Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 may slip to 2007? depending on Xbox360 performance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 may slip to 2007? depending on Xbox360 performance

Sony strategists may see a priced-down PS2 as all the company needs in '06; would ride $99 sticker--and profits--all the way to 2007.
    Buried in an analyst's memo, written shortly after last week's Electronic Arts earnings call, was a hidden gem. According to the widely read team at Wedbush Morgan Securities, Sony may delay the release of the PlayStation 3 until 2007--if exactly the right conditions prevail.

Currently, the console is slated to appear in Japan before the end of that company's fiscal year--March 31, 2006--and in North America before the end of 2006.

Given the right set of circumstances, however, that release window (at least in North America) could intentionally lag until after the 2006 holiday buying season.

In a research memo sent to investors, Wedbush senior analyst Michael Pachter set up the following scene for a delayed PS3 launch. It starts with the current-generation Xbox being priced down to $99 post-Xbox 360 launch, but no lower. Concurrent with that situation--an Xbox 360 at an unspecified price and the Xbox at $99--Sony would drop the price of the PlayStation 2 to $99.

There are two components to that pricing strategy: the first is that a $99 PS2 would offer a significant distraction as the 360 launches. As Pachter states: "We believe that the company will attempt to disrupt the Xbox 360 launch with a price cut, and as a result may succeed in diverting attention away from the higher-priced next-generation console."

In addition to the "diversion rationale" is the supporting fact that "the redesigned PS2 carries a manufacturing cost of less than $99," according to Pachter. New consoles are noteworthy for the fact that at the beginning of their manufacturing cycle, the units are sold at a loss. Given that the PS2, according to Pachter, would cost less to make than to sell, it behooves Sony to extend demand for that product for as long as possible. And if Microsoft takes the Xbox price no lower than $99 (still a loss for Microsoft, according to Pachter), Sony will find itself in a win-win situation.

Another cornerstone in Pachter's theory is Sony not wanting to disappoint consumers and retailers by having too few units in the channel over the high-demand weeks of this coming December. Pachter says, "we believe that Sony suffered the ignominy of being unable to satisfy holiday ['04] demand in order to increase its gross profits over the short term."

If the PS3 launches in late '06 and suffers the same fate, Sony would be embarrassed for a second straight year. Without any PS3's in the channel, there's no chance of a shortage of stock. A backward theory perhaps, but a theory based in fact nonetheless.

The key point in Pachter's argument weighs heavily on what sort of showing the 360 has at launch. If the 360 tallies significant sales early, Sony would need to fire on all cylinders and get the PS3 into the channel ASAP. However: "Should Microsoft fail to garner sufficient software support to gain an insurmountable lead, we think that there is a possibility that the PS3 launch will slip into early 2007."

Following the distribution of the memo last week, GameSpot spoke with Pachter who emphasized that he "posited the thought as option value for Sony." Continuing, he said, "I think the 360 will do quite well."

But if the 360 does an about-face at launch and tanks, the above Plan B could be an option the cash-strapped Sony might just consider.

By Curt Feldman -- GameSpot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it doesnt really matter when the system lanuches, i wont pay more than $199 for a PS3 or an XBox 360. It looks like i wont have either system until 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For 99$ I plan on putting my money in a new Xbox and another slim model PS2 since my current one gets so much play time.

I would like to get an Xbox360 at launch but that seems highly unlikely.

I also regret not pruchasing a couple more NEW Dreamcast units when they were marked down to 50$ a few years ago and I will not make that mistake again.

