Thread: GBASP Problems Charging and Staying powered on.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Default GBASP Problems Charging and Staying powered on.

Ok I have three GBASP's All three have trouble charging Thanks to my daughter who is only a year and half sucking on the ends of the Chargers.

My sons not knowing any better would use them anyways causing what looks like corrosion (Bluish Green in Color) on the Gameboys Charging receptacle and the Chargers Ends.

I have scraped at them Lightly with a Sewing needle and used rubbing alcohol to try and take some of it off which it did a little. but they still refuse to charge without constant adjustment Or creative placement. anyone have any Ideas?

Also one has stopped trying to recharge all together. Even when I use (the not recommened) Nintendo DS Charger. Which helps on the other gameboys but seems to have lost all effect on this one.

also has anyone sent in a GBASP to Nintendo to be fixed? if so how much did it run? If I can't get these fixed myself and if the price to get them fixed by nintendo or third party goes to close to the cost of new ones then I'll just buy new ones.

any help or recommendations would be very helpful. Thanks for reading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

the not recommended ds charger?
    when was it not recommended?
    use it anyway, its fine.

you need to get a flat jewelers screwdriver small enough to scrape the surface off the contacts.. they come in sets for like $1

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If scraping doesn't do the trick, then maybe you could pop a new charging port in yourself. Are you handy with a soldering iron? Since non-SP GBAs are getting to be pretty cheap, maybe you could pick one up and swap out the charger ports. I say "maybe" because I don't know if they are actually interchangeable between GBA and GBA SP units. Or maybe you could find someone with a dead GBA SP from which you could scavenge parts.

As far as official repairs go, check this link:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...e_sp/index.jsp

In particular, you probably want the "repair" link on that page. Some pertinent facts I found while browsing there--

Warranty coverage lasts one year, although corrosion induced by baby suckage may be considered "physical damage" that would not be covered or would only be partially covered by warranty. If you're within the warranty period but but have a physical damage issue, then call 1-800-255-3700 to discuss the problem with a customer service representative. Repairs after the warranty period is over are listed at $55.00.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Let me say thanks to both or you

I'll certainly be fleashing out my options.

Quote Originally Posted by phreak97
    the not recommended ds charger?
    when was it not recommended?
    use it anyway, its fine.

you need to get a flat jewelers screwdriver small enough to scrape the surface off the contacts.. they come in sets for like $1

The only reason I say it's not recommended. Because after a few chargings with the DS on the RED one I mentioned earler. It started to have this problem. So The only thing I can peice together is that either baby Suckage has Destroyed it which it was still charging at that point oooorrr The DS charger has done something Like overcharge the Battery to the point that it well not charge anymore.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damion
    oooorrr The DS charger has done something Like overcharge the Battery to the point that it well not charge anymore.
    I think that that would be unlikely. I'm pretty sure that the circuitry controlling the charge state of the battery is located inside the SP. I believe that the charging cord simply supplies power at the correct voltage, and the circuitry inside the SP decides when to stop drawing power from the cord.
    (\ /)
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    If scraping doesn't do the trick, then maybe you could pop a new charging port in yourself. Are you handy with a soldering iron? Since non-SP GBAs are getting to be pretty cheap, maybe you could pick one up and swap out the charger ports. I say "maybe" because I don't know if they are actually interchangeable between GBA and GBA SP units.
    Since when do standard GBA's have charging ports? A standard GBA runs on a pair of AA batteries, not an internal Li-ion cel like the GBA SP. They both have extension ports (game link, eReader, etc.) not charging ports.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    If scraping doesn't do the trick, then maybe you could pop a new charging port in yourself. Are you handy with a soldering iron? Since non-SP GBAs are getting to be pretty cheap, maybe you could pick one up and swap out the charger ports. I say "maybe" because I don't know if they are actually interchangeable between GBA and GBA SP units.
    Since when do standard GBA's have charging ports? A standard GBA runs on a pair of AA batteries, not an internal Li-ion cel like the GBA SP. They both have extension ports (game link, eReader, etc.) not charging ports.
    Thank you for pointing out my complete and total brain failure!

This points out that it's been quite a while since I've actually used my standard (but Afterburned) GBA. The poor thing...
    (\ /)
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought the charging cords for the DS and SP were identical?