Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Really Big Bosses

After playing through the first level of God of War, where you have to climb up to the top of the ship just to get to the middle head of the Hydra, I got to thinking "these are the kinds of bosses I like best". The bosses who are so massive in scale that you might just wet yourself wondering how the tiny creature you've been playing could possibly win the battle.

A few others come to mind: remember the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man in the Genesis version of Ghostbusters? Though you don't see the whole character, he's clearly way bigger than you are. Likewise for the end boss, Loki, on Ghouls & Ghosts and the fifth level boss in Forgotten Worlds, all Genesis games.

Think about it. What bosses are so incredibly huge in scale that they made you think... "that's one really BIG boss right there"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a bunch of HUGE bosses in Resident Evil 4. The only one really mentionable without any spoilers is the big chained guy whose back you jump onto near the beginning of the game.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are some hugemoungus bosses in Painkiller, a FPS for PC. That was kind of one of the things about the game... "Look at the gigantic enemies and the awesome physics!"
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stage 3 of R-type, where the entire level is one gigantic battleship you have to take out piece by piece. One of the coolest bosses ever.

Going to have to check out Shadow of the Collossus when it comes out, the entire game is supposed to be entirely boss battles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Castlevania: SOTN

Contra: Hardcorps

Ghouls & Ghosts (LOKI!)

Phantasy Star series (Remember Mother Brain from part 2?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I second the Coloussus game coming..you actually have to run up the one character's sword to even get to him!

Off the top of my head:

Low G Man - Several Screen high bosses on NES

Final Fantasy 6(3) - Kefka's 3 Story End Boss Mode
    Final Fantasy 7 - Not so huge, but Seph's wing span, my lord!

X-men Vs Street Fighter
    Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter
    Marvel Vs Capcom 1 + 2
    - All of them had bosses that either stood to/past the top of the screen, or took up the entire stage (like Apocalypse in MVSF)

Warhawk - Techincal Merit. You had to destroy the outside, then actually fly into this huge ship to retrieve the icon. I Still remember doing that during the aunch year of the PSX. Blew me away the first time i had to do it.

Advance Wars 2 and Ico - Technicallity: While the bosses themselves were a decent, regular size, it was theirattack that was so massive it deifed logic, as well as took up the entire stage. Were you not behind the sword in Ico, or on the one single spot on the map in Wars 2, you were as good as dead.

Transformers PS2- Tidalwave Stage. 55 Meters of walking aircraft carrier shooting 20+ missile salvos at you, with you having the ENTIRE STAGE as your escape route. So...freaking..awesome. Worth the entry fee alone to play the game.

Transformers PS2 - Unicron! You took on the entire Planet. Can't get no bigger than that

There's a PS1 game on the tip of my tongue that had a huge ass boss fight, and for the life of me I'm drawing a blank....

Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Super Metroid, Kraid.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Don't forget the bosses at the end of EVERY level of Phantasy Star Online. The giant dragon in the first stage is a great set-up for the others you'll meet in the game and the new ones added to v2 and the Episode II gang.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    There are some hugemoungus bosses in Painkiller, a FPS for PC. That was kind of one of the things about the game... "Look at the gigantic enemies and the awesome physics!"
    Agree, I think Painkiller have the biggest bosses (atleast the first and last). I never played any other games that have this big bosses and that gives you the feeling that they are huge.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Contra III and hard corps both had some pretty huge screen-filling bosses. Along with resident evil 4 and r-type which were already mentioned. The scarab in Halo 2 and the last boss in doom 3 come to mind too.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The boss at the end of the first stage in Megaman X2 comes to mind. I thought it was a nice way to cap off the first level, since you don't really expect to fight something that huge so early on in the game.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kid Icarus (GameBoy) "Giant Orcos"

Wrath of the Black Manta (NES) <--- "Tiny" boss

TMNT <--- Giant Mouser

Super Ghouls N Ghosts <--- "Lord SARDIUS"

Mega Man in Wily Wars (Megadrive) <--- Wily Tower, the final form of Dr.Wily

Ninja Gaiden <--- "The Demon"

CastleVania 64 <--- Drac's final form...man that was huge...

