Thread: Paypal-ebay q

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Paypal-ebay q

Just hooked up a Paypal account to my checking account/credit card early today, now gotta wait the 2-3 days for verification. Now I added Paypal to my ebay account for buying/selling, should I have done that, or waited till verification?

Reason asking is I don't want to end up screwing anything up for an auction I have running that's ending in a few hours.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It should be fine. I think the money will just go into your PayPal balance. Then when your information is verified you can put it in the bank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evil_genius
    It should be fine. I think the money will just go into your PayPal balance. Then when your information is verified you can put it in the bank.
    So if the buyer uses Paypal, they can put the money to my Paypal account while I'm waiting for the Paypal verification deposit to go through without loosing their money? Then I can just transfer both to my checking account?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am pretty sure it will go down that way, it makes sense. But that is why I got all that crap out of the way before I started selling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Paypal usually take a long time for you guys for the verification deposit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Nah, only a few days, but it's easier if you use online banking, that way you can check in an easier way for the amounts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Great, now Paypal's saying my account is invalid...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Read this thread to learn something very important: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68259

And..from another post, what I can tell you about paypal:

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
    I don't trust paypal, I don't do business with them ever. here are some good reasons.

According to PayPal accepting their ToS (Terms of Service) in effect means you waive your rights to credit card consumer protection laws if you want to use their service, and that you may not issue a chargeback for unauthorized use of your credit card and PayPal account, or if you do, then they have the right to limit your account.

Their terms of service are not completely disclosed upon signup and some key "conditions" are not disclosed. They fail to mention their total lack of security to prevent your account from being compromised by phishing & spoof sites. That if your account is accessed by a criminal using one of these methods, PayPal will hold YOU monetarily & legally responsible! Also, no place do they openly tell potential members that their money is 100% at risk. That PayPal can, will, and has in the past, completely cleaned out customers' accounts, (including your checking or savings account) with no appeals process available. Instead they bury in the fine print of 37 pages of their "Terms of Service" (ToS) where they disclose to you that PayPal can close your account for any reason what-so-ever, or no reason, and then you have to wait 180 days to get your money.
    Whenever paypal comes up in a discussion I will always point these things out. This can and have happened to many people and can happen to you, please be careful when using paypal not to get your funds compromised.

Also it is very dangerous to link paypal directly to your bank acount, say for example you were to sell a laptop. You get your money sent to your paypal account, you send the laptop, a week later the customer says they didnt get the laptop even though they really did, and they file a chargeback aqnd get all their money back. This means that person now has the money AND the laptop. Just read the link that I posted at the top, that happened to someone here who sold a PS2!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been using paypal for years and have NEVER had problems with them...Some people are just so closeminded at times.

anyways

Great, now Paypal's saying my account is invalid...
    You probably just typed in your account number wrong. Double check and retype it in.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How can I be close minded by pointing out the possible risks that are taken when dealing with paypal? This is just to warn people and to be careful with the service because these things can and have happened to people. I didn't say that it happens to EVERYONE that uses paypal! I'm sure there are millions of people who have never had a problem with the service. But there are also a number of honest people who have been screwed either by paypal directly, or by people who know how to manipulate paypal in their favor. All I'm saying is be careful!

As far as who is close minded, I think you need to actually read and understand what I was trying to say..

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You shouldn't use a Bank, because they can close your account and take your money for almost ANY reason, look at their "Terms".

You shouldn't shop onlne because someone could steal your identity.

You shouldn't give your credit card to a waiter at a resteraunt because they could go in the back and copy the info and use it again later.

The point is there are risks associated with everything. And everyone should ALWAYS do research when it comes to what they are doing with their hard earned money.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've actually had paypal limit my account on the grounds that the buyer had complained that they had not recieved the merchandise...so I e-mailed the buyer and they had made no such claim and were happy with the item in question.

So they requested a proof of ownership, ie an invoice or a sales reciept...mind you, this was an old cell phone that I wanted to upgrade from so by this time I had no longer had any of this. So after 7 steps of basically giving paypal my entire identity, SS #, they call your house to make sure your home # is valid, add bank account and CC...they still would not reactivate my account, so I called, and the lady had said "Paypal sometimes randomly limits accounts without clause as we have the right to do so"

So my account was randomly limited for whatever reason, I had no proof of purchase so I was basically screwed.

