Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: N-GAGE 2

  1. #21
    Pac-Man (Level 10) PDorr3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2,988
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    At any rate if this N-Gage 2 ever gets released (and I hope it does) it has to be one of the biggest suprise succesors in the history of vidoe games.
    This indeed will be a huge suprise, its kind of like if a Game.com2 came out.

    Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

  2. #22
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Cmosfm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,184
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I really wish Nokia would stop trying so hard, nothing they do will revive the N-Gage, the name is stuck in people's heads as "failure" and "worthless".

    I still want a cheap N Gage, Nokia, stop pushing this shit so I can get me a 20.00 Taco gawdammit!

  3. #23
    Banana (Level 7) classicb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Masaya, Nicaragua
    Posts
    1,579
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poopnes
    Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    whoa wait first of all I am one of the few N-Gage fanboys.
    Eh, that came out wrong. I knew all that. I remember when you had that pic in your sig that showed you playing your QD. I was just wondering if you used your QD as your cell. The rest of the rant wasn't directed at you at all.
    oh ok I thought you were trying to sell me on how great the N-Gage is.

    I'll also say though the one thing I don't like about using it as my cell phone is I'm a little harder on my cell phones than my portables. My QD has been through some shit I'm happy its still in one piece. I'd like to pick up a Taco version and another QD someday just for the collection since mine is kind of beat to hell. Still very impressed with the durabilty of this thing.

  4. #24
    Banana (Level 7) classicb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Masaya, Nicaragua
    Posts
    1,579
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    I really wish Nokia would stop trying so hard, nothing they do will revive the N-Gage, the name is stuck in people's heads as "failure" and "worthless".

    I still want a cheap N Gage, Nokia, stop pushing this shit so I can get me a 20.00 Taco gawdammit!
    that's kind of interesting since I do think the name has a bad reputation. I wonder if Nokia will rename it the second time around.

    I'd like a $20 Taco too.

  5. #25
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    575
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Vampent needs to get their GBA emulator up to shape for the N-Gage 2:
    http://www.vampent.com/emu.htm

    The current version is very rough around the edges. Another bug that bugs me about Vampents GB/GBC emulator is that if you play with sound enabled and you accept an incoming call, the emulator will crash. poopnes, does Super GoBoy have the same bug? I might have to switch over to Super GoBoy, unless Vampent fixes the bag ASAP. It is simply unacceptable to lose all of your progress in a game because you get an incoming call.

  6. #26
    Peach (Level 3) Slimedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    666
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    I really wish Nokia would stop trying so hard, nothing they do will revive the N-Gage, the name is stuck in people's heads as "failure" and "worthless".

    I still want a cheap N Gage, Nokia, stop pushing this shit so I can get me a 20.00 Taco gawdammit!
    that's kind of interesting since I do think the name has a bad reputation. I wonder if Nokia will rename it the second time around.

    I'd like a $20 Taco too.
    I would actually be surprised if Nokia didn't change the name for the next one. That would help shake the stigma of the early days of the NGage. Any diehard fans they have earned since then would be savy enough to figure out what the next ngage is without it having the name "NGage". Numbering systems is a fairly recent convention so I don't think it would throw anybody who cared.

    But I shudder to think of what their marketing department would come up with for a followup name. Maybe "Nokia EXTREME FREESTYLE UNLEASHED!!!"

  7. #27
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    410
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    Vampent needs to get their GBA emulator up to shape for the N-Gage 2:
    http://www.vampent.com/emu.htm

