the replacement plug-cords..(Replacement cords = the ones with the big power surge box on them)
    I'd check using your serial number at the Xbox website.
    Just adding:
    What happens to me with these Replacement cords..Is they both pop off when I'm not playing either system..So I must be having power surges...
    So I just leave them off,or unplugged...If the power surge switch on them has popped I just reset it,I can play either system for hours and they won't pop/turn off.
    I hate these stupid things but they must be saving something..I have opened one Xbox and find nothing wrong/loose in the solder spots where the AC wire comes in..

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have the "first release" Xbox's that needed the new cord. Mines also began just suddenly and the system was never tampered with or even moved honestly. The only problem that differs from mine and yours Hellvin is the fact yours shuts off on it's own. Other than that, the problems are near identical.

I'm not even going to bother spending another dime on this system...I have already replaced the DVD-Rom drive and spending more money on a power supply isn't even worth it to me...Especially with the X360 around the corner. I just hope it doesn't suffer from the same problems that inflicted the original Xbox.