Zelda Majora's Mask <---Twin Mold (Worms) in the Stone Temple

Silent Hill 3 <--- "GOD"...pretty freaky...

and let's not forget....DEMON'S CREST....The Zombie Dragon at the very beginning of the stage!
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Almost forgot, last boss in Serious Sam is also pretty big.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Final Fantasy series were full of bosses that took out the screen, more namely final battles
    >FF3/6, the 3 story Hieronymous (sp?) Bosch type monster and Kefka himself
    >Neo Exdeath (FF5)
    >Zeromus (FF2/4)
    >Master NORG (FF8)
    >The "Weapon" bosses in 7-10

And Leopaldon (Guilty Gear Isuka)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Damn good ones have been mentioned thus far, but thought I'd also add Titanic Lance from Darius Gaiden. That mofo is so gargantuan that he wouldn't even be able to fit in the original three-screen wide Darius cabinet! And you fight him in the regular-screened Gaiden, which makes him look all the more larger!

Also, Queen Fossil from G-Darius (and her feverish cousin, Fire Fossil) can't cram themselves on the screen all at once. It's rather beautiful.

Final Vargas at the end of Power Stone was unnaturally huge for a fighting game boss, as well as the Pharoah Walker and Dr. Erode from PS2. Ooh, for that matter, Apocalypse from X-Men vs. Street Fighter/Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, Onslaught's second form from Marvel vs. Capcom, and Abyss' third form from Marvel vs. Capcom 2... all grossly oversized and fuggin' cheap bosses they are.

What about that big mutated mass of flesh at the end of Stage 3 of Shinobi 3? What an excellent boss that guy is, and only his upper torso fits on the screen all at once.

The big gigantic Icon of Sin at the end of Doom 2/Final Doom is gigantic beyond compare, even if it is really just a wall with a goat face and an open cavity in its head that's really just an opening for John Romero's head on a stick, which is the actual boss and isn't very big at all. But the wall's big, so that's why the IoS is on here.

Typhon from Rygar: The Legendary Adventure was grandly giant too. Five demonic baby heads just WAITING for you to die!

Ever fight the Forgotten One in Castlevania: Lament of Innocence? Oh geez... what a titan. He's basically the brother of Beelzebub from Symphony of the Night (also insanely huge), and you gotta fight three different sections of this thing's rotted body to succeed and snag the coveted black orb. NOT FREAKING EASY.

That's all for now, I'll see if I can recount more later.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    Low G Man - Several Screen high bosses on NES

Warhawk - Techincal Merit. You had to destroy the outside, then actually fly into this huge ship to retrieve the icon. I Still remember doing that during the aunch year of the PSX. Blew me away the first time i had to do it.
    Ah man, you took Low G Man, which was what I came in here to post about That game had some awesome bosses.

I liked fighting Grig Org in Panzer Dragoon Saga, though it's really not as big as some of the other stuff already listed. It seems kinda small when you're fighting it until the camera pulls back and shows just how small you really are in comparison.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Contra: Shattered Soldier has a bunch of huge bosses including a giant mech and a massive battleship.

Devil May Cry features some huge bosses like a giant Falcon.

Resident Evil's Plant-42 was giant.

but honestly i don't think we're gonna top Unicron when it comes to sheer size. Good o'l Transformers.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah I forgot about X/M vs. SF. I remember when X vs SF first came out, there was something about the Apocalypse fight that drew in crowds when someone fights him.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Magic of Scheherazade (NES): Wow, I remember as we played it (my mother played most and I watched) that sometimes the NES crashes, because the Boss Enemies where so big and too still moveing. So it was to much for the NES and sometimes the game was unplayable.

The Guardian Legend (NES) has too some big Boss enemies. Sometimes you have see only parts from them, when I not wrong. The last Boss for example. I have always wonder me, that this game play without much trouble. So much enemies at the same time on the screen and so big Bosses. And no big slow down on the NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second the Phantasy Star Series Big freaking bosses!

New one- Phelios. The final boss takes up most of the top of the screen!