    The current version is very rough around the edges. Another bug that bugs me about Vampents GB/GBC emulator is that if you play with sound enabled and you accept an incoming call, the emulator will crash. poopnes, does Super GoBoy have the same bug? I might have to switch over to Super GoBoy, unless Vampent fixes the bag ASAP. It is simply unacceptable to lose all of your progress in a game because you get an incoming call.
    I was planning on doing a full write-up and review of Super GoBoy and posting it here on DP, but I just haven't got around to it. Maybe someday. I have not used Vampent's GBX emu at all. I actually totally forgot they had one. So I can't really compare the two. I can say that Super GoBoy is not without its faults, but I am not disappointed in the $6 I spent on it. I've only had it crash once--and it crashed the whole phone (restarted itself). I think the unit just ran out of memory (a lot of stuff was running in the background). It does have issues with the sound where I'll get a "Media Server Error" message and then the phone will not play any sounds besides ringtones and message alert tones (this usually happens when I'm switching between programs alot). SGB does not like you to hit the end call button. The program will still run fine but when you go back to to it it only registers one button press at time, i.e. you can't run and jump or move a block while rotating it. It seems to be fine if you hit the menu button though, but I'm so used to hitting the end call button that I always forget. There are save states and an autosave when you exit the game, but it does handle battery backup. Also trying to play a GBC ONLY game is rough--very slow. GBC games that are backwards compatible are decent. I really should do a write-up on it because I have a lot more to say about it and found very little information on it before I bought it. It has its faults but it's a very stable decent emulator. I've spent a lot of time playing Warioland 2, Tetris DX, Final Fantasy Adventure, and Dr. Mario. All 4 are extremely playable. OK I've wrote enough. =)

  8. #28
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    410
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    Vampent needs to get their GBA emulator up to shape for the N-Gage 2:
    http://www.vampent.com/emu.htm

    The current version is very rough around the edges. Another bug that bugs me about Vampents GB/GBC emulator is that if you play with sound enabled and you accept an incoming call, the emulator will crash. poopnes, does Super GoBoy have the same bug? I might have to switch over to Super GoBoy, unless Vampent fixes the bag ASAP. It is simply unacceptable to lose all of your progress in a game because you get an incoming call.
    I was planning on doing a full write-up and review of Super GoBoy and posting it here on DP, but I just haven't got around to it. Maybe someday. I have not used Vampent's GBX emu at all. I actually totally forgot they had one. So I can't really compare the two. I can say that Super GoBoy is not without its faults, but I am not disappointed in the $6 I spent on it. I've only had it crash once--and it crashed the whole phone (restarted itself). I think the unit just ran out of memory (a lot of stuff was running in the background). It does have issues with the sound where I'll get a "Media Server Error" message and then the phone will not play any sounds besides ringtones and message alert tones (this usually happens when I'm switching between programs alot). SGB does not like you to hit the end call button. The program will still run fine but when you go back to to it it only registers one button press at time, i.e. you can't run and jump or move a block while rotating it. It seems to be fine if you hit the menu button though, but I'm so used to hitting the end call button that I always forget. There are save states and an autosave when you exit the game, but it does handle battery backup. Also trying to play a GBC ONLY game is rough--very slow. GBC games that are backwards compatible are decent. I really should do a write-up on it because I have a lot more to say about it and found very little information on it before I bought it. It has its faults but it's a very stable decent emulator. I've spent a lot of time playing Warioland 2, Tetris DX, Final Fantasy Adventure, and Dr. Mario. All 4 are extremely playable. OK I've wrote enough. =)

  9. #29
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    575
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    It sounds like Super GoBoy is allot slower than Vampent's GBX emulator. GBC games run at full speed on my N-Gage QD. There are 3 made comlpaints I have about Vampent's emulator:
    1. ROM browser can't quickly cycle through hundreds of games
    2. crashes when accepting an incoming call and emu sound is enabled
    3. sound emulation is slightly off tune in some games

  10. #30
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    410
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    It sounds like Super GoBoy is allot slower than Vampent's GBX emulator. GBC games run at full speed on my N-Gage QD. There are 3 made comlpaints I have about Vampent's emulator:
    1. ROM browser can't quickly cycle through hundreds of games
    2. crashes when accepting an incoming call and emu sound is enabled
    3. sound emulation is slightly off tune in some games
    Tried out the Demo of vBoy last night when I was at work. It was like night and day. vBoy is 100x better than Super GoBoy. The speed is amazing. The sound is better. Just, wow. I really thought that SGB was great for the simple fact that it was a capable GBX emu on my little 'ol QD, but vBoy just blows it out of the water. But man I don't want to have to spend another $10 on an emulator. I broke my vow of never paying for a product that's basically made for piracy when I bought SGB and here I am wanting to do it again. I must resist!