I called again the next day and got a very helpul CSR (Rare at paypal) who said he would forward a message to the higher ups stating that it was an old cell phone and I had no purchase proof. Low and behold, less than 8 hours later, my account was reinstated and good to go.

That was last christmas and the only paypal problem I've ever had on the seller end of things.

I can't say I agree with random limits on my account, I was doing a lot of business on a few different forums and that time period that I didn't have my account cost me some needed $ at the time.

Be weary of paypal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you had PP already? The money will sit there until you activate an account.

As for them taking money out of you bank account. I don't think they can do that, but I'm going to read the user agreement to be sure.

Paypal is pretty safe and I've only had a few, minor problems that were worked out. Your best bet is to always use a traking number, even for out of the country deals. If the buyer wants to use PP then they have to pay for that service. It's too easy for buyers outside your country to claim they never got the item. Then PP will take your money and lock your account until it's settled.

Here is Assemblers experience:

Here is my ebay and paypal horror story.

I sold a $700 NPDP-GBOX unit to Graaonline.com, it's some shit online RPG in france. The rule is buyer beware. I.E. if you dont know what it is, dont fucking bid.

It arrives promptly, but they had no clue how to use a NPDP-GBOX. Even worse they thought it was a G-DEV even though it clearly was not. After they got the unit they then demanded applications for the unit like codewarrior and such, items NOT INCLUDED in the auctions. I am not buying thousands of dollars in items to make a crackpot happy.

Of course to save money the item was sent global air mail which is not trackable to destination. Only the insurance is. Paypal refused to wait on the proof of delivery from the insurance.

So what does he do? He says he never got the item and files on paypal for a chargeback. Time goes, by, paypal refuses to wait for the track on the insurance.

Paypal sends the money back to him. He now has the money and the item. a total loss of $1400.
    Paypal could care less that I have emails from him asking me how to use the machine.

Then the kicker:

I had a last crop of auctions which I told people I did not accept paypal on.
    So what do they do? Fucking Paypal. Jlingr paypals me $250. I told every bidder in advance DO NOT PAYPAL ME. He does. Money goes right to the guy in france.

Now I have two claims on my account.

I wind up sending almost $1000 worth of items for free as the money went to the guy in france for the item "not sent".

My account is locked. I decide to wait on the trace. The Us postal service cannot fail. Wrong. The trace takes 30 days top get to france, 30 days in france, 30 days back. NINETY FUCKING DAYS. It's been over 100 and no answer. "Wait" they tell me.

I can't kill my business not selling. So I decide to take it as a loss, and send the money to the liar and take the hit.

What does paypal tell me for the last month:

TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE ON YOUR ACCOUNT ADD FUNDS FROM A BANK ACCOUNT

so I try and get..

CANNOT ADD BANK ACCOUNT OR FUNDS UNTIL ISSUES ARE RESOLVED.

So I call, and the wonderful support tells me the same thing.

ME: So to fix the problem I need to add funds?
    PP: "Correct"
    ME: But I can't add funds until the issue is resolved.
    PP:"Yes sir"
    ME: So how do I fix the problem?
    PP: "Add funds from a bank account"
    ME: But I can't do that until the issue is resolved!
    PP: "Correct" "Are there any other problems I can help you with today?"

So this moebius loop of the parrot reading from a script continued until I called him a fucking idiot and asked for a supervisor.

I was told to e-mail support:

I go this today in my e-mail:
    " You cannot add or remove funds until your account issues are resolved."

I responded with a JPEG of my middle finger.
    What have you done America?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Paypal can also work to your advantage if you are the buyer and the seller doesn't deliver. I recently bought a NES lot and after a month, it still did not arrive. The seller said he sent it and had confirmation that he did but when I asked for this confirmation, I received nothing. So, I filed a complaint with paypal and to make a long story short, paypal refunded my total payment (including the shipping I spent). Now, if I were to have sent a check or money order and the seller didn't deliver, I'd be screwed.

On a side note, I'm almost positive that the seller sold the lot to someone else. There was a SuperVision cartridge in the lot and it went for like $8 for six NES games. They probably received an offer after the fact and decided to go with it. They even gave paypal a fake delivery confirmation number, people can be such morons sometimes.