Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Fatal Frame Fans ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any Fatal Frame Fans ?

I think the Fatal Frame series is fantastic but with RE and Silent Hill its tuff to break out from behind the shadows.

My favorite of the two released so far is 2 althought I'm looking forward to 3 since it has some cross over to the first one. I think their also making a movie based on the first one.

At any rate I was just wondering if anyone elese thought this series was as fantastic as I did.

Can't wait for Fatal Frame 3 : The Tormented

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep I love it. IMO its the scariest SH series out there, especially FF1. In RE or SH you can memorize the game and run through it the same very time. In FF you will have ghosts jump out at you with no wawrning randomly when you enter a room. Its much more intense since you never get any rest or predictablility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I likes me some Fatal Frame- only ever played the first.

I got through it once already, but began it again not long ago. I was home alone, playing it in the dark (I think it was even raining outside) & just at the part where I was checking out the closet, I heard someone say "Heyyy..." from the stairs! A chill went up my spine, then I realized it was from the surround sound speaker behind me (near the stairs).

I dont think I'll ever forget that...it's right up there w/ the first time the dog crashed through the window in RE. & dont tell me that's a spoiler! :P
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got REALLY into the Xbox version, getting pretty far. I was really good at zero shooting all the ghosts and had tons of exp points for the camera, and had every single "unqiue" ghost shot (ie, twisted neck girl falling off buliding, kid running past door) but I got to this one ghost that swings left and right as it moves through a hallway of doors and it kept kicking my ass over and over again. So I kinda got stuck there and never progressed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

The thing i like about Fatal Frame (Project Zero) is that the developers actually work hard on the atmosphere and they use scientific psycological information to mould the experience into something truely terrifying.

I'm really hoping that FF3 gets an xbox version (which it almost certainly will) because in the past the xbox version was the better version. Especially with FF2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    The thing i like about Fatal Frame (Project Zero) is that the developers actually work hard on the atmosphere and they use scientific psycological information to mould the experience into something truely terrifying.
    wow I didn't know that. Now I don't feel so bad that these games scared the crap out of me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    wow I didn't know that. Now I don't feel so bad that these games scared the crap out of me.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I really dig the FF series but I have to admit that I think the whole camera thing needs to be rethought. Its very unsatisfying...it just doesn’t do anything for me. I need something with a little more aggression behind it. I think the camera thing could work but they need to start from the drawing board IMO.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I really dig the FF series but I have to admit that I think the whole camera thing needs to be rethought. Its very unsatisfying...it just doesn’t do anything for me. I need something with a little more aggression behind it. I think the camera thing could work but they need to start from the drawing board IMO.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Hi there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Hi there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker
    I think that's kind of the point. If you want to have a gun or a chainsaw, just play any other SH game out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I think that's kind of the point. If you want to have a gun or a chainsaw, just play any other SH game out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    I think that's the point too. But they could do a better job than that warping effect when you defeat somebody.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    I think that's the point too. But they could do a better job than that warping effect when you defeat somebody.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm quite fond of the Fatal Frame series. Fatal Frame (1) was the first game I have played that actually scared the bejeezus out of me. I find it extreamly difficult to be scared at the other SH games... I mean sure, I jumped in my seat the first time the zombie dogs leap at you through glass in RE. But that was more of a startle than an actual scare. It's hard to be terrified by dead things that want to eat you when your better armed than the Montana Militia. Part of true fear, I belive, is the vulnerability and psychological battery that Fatal delivers in pure spades. IMO the zenith of the SH genre to date.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm quite fond of the Fatal Frame series. Fatal Frame (1) was the first game I have played that actually scared the bejeezus out of me. I find it extreamly difficult to be scared at the other SH games... I mean sure, I jumped in my seat the first time the zombie dogs leap at you through glass in RE. But that was more of a startle than an actual scare. It's hard to be terrified by dead things that want to eat you when your better armed than the Montana Militia. Part of true fear, I belive, is the vulnerability and psychological battery that Fatal delivers in pure spades. IMO the zenith of the SH genre to date.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the camera could fire Soul-Rockets. Or better yet ditch the whole camera thing completely and copy every other SH title by giving the teenage girl a chain-gun Vulcan Raven style... sweeet! That would be... teh kewl!!!11!

Seriously though, the camera is an integral part of the whole spookiness formula... I think they could make some of the upgrades a little better (read: more useful). But change the function of the camera too much and your messing with the whole vulnerability aspect I mentioned in my previous post... therefore cheapening the experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the camera could fire Soul-Rockets. Or better yet ditch the whole camera thing completely and copy every other SH title by giving the teenage girl a chain-gun Vulcan Raven style... sweeet! That would be... teh kewl!!!11!

Seriously though, the camera is an integral part of the whole spookiness formula... I think they could make some of the upgrades a little better (read: more useful). But change the function of the camera too much and your messing with the whole vulnerability aspect I mentioned in my previous post... therefore cheapening the experience.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just completed the first one, and I have to say I prefer it over any of the Resident Evil games. The only bit in any of the RE's that made me jump was in RE, where you'd be walking down a corridor and all of a sudden zombie arms would burst through the boarded up windows... After that, it was all plain sailing really, while FF1 had several bits in it that scared the hell out of me. Like Acidic_Pain said, being a young girl trapped in a haunted mansion with only a camera and a torch would be a hell of a lot scarier then being trapped in a mansion and being armed to the teeth.

Can't wait to play the second one. Won it off eBay last night And the third one is definately on my "to-buy" list.