Thread: Probably a dumb question, but a question I ask nonetheless.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Probably a dumb question, but a question I ask nonetheless.

With everyone freaking out about San Andreas going from M to A/O, and the possibility of Killer 7 now apparently doing the same thing, I have to wonder about something I experienced earlier today at EBGames.

Today I picked up Kirby's Dreamland 2 for Gameboy. It was the one Kirby platformer that, after all these years, I never got around to nabbing. And I noticed that one version had the "K/A" rating on it, while the other had the "E" rating on it.

I'm guessing that the "E" rated one exists simply because it was likely the "Player's Choice" version, and by then the ESRB already did away with the K/A rating. But I'm curious... is there any sort of difference in value between the two? And do any collectors out there specifically seek one over the other?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As a man hunting down every freaking possible officially released variant, there really is no difference between the games as far as the K-A / E rating goes. For whatever reaosn they wanted single letter only across the board, and did away with it. Hence why there is now E+10 rather than like, PT (Pre-Teen). They just simply changed the icon when they re-released the game as a GH.

There are several US Gold long box games that had the K-A replaced with E once Eidos bought them out and republished them in the jewel case size.

It's usually more if a buyer wants the Non GH or GH version of a game.

The only real game I can think of other than GTA that had a ESRB change (per se) just without all of the dipshit hype and political riding was Final Fantasy VII.

The original release was a Teen for "Realistic Violence", which was hogwash. The game was then re-released as a Teen (+13) with the reasosn of being Comic Mischief (Caet Sith), Mild Language (Most of Barrett's Speech), and Mild Animated Violence (not even Sephiroth's sword drew blood, if ya know what I mean).

You can see the two here, or you can check out the (now outdated) PlaySTation variant page at http://www.game-rave.com/variant/index.html

Main page at http://www.game-rave.com/psx

Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    As a man hunting down every freaking possible officially released variant, there really is no difference between the games as far as the K-A / E rating goes. For whatever reaosn they wanted single letter only across the board, and did away with it. Hence why there is now E+10 rather than like, PT (Pre-Teen). They just simply changed the icon when they re-released the game as a GH.

There are several US Gold long box games that had the K-A replaced with E once Eidos bought them out and republished them in the jewel case size.

It's usually more if a buyer wants the Non GH or GH version of a game.

The only real game I can think of other than GTA that had a ESRB change (per se) just without all of the dipshit hype and political riding was Final Fantasy VII.

The original release was a Teen for "Realistic Violence", which was hogwash. The game was then re-released as a Teen (+13) with the reasosn of being Comic Mischief (Caet Sith), Mild Language (Most of Barrett's Speech), and Mild Animated Violence (not even Sephiroth's sword drew blood, if ya know what I mean).

You can see the two here, or you can check out the (now outdated) PlaySTation variant page at http://www.game-rave.com/variant/index.html

Main page at http://www.game-rave.com/psx

Jason
    Fascinating stuff! You learn something new every day. Thanks for the link!