Im going to take full advantage of all the cheap PS2 and Xbox games and sytems this time around Im not going to miss out on all the great deals just to get a new system and a couple games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    Im going to take full advantage of all the cheap PS2 and Xbox games and sytems this time around Im not going to miss out on all the great deals just to get a new system and a couple games
    Oh for sure the cheap games and systems (xbox, ps2 slim for me). I wonder if the gamecube will drop in price again, I would be game for a 50 dollar gamecube.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good news either way.. perhaps the ps3 price could drop during the delay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

How about the 360 price dropping if the ps3 waits till 2007.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox 360

They only way the 360 can fail is if there is not enough units produced which seems to be happening. Have you tried to reserve one? I got the last resevation at me EBGames and it does not look like more are coming, and if I am not mistaking production of the units is only now about to begin, since developeers should have received their final development units (not sure if this has happened yet or not). I do believe Microsoft will be controlling the number of systems released at a pace that can be susteained by software sales, since they will probably lose a ton of money on each unit.

Also, if there is not enough titles ready it could fail. The PSP and DS seem to have been released too soon, but I think Quake 4, Gears of War, and several of the other titles will sustain the 360 by themselves as long as their release dates don't slip...

I believe I read that there will be a model of Xbox 360 released with a HD-DVD drive. I suspect this will be released up against the PS3, and will probably have one or two other surprises to go with it (how about a Halo 3 co-release).

Not interested in another PS2 model coming out unless it is a handheld...

Trebuken

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Xbox 360

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken
    Not interested in another PS2 model coming out unless it is a handheld...

Trebuken
    You mean the PSP?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoa. If you are going to leech a news update from Slashdot, make sure you read through the comments there before posting it in DP. Considering that this "insiders source" wound up just being a guy that sits in his basement, watching Sony's stock rise and fall.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My price point for any new console based system is $149.99. It better make me want to buy it right away or I will wait.... My price point for any new handheld is $149.99 and it needs to come with a game, other wise my new handheld price point is $99.99. (Hear that Sony?) This does not include used pricing..

I agree with Chrisbid when I say I won't be getting either of these systems (or a PSP) for quite some time..
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess that would mean no Halo 3 till 2007.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Even if it was just made up by some idiot it doesn't change the fact that it is possible. It's based upon the 360 failing however and if that happens the devil had better know how to skate.

360 will succeed and capture a large part of the market. Sony will most likely launch the PS3 in Japan in Spring and in the US in Fall. It will cost a fortune. Then things will get ineresting.

Anyone who knows Sony's track record with quality hopefully won't buy a launch PS3 and it's cost will keep causual gamers from buying it. But the fanboys will still be there to support Square-Sony.

If a major FF game is announced for the 360 before the PS3 launches Sony is gonna be hurting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Anyone who knows Sony's track record with quality hopefully won't buy a launch PS3 and it's cost will keep causual gamers from buying it. But the fanboys will still be there to support Square-Sony.
    HA HA HA HA HA.

The too expensive for casual gamers comment made me think about a group of guys at work.

I was trying to explain to them why they should at least look at what the other consoles of the future have to offer. They wouldn't dare. Not because they are Sony fanboys, but because they are Madden fanboys. Apparently, somewhow, there are people confused that Madden is either exclusive to Playstations, or that Madden is better on Playstations. Regardless, when I told them the estimated figure to purchase a PS3, not a one of them flinched.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If this happens more than likely the Revolution won't come out until 2007 as well. They don't want Sony to steal their ideas.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good news for me, no way I can afford both the 360 and ps3 both together....

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If this does happen, I could see the PS3 coming along at a cheaper price with a whole lot of launch games,

also it could do a big hurting to xbox 360 which I don't know how well it will do even if they have a year ahead, but we will see what happens.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i wont pay more than $199 for a PS3 or an XBox 360. It looks like i wont have either system until 2008
    Actually, the 360 may be able to hit that price point in 2007 I'd think.

And if the high price of the PS3 kills it off it will get cheaper, though it will still be overcosted.

Like I have been saying repeatedly in posts for some time now, Sony is screwed this time.

I don't know what the 360 will sell for, but realistically it will be less than PS3. If the PS3 costs as much as one would expect, it should give time for MS to adjust the price of the 360 to a relatively saleable point (the $300 mark), if they don't try to go for that at launch (yes, the would bleed money out the wazoo, but PS2 and XBOX are both doing that already).

