Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N-GAGE 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default N-GAGE 2

According to the August issue of Gamepro Nokia is readying the N-Gage 2. It's mentioned on page 26. Anybody hear about this? I wonder if it's true. If this info is 100% accurate i'm shocked.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

UPDATE:

Check out the link for what may be the NG2. Looks pretty cool to me. http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000650043915/
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: N-GAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    According to the August issue of Gamepro Nokia is readying the N-Gage 2. It's mentioned on page 26. Anybody hear about this? I wonder if it's true. If this info is 100% accurate i'm shocked.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I think they are still thinking of cellphone earnings instead of portable game earnings. So if the ngage earns more money than their cell phones then I can see this happening.

SPECS: NGAGE 2 = PSP

* OMAP Full Compatibility
    * 90-nm CMOS System-on-a-Chip OMAP2420
    * 330-MHz Central Core with Floating Point Unit ARM1136JS-F
    * 220-MHz Digital Signal Processor for Audio TMS320C55x
    * Video Playback and Image Display Imaging Video Accelerator
    * VGA 30-fps Encode/Decode Full-Motion Video
    * 2D/3D Graphics Accelerator with SIMD Co-Processor PowerVR MBX with VGP
    * TBDR (Tile Based Deferred Rendering)
    * 200Mhz clock speed
    * 640x480 VGA Resolution
    * 360Mpixels, 2xOverdraw = 720Mpixels, 3xOverdraw = 1.08Gpixels
    * ITC™ - PowerVR Internal True Colour - 32-Bit Blending and Depth Test Precision Independent from Buffer Depth
    * FSAA4Free™ - Supersampling Full-Screen Anti-Aliasing With No Performance Lose
    * DOT3 Per-Pixel Lighting Support
    * Spherical Harmonics Lighting Support
    * Bilinear, Trilinear, Anisotropic Texture Filtering Support
    * Vertex Shader 1.1 Programmability with Skinning
    * Curved Surface Processing with Fractional Tessellation and Support for Differing Levels-of-Detail on Neighboring Patch Edges
    * PVR-TC (PowerVR Texture Compression)
    * Multi-Texturing
    * Fully Programmable 3D T&L (Transform & Lighting)
    * Over 2.5M-tri/sec
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"This time it's not like talking into the side of a taco - we swear"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

why are they doing this.. Wasnt ngage a flop?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It may have been somewhat of a flop, but youve really gotta admire nokias determination to get the N-Gage brand afloat. A silver version of the N-Gage QD should be out pretty soon also.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow that thing looks amazing. they better make it, ill be the first one in line to buy it, i dont even care the price.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this is good news, hopefuly the ngage qd will come down in price, and then I can finaly collect for this system as it has some games I really wanna tryout.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default It is kind of like Microsoft in a way

I think that Nokia is in a way taking the Microsoft approach, although I know that they are two completely different companies. Nokia has probably made a shitload off the cell phone business. The N Gage was probably a test market attempt. Yes it failed very very bad, but overall, I think that even the most harsh critics could see what Nokia was TRYING to do. I too, give them credit for still standing behind such a failed product and attempting to release a couple of games. The N Gage 2 has the chance of stealing some market of the portable gaming. They are definately in it for the long haul. If Nokia could come up with a decent non taco cell phone that could also play decent console friendly games, then they could be on to something...that doesnt suck!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nokia is the sleeping giant in the handheld market. their current plans to expand the N-Gage line to all Nokia Smartphones will expand their users from 1.5 million to 25 million. now those are numbers that Sony only dreams about. It seems their new plan is to have N-Gage games availble across a large line of Nokia phones and then have a N-Gage model that has a more video game designed layout.

Nokia seem very determined to get into the mobile gaming market since I'm sure they're not making any money with the current N-Gage.

I look forward to the N-Gage 2 but only being able to download games is going to kill the collector inside me.

BTW those images have been out since E3 but I'm not surprised that nobody noticed untill now. For people who missed Nokia's E3 coverage:

http://web.n-gage.com/e3/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm waiting for RIFS to get released before I think about getting an N-Gage. Or until I need a new cell.