  11. #31
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    575
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poopnes

    Tried out the Demo of vBoy last night when I was at work. It was like night and day. vBoy is 100x better than Super GoBoy. The speed is amazing. The sound is better. Just, wow. I really thought that SGB was great for the simple fact that it was a capable GBX emu on my little 'ol QD, but vBoy just blows it out of the water. But man I don't want to have to spend another $10 on an emulator. I broke my vow of never paying for a product that's basically made for piracy when I bought SGB and here I am wanting to do it again. I must resist!
    It sure does make an N-Gage worth owning, doesn't it? The entire GB, SGB, and GBC library is quite large and filled with great games. Make sure to make a post at the vBoy forums asking to have the "crash on call when sound is enabled" bug fixed. If it was fixed, I'd be a happy camper. I've bugged them about it already, but they haven't released a fix yet. They have 3 emulators, which they try to update 1 of the 3, once a month. So it cycles, vNES, vBoy, and vSun. So it will be a long time before they get back to updating vBoy. I just want to make sure that they fix the bug when vBoys next update comes.

    By the way, I wouldn't bother with vNES or vSun. The NES and SNES have great games, but their resolutions don't fit the N-Gage's small screen and they also run really slow. The Gameboy's resolution is strictly smaller than the N-Gage's, so the screen fits perfectly, with room leftover for custom borders (I just disable the border). Also, the Gameboy is easy enough to emulate at roughly full speed.

  12. #32
    ServBot (Level 11) Jumpman Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,785
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Those pictures of it make it look very nice. Espessially the image on the screen. However, I'm not sure why everybody (not just with video games, but with everything) is trying to make everything so small.
    This thing looks ridiculously tiny... doesn't it?

  13. #33
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    575
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    Those pictures of it make it look very nice. Espessially the image on the screen. However, I'm not sure why everybody (not just with video games, but with everything) is trying to make everything so small.
    This thing looks ridiculously tiny... doesn't it?
    It needs to be small enough and lightweight enough to comfortably be kept in your pocket at all times. Of course, this does make it difficult to be able to hold it while playing games. The PSP and DS are the antithesis of this. They are big, heavy, and not comfortable to have on your person at all times. This ruins their ability to be used as portable gaming devices, as at their size, they might as well be the size of a laptop, since they don't fit in a pocket.

    The Gameboy Micro looks like it might even fit in your little change pocket that is in your right pants pocket. Now that would be nice! You could have it with you and forget you had it in your pocket

  14. #34
    Kirby (Level 13) zektor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Classic Jersey
    Posts
    5,394
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I'm surprised at how many people think the N-Gage is a flop. Flop for who? Nokia or YOU? Don't even think that way until you try it yourself. I really like the unit honestly. It can do so many things (other than of course being your cell phone) like play movies, music, emulate a few classic game systems, and so forth. Not to mention the fact that it is (in my opinion) the most portable game system out right now. The QD is small, built very well, has a great screen, and does so much. Gamestop sells a pre-paid version of the Qd for $99 now. You just can't beat that.

    If a new N-Gage emerges, I will be one of those first in line for it, regardless of the cost. And that is saying alot as I am the one that is almost always broke!

  15. #35
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    575
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    I'm surprised at how many people think the N-Gage is a flop. Flop for who? Nokia or YOU?
    Nokia should have put more effort into developing and promoting Gameboy emulation. The N-Gage should have been compatible with the GB, SGB, GBC, and GBA games. Then people would realize the value of the device. However, N-Gage specific games suck and are few and far between. I am still waiting on the Rifts game, as it looks like it will actually be worth owning.

  16. #36
    Peach (Level 3) Slimedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    666
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    I'm surprised at how many people think the N-Gage is a flop. Flop for who? Nokia or YOU?
    Nokia should have put more effort into developing and promoting Gameboy emulation. The N-Gage should have been compatible with the GB, SGB, GBC, and GBA games. Then people would realize the value of the device. However, N-Gage specific games suck and are few and far between. I am still waiting on the Rifts game, as it looks like it will actually be worth owning.
    First off, promoting Gameboy emulation on your system would be ILLEAGLE. Making it compatible with Gameboy would have just made it a Gameboy phone. If Nintendo thought that would have made any money, they would have done that years ago. It also tends to go against Nintendo's philosophy of making dedicated game machines. Licensing Gameboy technology is something that Nintendo would probably not allow since they make all their own hardware. Even if they did, the fees involved in the licensing would pretty much wipe out any profits generated from shifting a few extra units.

    The reason the NGage exists is that Nokia thought there was a market for mobile games online. This is a market that Gameboy is certainly not aimed at. Whether that market exists or can be tapped by the current generation of technology is a matter of debate.