Honestly, if a console isn't selling worth a damn because of costy how do you think that will affect development for the system.

Major Sony supporters are slowly moving into a more platform agnostic stance. Squeenix has started talking about FF and DQuest becoming truly multi-platform series, and not just the token crap of the last couple years.

While I don't expect the 360 to fly in Japan, developers are consistently increasing development. The price issue will both accelerate this, and development for the rev also.

High profile games that are thought to be a potential messiah for PS3 will just jump ship or be abandoned. FF13 for instance will have enormous development costs attached. The PS3 version may either be scrapped or augmented with another version, or jump ship. Casual Japanese gamers will notice.

Eventually some big PS3 projects will conjure memories of what happened to Namida for PCFX, though they will not hibernate so damn long this time, and will just be a boon to the competition.

JP game market is depressed, and the old boom economy that could have supported frivolous crap like PS3 on a mass scale is long gone.

America isn't ready for Blu-ray, and there will only be token support at PS3 launch. The development difficulties with the PS3 will limit the impressiveness of games. Can you imagine something ultra-expensive without even looking like next-gen? It should be freakin' hilarious.

The PS3 will take along time to actually die in Japan of course, but so did the PC-FX, technically.

I still believe Nintendo will take back JP some day.

Even now they are the only console company making a profit.
    DS sales in Japan are more than twice that of PSP.

Nintendo is still most successful game publisher in Japan.

People like to ignore the numbers, but if you take a moment to look it's Sony and MS that are having a tough time of it.

The momentum is clearly in favor of the DS, leaving Nintendo fairly safe for some time yet.

The sales of PS2 in the US are driven by stuff like sports games, GTA and such, are they not? If someone just has to have next gen Madden, and the 360 cost a hundred or more less, you just guess which one they would choose.

As far as PS3's fate, the writing is on the wall.

Game over, Sony, game over.....

The first ray of the new rising sun will soon be upon us.

which I don't know how well it will do even if they have a year ahead
    Actually, they would have to show up last (i.e. in 2007) to get the price down enough, and to give enough time to shore up the launch stuff to generational standards. By that time it would be too late, and it would still cost more.......

when I told them the estimated figure to purchase a PS3, not a one of them flinched.
    They won't now, but even if they still are that way later, there is always the issue of whether such fools can even afford to buy the damn thing. Damn Madden fans are morons. It wasn't even the better football series until it became the only one.

And you have to admit that the price point will cut into Sony's market share somewhat.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So this talk of a $99 XBOX isnt true?

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So this talk of a $99 XBOX isnt true?
    Who said that?

They could may do that to move back stock of the orig. XBOX.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They only way the 360 can fail is if there is not enough units produced which seems to be happening.
    There weren't many PS2s at launch either. I worked at a games tore at the time. It was insane. Not far from here people got shot and bludgeoned to death for the things.

MS could shore up numbers in the meantime, and recover, especially with the whole cost thing with PS3.

Actually, the only way the 360 could fail is if it has as much of a cost issue as PS3, but it may well be $300. I think over $400 at launch is the breaking point.

Even at $400 the PS3 would have a hard time, especially with development difficulties keeping stuff unimpressive.

And I don't think Sony can afford to sell it for that price. The absolute minimum they can afford would $450 with $60-$70 games I think, and again, $400 wouldn't necessarily play out well either. At $400 it would be like a rerun of the Saturn launch just with a less damaged brand name. It still wouild fail.

the first is that a $99 PS2 would offer a significant distraction
    How would that work when everyone but me already has one?
    And I've owned 3 of the damn things.

no Halo 3 till 2007.
    Never would be fine by me, though I enjoyed playing through the campaign in the first Halo. Let's see something else. It's already gotten old IMO.

People don't care about price, eh? Try telling Trip Hawkins that....... The 3DO sure tore up the market didn't it.