Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Wonder Boy in Monster Land

The "sometimes" Wednesday Random Game Generator has chosen a classic from the Sega Master System library, Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

Thsi was the second of the series, how does it fare? If you've played the game, what did you like or dislike about it? What improvements did you see from this game over the original Wonder Boy game? What do you remember most? Share your thoughts on this classic title here.

DP Guide sez:

Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Sega Master System, by Sega) $10/R3
    Based on the 1987 Sega coin-op. The second in the Wonderboy line. A "two mega" game. An odd label variation shows the title misspelled "Super Wonderboy Super Monsterland". EASTER EGGS: For extra gold: After you get the sword from the fortune teller at the beginning of the game, press pause 73 times, and you will receive 45 extra gold pieces. Alternately, you can press 1 or 2 on controller 2 instead of using the pause button. This trick can be used as many times as needed. #7007.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I like Monster Land because it was the precursor to everyone's favorite Wonder Boy game, The Dragon's Trap.

It marks a departure from the caveman on a skateboard theme of the first game, toward a cartoony knight game. It's a bit frustrating to play at times, but it does feature gameplay elements that were later improved with WBIII.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    I like Monster Land because it was the precursor to everyone's favorite Wonder Boy game, The Dragon's Trap.
    Heh, my primary reason for favoring this game too.

It was a good game that would set the mood for the rest of the Wonder Boy series (not the Adventure Island series, as LJ has pointed out ), but KEY-RHYSTE, IT'S FUGGIN' HARD!!! I... prefer to have more than zero continues when it comes to a partly non-linear game filled with enemies at every turn, and even with a gorddanged time limit too. I never got very far, but it's worth a look for any and all fans of WB3: The Dragon's Trap (or Dragon's Curse on the Turbografx-16).

And here's a noice link worth checkin' out: http://www.classicgaming.com/reviews.../wonderboy.htm
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great game. I am not sure on which system I have play it (I think I have not played it on the Master System), but its a great adventure game.

The first Wonderboy which I played was on C64. Only a Jump and Run. But it was a good game. I played it together with my brother many hours and days, till we have finish it. The Stages were always near the same. Only it get harder and harder. And the Boss get harder too. So it takes a while, till we have finish it.

And later as I played Wonderboy in Monsterland not sure anymore on which system I loved it. It was a great Adventure game and very easy to play. Sometimes with much searching for hidden things, but great adventure and fun to play.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I could never get enough money to upgrade equipment much without cheating, but it's been a while since I last played. It's a fine game otherwise, probably one of the earliest platform games to incorporate a sidequest. Westone did a lot of innovative things that get taken for granted in later games, though ironically one of Westone's problems seemed to be their inability to break from the Wonderboy mold.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep meaning to get this game. All I've got is the first one, and I can't get past this one gigantic jump on the very first level.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the SMS version. It's better (slightly easier) than the Arcade or PC Engine Version (Bikkuri Man World).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played this game SOOOOOOO much when I was a kid. I still whip it out once in a while.

They're right, tho, it's nasty hella hard. I've never beaten it... I've only gotten to Mechadragon once and I got wiped out soooo bad hehehe. That back-and-forth jumping before the final boss is an absolute BITCH. And you're more likely to run out of time in the final dungeon than die by losing health heh.

The trick to getting enough money to buy good upgrades is to know where ALL the hidden coins and moneybags are. I spent so much time jumping everywhere when I was young hehe.

Great game, tho!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find the game to be extremely easy, but that's probably due to the insane amount of time I put into it as a kid.
    Anyone played the PC Engine port? How does it stack up against the Arcade?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Will always be my fav SMS game!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Loved this game as a kid, but I could never get across the desert without dieing.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

a fun note to all the nes geeks.
    theres a famicom version fo the game with differnt graphcis .
    its call sanuyuki world (not sure I speled that right)
    but its based on the legend of goku. (not dbz) it has mostly the same level design and power ups, with some differnt stages as well as a differnt story/ending.

one of the memories i have of the sms one, was sometimes when playing it on the power base converter ..for some unknown reason the game would boot in the japanese version (complete with sega mark 3 screen) I always wondered how to make this happen.

one fun side note, the japanese version is easier (things take half as many hits) and as many people proably know..you can't use genesis controlers to play the game on the pbc, BUT if you can get it to boot in the japaneese version, it'll play just fine with a genesis controller, wierd huh?

I know many sega games have both regions built into the carts, but does anyone know how I was able to trigger the japanese version on the pbc (I was able to do it randomly several times)

awesome game though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea i loved this game from back when it first came out and i finished it i still have it in my collection ... good to see wonderboy fans here !!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Master System version is crap. The arcade version is beautiful and probably my favorite arcade game of all time.
    Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, for some reason, this is and has always been one of my favorite games of all time. Probably in my personal top five. It's my favorite of the Wonder Boy series and one I have loved since I was a kid.

There is so much that went into the design of this game. It really requires repeated play before you can learn where all the secret money stashes are and the best way to spend your money at the shops. That's really key. For example, at the beginning you have to make a choice whether to buy a cheap pair of boots, or wait and save up and buy a nicer pair a couple levels later. If you chose the latter you will have the jump length you need to reach a cloud where there is a ton of good stuff waiting for you. The game is full of stuff like that - I would spend hours slashing at the air to find every single hidden coin stash I could.

The game is challenging. The graphics are awesome. It has the classic Sega gameplay and vibe. What can I say? The random generator has picked a classic. I have always hoped to track down the arcade PCB someday.

I even prefer it to the Dragon's Trap.
    You guys will laugh at me, but I have the HARDEST TIME opening doors in that game! I have to sit in front of a door for minutes pushing up over and over and hoping it will eventually open...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the Genesis version.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?