Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feelings of accomplishment in games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default Feelings of accomplishment in games.

I was playing Super Mario Sunshine, well, just now, and I finally finished one of the platforming sections, you know, the ones where you don't have your water pack? Well, I finally finished it and I felt like a BAD ASS. I mean, I haven't gotten that feeling after beating a section in a game in a long time. It seems like most games now just can't muster up that feeling in me.

When was the last time you felt such a since of accomplishment after finishing a game or a section of a game?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's nothing like finishing something for the first time ever.

It's been a while since that's happened to me, I'm hoping I can actually complete Parasite Eve 2 this time, after giving up and restarting.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this feeling is the reason Legend of Zelda is the most anticipated game of the year. Each time I complete a Zelda game, I feel that another chapter has closed, and I await the decade when a decendant of Links, must find the courage to defend the new Hyrule, from the same fucking warlock/wizard/witch that has broken free from his locked box, to kidnap a descendant of Zelda, whom bares the sacred mark. The Triforce Tattoo of DEATH!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

I was some satisfied when i finished ninja Gaiden. Although i'm still working my way thru very hard mode.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There have only been a few times that I've ever felt a sense of true satisfaction when finishing a game. Three great ones would be Ocarina Of Time, Jade Empire and the other? Lord Of The Rings The Third Age. Seriously. An incredible game that got bagged on by the media, ensuring that no-one would buy it. For shame.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Skies of Arcadia was the last one to do that for me. I started it and abandoned it so many times because of all the random encounters, but I stuck with it long enough to get the engines that allow you to avoid most of them and started to really enjoy the story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The greatest feelings of accomplishment usually come from RPG's with cheap end bosses that take 1-2 hours to beat. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne comes to mind.

I also was pleased with myself after beating Devil May Cry 3 after reading how difficult the game was...

...even if it was on "easy" mode.

Aaron.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I didnt beat the game, I felt like I had accomplished alot putting 18 hours into riviera on GBA. Why? these days I simply find it very difficult to find an rpg that holds my interest for more than 2 hours, and putting 18 hours into a GBA RPG was a huge accomplishment for me.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Feelings of accomplishment in games.

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    I was playing Super Mario Sunshine, well, just now, and I finally finished one of the platforming sections, you know, the ones where you don't have your water pack? Well, I finally finished it and I felt like a BAD ASS. I mean, I haven't gotten that feeling after beating a section in a game in a long time. It seems like most games now just can't muster up that feeling in me.
    That's pretty much what I've just done. TWICE!

Mario Sunshine seems like one of those games. It gets really frusrating, trying to get past one tiny little section over and over again. I left it alone for a day then did them first attempt both times. It always feels especially good when you do it first time after a lot of frustration.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Getting the Biggoron (sp?) Sword in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I remember beating SaGa Frontier with all 7 characters...not a lot of people were able to do this because one of the characters, Riki, had a boss that you can only defeat using move combinations, and they didn't know you could just use DSC on him. No one probably knows what I'm talking about, but trust me, there were definetly some difficult bosses in this game that made me feel great when I accomplished the task of beating all of them.

Another one is 100%ing Grand Theft Auto 3. I don't really have a story on that, though. It was pretty straightforward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana
    I remember beating SaGa Frontier with all 7 characters...not a lot of people were able to do this because one of the characters, Riki, had a boss that you can only defeat using move combinations, and they didn't know you could just use DSC on him. No one probably knows what I'm talking about, but trust me, there were definetly some difficult bosses in this game that made me feel great when I accomplished the task of beating all of them.

Another one is 100%ing Grand Theft Auto 3. I don't really have a story on that, though. It was pretty straightforward.
    I just bought saga frontier in a trade, which character is easiest / most interesting to start with? and how long does it take the beat the game with 1 character?

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

The feeling of accomplishment that rushed through my veins the moment I blasted Sigma with that final charge blast in Mega Man X.... pure gaming bliss. How about when I finally put to rest Ghaleon in Lunar: The Silver Star? I had a tear in my eye.

I know this feeling you speak of. I know it all too well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guitar Hero 2: "Woman" on Hard...

And when I captured a Missingno-like thing in Pokemon Ruby.

Not sure if this counts, but also when I beat Bubble Shooter.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

When I got 5 star ranks with all characters and all levels on the Mercenaries Mini-game in RE4. I spent many hours perfecting my skills, and it all paid off when I got the Handcannon and that sense that I accomplished something that only a few people have mustered up the patience to achieve. Was it worth it? Yes, it was fucking worth it.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i feel that way a lot as well. Especially when i beat a zelda game, most notably with Majora's Mask last month or so (The first zelda I beat in almost a year, and second to last I have left.) Now, I have Adventure of Link left (sitting CIB on my shelf, my first CIB NES game and I am very proud of owning it, even if it isn't rare.) I also had the feeling of accomplishment after completing Luigi's Damn Purple Coins in Super Mario Galaxy.

Only time I felt like a badass though was when i got an S on Sweatin on Jumpin Jack Flash in EBA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

Beating Rez on ps2 always makes me feel like I accompished something. That game is just so amazing.
    youtube= http://www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
    blog= www.gamespot.com/users/lazyhoboguy/
    My Game Collection= http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) NESGamer24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    There have only been a few times that I've ever felt a sense of true satisfaction when finishing a game. Three great ones would be Ocarina Of Time, Jade Empire and the other? Lord Of The Rings The Third Age. Seriously. An incredible game that got bagged on by the media, ensuring that no-one would buy it. For shame.
    Ocarina of Time for me as well. I remember I got stuck in the one temple where the center fills with water and I thought once you fill it up you couldnt remove the water. So I stopped playing. About 2 months later I picked it back up and found you can lower the water as well as raise it. Beating that game gave me a sense of achievement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beating Braid felt pretty good. I'm sure a lot of people accomplished this but it's such a good game and I got stuck more than once. Of course I had to look at a walkthrough to get all the stars my second time through!

Getting the scarab gun in Halo 2 also felt pretty darn good. That took a looong time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alot of love for Zelda here. So, in that vein, I've got to say the last time I felt like I accomplished something was in Twilight Princess. It's nothing major, but for some reason my buttons weren't working. I was trying to close up 3 twilight monsters in a black circle (I was the wolf in the beginning of the game) and everytime I pressed B nothing happened. Finally, after going through the same level about 8 times it worked. WTF?!? I thought Zelda games were known for their control, but this game has some of the most unresponsive control ever. It's very disappointing to feel accomplishment only due to the programmers shortcomings.
    Your ad here.