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For years Nokia has been sitting on large piles of money. They are constantly looking for investment opportunities and like Microsoft and the Xbox know that their initial product may need to serve as a loss leader in order to drum up future interest. You need to start somewhere after all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribal Deity
    For years Nokia has been sitting on large piles of money. They are constantly looking for investment opportunities and like Microsoft and the Xbox know that their initial product may need to serve as a loss leader in order to drum up future interest. You need to start somewhere after all.
    True, but there's a huge difference between N-Gage and Xbox. Xbox has been gaining mindshare and praise in the industry and gaming public. N-Gage has never been looked at as serious competition. I'm not sure I want an N-Gage even when it drops to a super low price.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    this is good news, hopefuly the ngage qd will come down in price, and then I can finaly collect for this system as it has some games I really wanna tryout.
    From Nokia's site, with a standard service contract with T-Mobile, they paid me $50 to take the Ngage. -$50 is definitely the cheapest game system I've ever owned. Plus my company pays my cell bill every month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the dech demo is pretty nice...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking about this topic again and I thought of other systems that failed and just gave up (3D0 and the M2 come to mind along with NEC and the Turbo Grafx stuff and of course Sega).

Is Nokia ever willing to quite? It seems crazy that a company is willing to support a system that has only sold at most 1.5 million units all the way through to the end of 2006 (at least thats what they say). Nokia of course has crazy amounts of money to spend on trial and error which I don't think most companies have had except maybe Microsoft.

Sometimes I just don't get it because the video game industry is so competitve and the portable market continues to get crowded why do they even try? Is the upside that great do they expect to completly take over? I actually think they do.

At any rate if this N-Gage 2 ever gets released (and I hope it does) it has to be one of the biggest suprise succesors in the history of vidoe games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have hope. Say what you will about the NGage on launch, but Nokia really seems to listen to the criticisms leveled against it and has taken steps to rectify weaknesses in the system. I really do love the NGage now that they finally got their act together and I'm confident that a next generation NGage could be successful. Sadly, if it goes download only, I won't be following.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    Sometimes I just don't get it because the video game industry is so competitve and the portable market continues to get crowded why do they even try? Is the upside that great do they expect to completly take over? I actually think they do.
    classib: Do you use your QD as your cell? I do. It's a completely capable cell that gets awesome battery life and reception. The simple fact that it gets taken everywhere has completely destroyed my need to carry any other portable with me. The sad part is I don't play anything but classic GameBoy games on it though. Super Goboy was totally worth the $6-ish I spent on it. I actually hate having to carry around the game cards so I stopped doing it. A 512MB MMC card is all I need.

As someone else said, Nokia really seems to be listening to their very small group of N-Gage fanboys. The QD wasn't perfect but it was a huge improvement over the original. I am totally looking foward to the next N-Gage and will buy it the moment it arrives. The lack of collectabilty (i.e. downloads only) might hurt the system in some people's eyes, but I actually use this device everyday and the less I have to carry around to enjoy it, the better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

whoa wait first of all I am one of the few N-Gage fanboys. I have every US released game so far. I'm surprised at Nokia in a good way. I think they are sitting on a good thing but then I thought Sega was too with the Dreamcast and they gave up on that.

I was just saying it seem crazy given past companies actions that they keep suporting it. I'm all for them supporting it since its one of my favorite handhelds if not my favorite.

Oh and I do use the N-Gage as my cell phone and also have a 512mb card with all kinds of goodies on it. I think its "the" portable system and even though I'm surprised I'm glad Nokia is sticking with it. I know most companies wouldn't.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    whoa wait first of all I am one of the few N-Gage fanboys.
    Eh, that came out wrong. I knew all that. I remember when you had that pic in your sig that showed you playing your QD. I was just wondering if you used your QD as your cell. The rest of the rant wasn't directed at you at all.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I think I'm the only person on the face of the Earth that actually uses the original N-Taco as their cell phone. Seriously.

It's a much better phone than the QD is, IMO.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.