Thread: Some really ignorant PC game questions from a newbie

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Some really ignorant PC game questions from a newbie

Ok, first off... go easy on me.
    I jsut got a new computer and its got a capable graphics card so i wanted to explore the world of PC gaming. More specifiacally MMORPGs. I have a few questions about how these games work. I have been a gamer for years, but my knowledge of gaming is limited to consoles. Star wars galaxies, and City of heroes are the two games I will start off with so lets apply the questoins to these two games.

1. Ok, by MMORPGs, do they mean that everyone is running around in real time with the ability to interact with each other, or is it like Champions of Norath where you hook up with other players at a hub at the beginning of the session?

2. Does it occupy any space on my computers memory, or is al the info stored on the disc with the exception of the info on Items in my inventory and things like that? (I hope that was understandable)

3. Do the specs of my computer accomidate games of this type. (Specifications
    CPU: Intel® Celeron® D Processor 335
    (256KB L2 cache, 2.80GHz, 533MHz FSB)
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP2 1
    Chipset: Intel® 865GV chipset
    Memory: 256MB DDR SDRAM
    Expandable to 2GB
    Hard Drive: 80GB 2
    Optical Drives: 48x CD-RW (48 x 32 x 48)
    Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics2
    64MB shared video memory
    Sound: AC '97 audio
    Modem: 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem
    Network: Intel® PRO 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet
    Peripherals: Standard multifunction keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
    Dimensions: 14.125"H x 7.25"W x 16"D
    Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 (2 in front, 4 in back), 1 VGA external connector, 1 serial, 1 parallel, 2 PS/2 (keyboard and mouse)
    Pre-Installed
    Software: Microsoft® Works 8.0 1, Microsoft® Office 2003 Trial (60-day complimentary subscription), Microsoft® Money 2005, Microsoft® Encarta Online, Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™, Microsoft® Windows Media Player 10, Microsoft® Internet Explorer, RealNetworks RealPlayer®, CyberLink® Napster 3.0, Quicktime, AOL 9.0 (w/3 months membership included), Google Toolbar, Norton Internet Security™ 2005 (90-day complimentary trial)3, McAfee Anti-Spyware 2005 (30 day complimentary trial), eMachines BigFix®

i guess thats it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    J
    "Do you find me sadistic?" - BILL

Collection and want list
    http://65.61.168.22/Collection/gamec...erid=link21580

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I can't help on #1, don't play MMORPGs, I assume you have to install something on your system though for #2, and your computer looks pretty good except for the 256 MB of RAM (at least 512)...and possibly the video card. Because some of these games are rather intensive graphically, and a 64 MB card, while decent...may not give you the quality you'd like.

Hope that helps
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, yeah I put another 256 of ram in there too.

Collection and want list

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Usualy the mmorpg doesnt requires a monster PC to run. Like City of Heros require minimun 800mhz CPU, think World of Warcraft is the same.
    So I dont think you would have any problems running them, but the gfx wont be that good.

But why not upgrade the RAM? 256mb isnt very much today and its not that expencive to upgrade. Is that 3d card onboard?

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Yes, there's people running around in real-time.
    2. Yes, it occupies space on your machine, around 1-3GB.
    3. I think your computer could do MMOs on that setup, though it probably will be on the lower end when it comes to graphics. Your modem will be more of a problem, though. I haven't played MMOs over a 56k connection, but you'll probably experience lag here and there.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Some really ignorant PC game questions from a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jezt
    1. Ok, by MMORPGs, do they mean that everyone is running around in real time with the ability to interact with each other, or is it like Champions of Norath where you hook up with other players at a hub at the beginning of the session?
    It depends on the game. In Guild Wars for instance everyone can interact with each other while in towns but once you go out into the wilderness you get your own virtual game and don't interact with anyone outside of your party. In Something like Diablo II on the other hand anyone can join any game at any time unless the person who made the game password protected it.

2. Does it occupy any space on my computers memory, or is al the info stored on the disc with the exception of the info on Items in my inventory and things like that? (I hope that was understandable)
    I'm not sure what your asking here but any game will take up RAM when you're running the game and will always take up hard drive space.

3. Do the specs of my computer accomidate games of this type. (Specifications
    CPU: Intel® Celeron® D Processor 335
    (256KB L2 cache, 2.80GHz, 533MHz FSB)
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP2 1
    Memory: 256MB DDR SDRAM
    Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics2
    64MB shared video memory
    These are the important specs for PC gaming. As others have said, get more RAM. in fact, get at least another 512mb if you can afford it. RAM is cheap. You can get 512mb for about $40 some places.

Also, you have an intergrated video card. These cards tend to suck a bit. They also share your system's RAM so since you have 64mb SHARED video ram it means that Windows on;y has access to 192mb RAM which is going to cause things to run way too slow. Invest $150 into a middle of the road video card and you'll benefit from it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would definitly get a more ram anywhere from 512 to even go up to 1 gb

it's fairly cheap and definitly worthwhile

I also would recommend to look for a different video card especially since you have an intergrated video card, otherwise everything else is decent and will be good for games

Join me on Diablo 2

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for all your help keep em comin. i appreciate all the help.

Collection and want list

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MMORPG's

You need DSL or Cable internet. You can get by with the video card and ram for a time (do not install Doom 3 you will not be happy). Yeak Ram is cheap (did you say you had 512? cool for now, gig is great though). The Video Card is all you need to consider for gaming, it's more important than your CPU which is decent enough. I'd wait to buy though, NVidia just released their newest card and ATI is preparing for a release. You should be seeing some significant price drops on mid-range video cards soon (check your circulars and get there at once to grab one, they sell out in minutes sometimes). I have a Geforce 6800 something or other and would suggest it as a minimum starting point (you can then attempt Doom 3 at medium setings).

Oh yeah, some(all) of the MMORPG's save your profile (character information) on their server. Of course the game installs on your hard-drive and usually you have a choice of installations (partial, middle, or complete). Complete being the idea, 80 GB is enough, and hard-drives are cheaper then ram, often enough now.

Trebuken

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have two hardrives on my computer, one that came with the Pc and the other from my old pc. How will this affect my foray into the world of PC gaming?

Collection and want list

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default More games.

If the PC is just for games, chances are you wouldn't need bothe drives. Unless you want to have dozens of current games installed at once. I find that drive space is needed mainly for audio/video...people storind DVD's and MP3's on their drives use significantly more space than game players...

Though a complete MAME set could eat up a chunk of it...

Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Except for Guild Wars most MMORPG's are in real time with real people's characters running around. GW is more of meet peeps at a "hub" then all instance type missions where you only interact with the people in your party.

Your computer is good enough but you will have to tone down all the graphics settings in most of the current online games due to your integrated video card. More RAM (up to 1g) will help a ton. Anymore than 1g right now is not put to use even though I have 2g.

You have plenty of hard drive space so don't worry about that.

Now are you using dial-up or broadband? Your computer has a dial-up modem and an ethernet card. Of course broadband is much better. You will be downloading a ton of patches after you install a MMORPG so a faster connection here will help. Alot of games work fine with dial-up but if you are serious about this type of game playing go with a broadband connction ASAP.

I've played just about every MMORPG out there at one time so PM me for any specific game questions.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know people have said this, but I'll say it again anyways =P
    Got more ram. I'd say a 512 stick, because in the future you are going to want to get more, and its better to have more on one stick to take up less space. Get a better graphics card. I'd say a 9800 PRO card, they are going for a pretty decent price, and its still a nice card (I can run HL2 on it, Doom 3, FarCry, a lot of high end stuff at nice levels). And, if you're going to want to do ANY online gaming (and, MMORPG would suggest 'yes') you NEED a cable modem, without a second thought. (also, might I suggest World of Warcraft or Guild Wars. Or, if you really want to go with City of Heroes, wait until City of Villans comes out, its supposed to be better on every possible level)
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

your pc seems good but you may have some problems with integrated graphics on my old PC I had so much trouble running games. You can get a good graphics card to add to your system for $150-$200.

I would be a bit concerned though if I could not play a MMO at it's best I may think twice about paying for those fees monthly x_x

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, so I have DSL, it seems all I will need is a better graphics card. I am gonna get City of Hereoes today and see if it will work well with what I have and then go from there. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Collection and want list

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, so I got city of heroes. I am at a place called City of Heroes updater, and it seems to be taking an unusually long time. Should I be woried or is this normal. It is taking forever.

Collection and want list

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it take three hours to get all the updates or is my computer being pushed too far? how long does it take you guys? HELP!!!

Collection and want list

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Evil_Skrilla

It can take about 3 hours to get all the patches needed. After you get the first bunch of patches done the ones after that don't really take nearly as long.

If your looking to play on a good server i would reccomend Liberty.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

whew......thanks...one hour to go. hopefully by then I will be playing coh online....

Collection and want list

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah!! ALL up and running. Thank you for your help. It was much appreciated. It doenst look as good as if I had a better video card, but it plays with little or no lag. Thanks again. My name on the game will be Gavriel if anyone is interested. See you in Paragon city. (I feel like a MMORPG Geek already).

Collection and want list