Thread: The only fighting game I've ever liked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The only fighting game I've ever liked

For some reason, I just can't get into fighting games. I've tried a ton of them (usually at friends' bequests) but the only one I've ever gotten interested in is Soulcalibur!

Something about it just tickles me the right way hehe. And I get excited when I see trailers like this:

Soulcalibur III trailer

I'm just sad that it's ONLY on PS2 this time, but I've heard that they're just focusing on PS2 now so they can come out sorta quickly with another soulcalibur game on all three next-gen systems.

Anybody else heard that?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the way that the Cube version of SCII sold the most, so they ignore that system for SCIII. I mean, if Link was in Soul Calibur 3 it wouldn't have the same effect, but it getting such good press for the cube allowed alot of Nintendo fans to get into Cali.

Alot like the whole Burnout was selling really well for the cube, but we got screwed over with 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I'm sort of in the same boat. Soul Calibur is the only fighter - other than Karate Champ - that I've ever really liked. First time I played it on the DC I was just floored by the thing. Since I have a PS2 the exclusivity thing doesn't bother me much. I'm not saying it's a great idea, just that it's no skin off of my nose.

Mmm...Character creation....my 7-year-old son is gonna have a field day with that.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I'm with you on both counts: fighters don't do much for me, and the only one I've ever really enjoyed is Soul Calibur (the original on DC, and the sequel on GC).

If SC3 is PS2 only then it won't matter, 'cause I wouldn't be buying it on any console at this point. A next gen SC has my interest though...
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also enjoyed SC on Dreamcast. And while I haven't picked up any version of SCII, I also enjoy Virtua Fighter games. I think that I just prefer 3D fighting games to 2D fighting games. Interesting to hear that they're going to squeeze out one more SC this generation. And why not? Can you say "cash cow"?

Just hope that they don't jump the shark somehow. There were a lot of people who didn't like VF3tb.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McBacon
    I like the way that the Cube version of SCII sold the most, so they ignore that system for SCIII. I mean, if Link was in Soul Calibur 3 it wouldn't have the same effect, but it getting such good press for the cube allowed alot of Nintendo fans to get into Cali.

Alot like the whole Burnout was selling really well for the cube, but we got screwed over with 2.
    I find that VERY hard to believe. I'm pretty certain that the PS2 version sold the best, because more people have PS2 (duh).
    But yeah, I'm looking forword to it as well. Looks perrrrty.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Holy damn freaking awesome. This is shaping up to be somehow even more bitching than SC2... and I was playing SC2 just yesterday!

This Chronicles of the Sword mode could be enough to keep one addicted for ages and hours... if this were to be released before Christmas '05, it would consume pretty much all of my Christmas vacation. Heh... oh, and my boy Voldo returns to slice even more flesh, so that's awesome too. Don't disappoint me, Namco! You often haven't.

Oh, and hate to digress the topic a bit, but...

Just hope that they don't jump the shark somehow. There were a lot of people who didn't like VF3tb.
    That MIGHT explain why I didn't like it much when I rented it. Unfortunately, it was the only VF game I ever played. :/
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soul Calibur is one of my favorite Dreamcast games. I've clocked a seemingly infinite amount of time with that game (solo for training, multiplayer for whoopin' mah friends’ butts!). Soul Calibur II didn't disappoint, but it certainly wasn't as good as the original (but playing as Link almost made up for its shortcomings). I hope that SCIII will bring something new to the series (something more than character creation).

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own Soul Calibur 2 for Cube at this moment. The first game was far better because the action was a bit less frenzied, meaning that you could strategize. SC2 was made into a bit more of a button masher. You have to play ridiculously fast, which I hate in a fighter. It's tolerable because of the depth of the overall package.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've liked soul edge, errr. I mean, calibur since it came out in the arcade. I like each new release less and less though. It's too complicated now. Each char in SC 2 had what, 30 moves each?
    Soul Edge in the arcade, each character had like 3-4 moves/combos. Everything else you had to win with by PLAYING it. If I wanted to memorize 50 combo's to win, I'd play tekken.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really liked soul Caliber for the dreamcast, but definitly have to say I like SC2 for the gamecube that was great alot of fun especially with link.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars