Thread: Legend of Zelda timeline

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Legend of Zelda timeline

So im paying Wind waker and wonder about the timeline of the series(not including the cdi games)

I know Zelda 1>zelda 2 and OOT >WW but not sure where MM, Twilight princess, LTTP and the gb/gba/gbc games fit
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strawberry (Level 2) Super Mario Fan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Legend of Zelda timeline

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Charlie
    So im paying Wind waker and wonder about the timeline of the series(not including the cdi games)

I know Zelda 1>zelda 2 and OOT >WW but not sure where MM, Twilight princess, LTTP and the gb/gba/gbc games fit
    There are many debates as to what the actual timeline is. There are some that believe that there isn't a time line at all.

To the best of my Zelda knowledge it goes as follows:

Ocarina of Time
    Link departs Hyrule to go to the distant land of Termina, and so begins:

Majora's Mask

-------------At least a Century into the future-----------

Wind Waker: After link sails off he ends up on a strange Island, where he begind a new quest:

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakining/DX
    After that Link, on a journey back to Hyrule ends up in Lybrinia/Holldrum resulting in:

Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons:
    After saving Zedla beating Onox/Veran/Twinrova/Gannon Link find himself a new Journey:

Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past
    Another one of Links infamous showdowns with Ganon, I believe it to be linked directly with:

*Legend Of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.

------A gap of an undetermined amount of time------

Legend of Zelda:
    The final showdown between Link and Gannon

Legend of Zelda: Adventures of Link

Believed to be a dream and the end of the Zelda Sereies.

--------END OF LEGEND OF ZELDA SERIES----------

I believe Twilight princess will fit in between MM and Wind Waker, not sure where, though.

*Some would agree that it does not fit in at all, but I believe that if it did that's where it would be.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I agree with that timeline except that I put all the Gameboy games (in the same order however) just after Link to the Past.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I stand by the idea of Zelda being one of the following:

1) An oral history, being told each time by a different storyteller, and thus somewhat different but with the same ultimate themes.

2) Repeating history, in that it does actually happen, but each time is a descendant / random similar person possessing the trait of the main three characters (zelda=wisdom, link=courage, ganon=power).

3) Metaphor or actual happenings of the balance of power within the triforce itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McBacon
    Cool, thanks for posting that. There is SO MUCH damn ZELDA info!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer
    2) Repeating history, in that it does actually happen, but each time is a descendant / random similar person possessing the trait of the main three characters (zelda=wisdom, link=courage, ganon=power).
    This has always been my understanding, and the beginning story of Wind Waker seems to support it.

And I swear I've heard a quote from someone at Nintendo sort of appealing to this idea as well.
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

It's ALWAYS the same Ganon apparently, but the Link and Zelda characters are different generation wise.

(in that, it's the same Link in Ocarina and Majora's Mask, a different Link for LoZ and Adventures of Link etc)

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Where are you getting Zelda II is a dream? It was established in Link to the Past that there are, indeed, THREE Triforces.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just think of it as alternate universes and be done with it.

Seems unlikely he was raised both on an island and in a forest and by his uncle in Hyrule.

I do not think even the creators of Zelda know the order of the series, so it's silly to look for hints when the answer doesn't actually exist.

After reading McBacon's link, I guess you can put me down for the "parallel timeline" theory, as that's the only one that even makes a slight bit of sense.

I don't buy the descendent thing. So Link and Zelda get together and have a family. Then later, another baby Link goes out and falls in love with another princess with the name Zelda who looks just like his mom/grandma/whatever.

Zelda is always a "princess." But if Link marries Zelda, doesn't that make him part of the royal family then? If that's the case, then why would his decendents be born into poverty in every single generation. And somehow a different family is back in power in Hyrule, also with a daughter named Zelda, but not related to the other Zelda or Link. Doesn't make sense to me.

Why are people even trying to weave a complicated story around a series that has never been weighed by its story? They simply want to have a kid save a princess. Instead of creating an elaborate story to figure out why he has to save the princess again and again, they simply wipe the slate clean and start the story over at square one every couple of games. It doesn't need an explanation. It's just a game.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple
    Why are people even trying to weave a complicated story around a series that has never been weighed by its story?
    Because we're fans and it's fun!

(I really like the "multiple tellings of the same" story idea, although I couldn't tell you why).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just reading about this a few weeks ago. I just beat Windaker too, and I wanted to know where it all fit in. There seems to be alot of theories out there. The "Shigeru" theory seems to be the most concrete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think there's really any official timeline. You just kind of have to fill in the blanks on your own. Therefore, everyone has a different take on it.

Personally, I go for the whole "Link and Zelda are continually reincarnated" theory.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link
    I don't think there's really any official timeline. You just kind of have to fill in the blanks on your own. Therefore, everyone has a different take on it.

Personally, I go for the whole "Link and Zelda are continually reincarnated" theory.
    The downside to that theory is that what if they name Link something else... like George.

George, the hero of Hyrule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are we to assume a timeline actually DOES exist? Think outside of the box for a moment... Does a timeline actually exist in The Simpsons? Where many believe there is one, I think it's safe to assume that there isn't an actual timeline.

The way I see the LOZ series is the way I perceive things like novels based on series such as Buffy / Star Wars / Star Trek et al... They are all stories which are written by different people using the same characters and settings but that's pretty much it.

You read some of those novels and you'll come across various chronological errors based on any other novel - Each novelist can't be expected to have read each and every other Star Trek book for example.

Ie, Star Trek First Contact and Insurrection (The films) don't take into account the novel called "Ship Of The Line" and often contradict what has been written in that novel.

If there is in fact a timeline in the Zelda series, then Nintendo have made it pretty hard to follow!

I used to think there was a timeline (Ie, Zelda I --> Zelda II --> Link To The Past --> Link's Awakening) but then it all got a bit fuzzy from there on in.

You also have to remember that a majority of the Zelda series is told with Link as both a child hero and as an adult hero.

And after playing Wind Waker, I also got the impression that the characters of Link and Zelda are eternally recreated through time, as is Gannon - Something to do with those three being interconnected through the Tri-Force and time...