  17. #37
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    575
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    First off, promoting Gameboy emulation on your system would be ILLEAGLE.
    Why would it be illegal? Is making an IBM compatible PC illegal? You don't know what you are talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    Making it compatible with Gameboy would have just made it a Gameboy phone. If Nintendo thought that would have made any money, they would have done that years ago. It also tends to go against Nintendo's philosophy of making dedicated game machines.
    So you argue that if it would have made money Nintendo would have done it already, but then you argue that Nintendo really wouldn't want to do such a thing? You contradict yourself in two sentences. The truth is that you can't just enter the mobile phone industry at the drop of a hat. It isn't that easy, and Nintendo knows nothing about making mobile phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    Licensing Gameboy technology is something that Nintendo would probably not allow since they make all their own hardware. Even if they did, the fees involved in the licensing would pretty much wipe out any profits generated from shifting a few extra units.
    Why would Gameboy technology need to be licensed? People have reverse engineered plenty of information to be able to write highly compatible Gameboy emulators... and they have been doing this for years!



    Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    The reason the NGage exists is that Nokia thought there was a market for mobile games online. This is a market that Gameboy is certainly not aimed at. Whether that market exists or can be tapped by the current generation of technology is a matter of debate.
    Vampent's vBoy emulator, which emulates the Gameboy and Gameboy Color is proof that the current N-Gage is more than capable of emulating Gameboy games. GBA emulation, however, cannot be done at a satisfactory speed on the current N-Gage, but the N-Gage 2 is more than powerful enough to run GBA games at full speed via software based emulation.

    Making your company's product compatible with other people's software is not illegal and it is a good idea, as demonstrated by the "IBM compatible" PC market.

  18. #38
    Banana (Level 7) classicb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Masaya, Nicaragua
    Posts
    1,579
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    Making your company's product compatible with other people's software is not illegal and it is a good idea, as demonstrated by the "IBM compatible" PC market.
    I think a better comparison would be people who make bongs and pipes to smoke weed which are legal but the weed is not.

    and if you think for a second that Nintendo would be ok with this you've been hitting the bong too hard.

  19. #39
    Great Puma (Level 12) slapdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Arlington Hts IL USA
    Posts
    4,051
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    First off, promoting Gameboy emulation on your system would be ILLEAGLE.
    Why would it be illegal? Is making an IBM compatible PC illegal? You don't know what you are talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    Licensing Gameboy technology is something that Nintendo would probably not allow since they make all their own hardware. Even if they did, the fees involved in the licensing would pretty much wipe out any profits generated from shifting a few extra units.
    Why would Gameboy technology need to be licensed? People have reverse engineered plenty of information to be able to write highly compatible Gameboy emulators... and they have been doing this for years!
    The problem is that the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and some court cases, reverse engineering is becoming more dangerous. Now, a hobbyist can get away with it because they can stay under the radar, and Nintendo couldn't prove that there'd be much financial damage. But a company like Nokia? You'd better believe that Nintendo would be all over them. It's borderline illegal these days, and I'm not sure which way a judge would swing on it -- ten years ago or more it would have been easy to get away with it as long as you'd done the reverse engineering "properly" (yes, there's an actual "science", of sorts, to it.

    And even if they won in court, it would cost them a lot of money. End result? Not worth it to Nokia. So I doubt you'll ever see an official Nokia Gameboy emulator.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

  20. #40
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    575
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    Making your company's product compatible with other people's software is not illegal and it is a good idea, as demonstrated by the "IBM compatible" PC market.
    I think a better comparison would be people who make bongs and pipes to smoke weed which are legal but the weed is not.

    and if you think for a second that Nintendo would be ok with this you've been hitting the bong too hard.
    So software is illegal? How would it be illegal to own software? How would it be illegal to run said software?

Similar Threads

  1. Nokia N-Gage Classic & Nokia N-Gage QD Development Kit.
    By DirkDagger in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 12:14 PM
  2. WTB: N-GAGE Games + Complete OG Taco N-GAGE system
    By Shou in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
  3. Original N-Gage or N-Gage QD?
    By fishsandwich in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2006, 09:13 PM
  4. N-Gage end maybe not so near
    By classicb in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 01:08 AM
  5. WTB: N-Gage
    By SegaAges in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2004, 11:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •