Thread: What is this ancient PC game?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is this ancient PC game?

Alright, I don't remember much about this game, but hey, it never hurts to ask. This game was on an old Windows 95 system that my cousin had. I remember the title screen consisted of a room with the title near the top, and a ladder going down into the actual game. It was something like "Perilous Adventure" or "Madness Dungeon" and the letters were large enough to fill up the top half of the screen. It was a platform game, and there always seemed to be a whole lot of conveyor belts, ladders, spike pits etc. The setup was very non-linear. I want to say that going left after you climbed down the first ladder was a tough, dark part full of conveyor belts. Going to the right was an easier route. If anyone remembers "Dangerous Dave," I believe this game was around the same time. Very pixely graphics that tended to be dark. This was not a happy game, but an adventure game in every respect of the word. Any point in the right direction would be awesome. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Montezuma's Revenge. No question, really.

The game is available on a considerable range of systems (the Apple II, C64, and Coleco Vision are the first to come to mind); there was also a relatively recent remake, Montezuma's Return, released on the GBC. There's also an entirely different 3D sequel available; you can check it out (along with the PC version of Montezuma's Revenge, I think) at http://www.the-underdogs.org .
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I don't think it would be Montezuma's Revenge... the PC version of the game was meant for ancient 8086 and 286 style hardware. Getting it to run under Windows 95 would be pretty tricky. I have an P133 DOS bos in my basement, and even then it's almost impossible to slow the computer down enough to make the game even remotely playable.

--Zero

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome. The game I was thinking of was totally Montezuma's Revenge. Kudos for remembering something that archaic! Now, if anyone knows how I can slow it the hell down... ><

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    I don't think it would be Montezuma's Revenge... the PC version of the game was meant for ancient 8086 and 286 style hardware. Getting it to run under Windows 95 would be pretty tricky. I have an P133 DOS bos in my basement, and even then it's almost impossible to slow the computer down enough to make the game even remotely playable.

--Zero
    slo mo...its a dos app that eats un-needed clock cycles...i used it for a megaman based dos game. it worked for my p233 w/MMX

for those who dont know alot of the old games since they used cpu only power for all the graphical and in put stuff, relied on clock cycles to keep everything in sync sort of speak and on a newer computer (Pentium 133 for example) its so much faster compared to a 8086 (2-6Mhz) and a 286 (8-16) and thus caused a super speed up where evey thing seemed to happen instant. like you hit an awwor key to move and you instantly appear across the room or fall in the nearest pit instantly

granted there were versions of an 8086 and a 286 faster than those but back then they cost alot more than a processor now (even with inflation factored in) so the average person would have had an average processor of such a speed range...i have a 486 board with a price tag on it which read $986 U.S.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro

--Zero
    slo mo...its a dos app that eats un-needed clock cycles...i used it for a megaman based dos game. it worked for my p233 w/MMX

for those who dont know alot of the old games since they used cpu only power for all the graphical and in put stuff, relied on clock cycles to keep everything in sync sort of speak and on a newer computer (Pentium 133 for example) its so much faster compared to a 8086 (2-6Mhz) and a 286 (8-16) and thus caused a super speed up where evey thing seemed to happen instant. like you hit an awwor key to move and you instantly appear across the room or fall in the nearest pit instantly

granted there were versions of an 8086 and a 286 faster than those but back then they cost alot more than a processor now (even with inflation factored in) so the average person would have had an average processor of such a speed range...i have a 486 board with a price tag on it which read $986 U.S.
    Montezuma's Revenge is defenietly an excellent platformer. I like the SMS version the best, but the pc version is just as great. Hehe, I remember playing this game with slomo way back when I got my first pentium. The program was always advertised by pc gamer and it worked pretty well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Re: What is this ancient PC game?

Quote Originally Posted by GetImOliver
    Alright, I don't remember much about this game, but hey, it never hurts to ask. This game was on an old Windows 95 system that my cousin had. I remember the title screen consisted of a room with the title near the top, and a ladder going down into the actual game. It was something like "Perilous Adventure" or "Madness Dungeon" and the letters were large enough to fill up the top half of the screen. It was a platform game, and there always seemed to be a whole lot of conveyor belts, ladders, spike pits etc. The setup was very non-linear. I want to say that going left after you climbed down the first ladder was a tough, dark part full of conveyor belts. Going to the right was an easier route. If anyone remembers "Dangerous Dave," I believe this game was around the same time. Very pixely graphics that tended to be dark. This was not a happy game, but an adventure game in every respect of the word. Any point in the right direction would be awesome. Thanks!
    Dangerous Dave is early 90's, isn't it? Montezuma's Revenge is much earlier.

BTW, when I got my first PC back in '93, DD was one of the first games I downloaded off a BBS. Oh how I miss freeware/shareware. BBS's too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama

I remember some games that ran too quickly even on my old 12 MHz 286!

Anyway, Moslo and its ilk are rather sloppy and ineffective on newer computers. A much more useful program is DOSBox, which not only has fairly smooth speed throttling, but also tends to solve a lot of game compatibility problems under 2K/XP.

(Oldskool.org has a rather nifty sounding program that kills one's processor speed by putting it into power saving mode, but I never tried it myself.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

CPU Killer and CPU Grab are two other apps for slowing down your machine. They are easy to use Windows apps, so they won't help with older DOS games but will help with older games that run in Windows. For the DOS stuff, yeah, DosBox is the way to go. It's the app that convinced me to finally get rid of my old DOS computer.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is just the kind of application I was looking for. Thanks everyone for the help!